• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Pop Culture References in Buffy & Angel

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
In "Deadman's Party", Xander says:

"Man, this sucker wobbles, but he won't fall down!"

Weebles, a toy produced by Kenner, were egg-shaped figures that were weighted on the bottom and would always return to right side up. That was their advertising slogan from the 1970's - "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down".

Tank1978

Scooby
In either belonging or over the rainbow cordy clicks her heels together hoping it might magic her home. Reference to wizard of oz, as is the episode title. Next episode is Through the looking glass which is an Alice in wonderland book .

Becoming - spike refers to humans as happy meals on legs.

Soul purpose - Fred says spike is a real boy again. I think there's another Pinocchio reference towards the end of buffy season 5. Jepetti or something close to that.

Willow refers to herself as the computer whisperer in Buffy v Dracula

In never leave me the butcher calls Andrew "Neo" in reference to his outfit looking like Keanu Reeves character in matrix

BaskingINBangel

I'm a little bit bison
I have noticed a few references to The Twilight Zone on BtVS, and AtS.

Older and Far Away - Xander makes a reference to the TZ episode "It's a Good Life."
Lessons - Dawn says to Buffy "You never know what's coming, the stake is not the power, To Serve Man is a cookbook." This is in reference to the TZ episode "To Serve Man."

Also, I could kick myself for not remembering what episode it's from, but I'm almost positive that Gunn also makes a reference to the episode "To Serve Man" somewhere in season four of Ats.

Tank1978

Scooby
Watching help last night when they are researching cassie dawn asks willow if she's googled her. Xander hadn't heard of Google! Willow also mentions doogie howser.

Not pop culture, but in Greek mythology the goddess Cassandra was cursed to utter prophecies that no one believed but ultimately came true.

Dneifrenid

Townie
In S5 of "Angel," Spike wonders if the door in the tree where Drogyn lives is the door to Christmas Land, a "Nightmare Before Xmas" reference. When nobody gets his joke, he accuses them of never having any fun.

Hunga Munga

Potential
In "Deadman's Party", Xander says:

"Man, this sucker wobbles, but he won't fall down!"

Weebles, a toy produced by Kenner, were egg-shaped figures that were weighted on the bottom and would always return to right side up. That was their advertising slogan from the 1970's - "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down".

I came here to post that very one :D . It occurred to me the other month that many of the new generation of young viewers just haven't been soaked in advertising like most of us older generations were . There are quite a few advertising specific jokes, even in the first episode .

Priceless

Scooby
Watching Soul Purpose and when Spike opens the door to Wes and Gunn he greets them with 'Well look who's come to call, Crockett and Tubbs' 😁 Would younger viewers even get that reference nowadays?

Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
Miami Vice has reboot written all over it :)
Puppet
Puppet
I get it, because it's a part of pop culture, but I've never personally seen the show.
Top Bottom