• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffy challenge: signs indicating Spike's crush leading up to S5 Out of My Mind

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
@ Debbicles, I've done the same myself many times :)
I think that was under the thread Why do you love Spuffy? in the Back Steps. But I can post similar links here.

I love the similarity to Spuffy because I believe a lot of parallels exist - Spike and Buffy's journey are often conveyed through symbolic touches like the "torch", the "fire", the "spark" (Spike's soul) and "sensation/feeling" metaphor. Despite the writing cast probably not having the Sufi tradition in mind, Spike and Buffy's romantic progression does seem to echo elements from the Sufi framework pretty closely - especially seen in the excerpted lyrics below (the "spark"). I mean, there are many interpretations of the song but this comes as close as can be, though the lyrics are never exact:

You, just you everywhere...
You, the entire spectrum of a rainbow
You, who turns to any colour you choose
You bounty of radiance,
Why are you distant?
When you are close
You are feeling itself
Are you the dream or a silhouette?
You, the spectrum of a rainbow
Changing to any colour you choose

When will this wild wind rest?
There is no conquering love,
It is a spark, says Ghalib
That cannot be lit by will
Or extinguished by force.
No force works on love
It is a spark, says Ghalib.

I am tangled in your paths,
I am tangled in your arms,
Let me untangle myself
Now that your desire has me ensnared,
My living is an obsession...
My death is an obsession...
There is no relief but this...
There is no control over love
It is a spark, says Ghalib
Which cannot be lit by will
Or extinguished by force.

Here's one with no music with lyrics translated to English:

Another version with english subs:

and the original link Kaal - Chiron...: Seven Stages of Love

Last edited:
debbicles
debbicles
Thank you so much for this ❤

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Where The Wild Things Are, Spike volenteers himself to save Buffy & Riley until he asks himself why he would do that. But still, he volenteered to save Buffy, his old enemy that he wanted to kill since a long time ago & cheered when Faith was a threat in This Year Girl.

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
There are a lot of signs. The first big one that made me think "Uh-oh, they're gonna make him a love interest" was when they faught together to take down Angelus in "Becoming", way back in Season 2. Then again when we see the flashback of him and Dru in Season 3 and she says "You're all covered with her"... I was seeing the hints all along the way, so by the time they showed that he had a deep crush on her in Season 5, I had been expecting it.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
There are a lot of signs. The first big one that made me think "Uh-oh, they're gonna make him a love interest" was when they faught together to take down Angelus in "Becoming", way back in Season 2. Then again when we see the flashback of him and Dru in Season 3 and she says "You're all covered with her"... I was seeing the hints all along the way, so by the time they showed that he had a deep crush on her in Season 5, I had been expecting it.
Technically the 'you're covered in her' flashback took place in S5 (though it flashed back to S3) but I get what you're saying. Whether they meant to or not (and I don't think they meant to until S4, at the earliest) there were definite moments that you can see all the way back in S2.

Priceless

Scooby
Just the fact that Spike would team up with The Chosen One to save the world in S2 is huge. It transcends everything we've ever understood about vampires and slayers in general and Spike and Buffy in particular. I'm not saying that it meant anything romantic, but there were feelings there that as far as we know had never happened between a slayer and unsouled vampire.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'm not saying that it meant anything romantic, but there were feelings there that as far as we know had never happened between a slayer and unsouled vampire.
You could also argue that everything that came after was a result of that night. Had they not teamed up, maybe Spike wouldn't have returned in Lovers Walk. Also, it's way too big of a coincidence (in-universe) that the Gem of Amara just happened to be in Sunnydale. Maybe in a world without the truce, he would've searched out a different magical item somewhere else.

Before the truce, the most I will say is that they were physically attracted to one another, even if they couldn't admit it. Without a truce, it never would've been anything more (or possibly, at least.)

Black Thorn
Season 2
  • James Marsters said he played Spike in the scene he's stalking her at the Bronze to be looking at her in a sexual way.
  • He teamed up with the slayer in the first place.
  • the 'Oh God he's going to kill her'
Season 3
  • He talks about his break up with Drusilla and the way he speaks about the team up with Buffy makes it sound like he cheated on her.
Season 4
  • Something Blue - basically everything that happens in that episode happens again in a way, Xander becomes attracted to another demon, Giles becomes 'blinded' figuratively, Buffy and Spike relationship happens.
  • Spike chooses to help Buffy in 'Where the Wild Things Are' and then changes his mind.
  • Teams up with Buffy again in 'Primeval'
I'm not a spuffy shipper but I took these as possible signs.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
They shared scenes together- That's generally all shippers need to assume the relationship was planned all along.

Realistically, nothing was planned before Season 4 at the earliest when Spike became a regular. Spike was certainly not in love with Buffy or have a crush on her in Season 2 or 3.

TriBel

Scooby
Spike wasn't "in love" with Buffy in the early seasons - nor was Buffy "in love" with Spike. They don't have to be. They can hate each other and then realise they love each other (without retcon but with retrospective understanding) because love and hate are very similar emotions - they come from the same place. It sounds a bit of a cheesy cliche but science tells us so and psychology tells us so. More importantly, Buffy tells us something similar in S7 (Potential). So it doesn't matter whether they planned Spuffy or not - it always had the potential to happen.

AMANDA One of the boys who picks on me, I kind of—See, if a guy picks on you, is it weird to think he's cute? BUFFY (grins uncomfortably, leans back in her chair) Oh.. (sighs) AMANDA It's just, the last few times I've seen him, I've wanted to, you know, pick on him...extra. More. BUFFY (stifles a laugh) Uh-huh. AMANDA The thing is, I can't tell. My mom says when a guy teases you, it means he likes you. BUFFY (nods) Sometimes that's true. AMANDA Is it weird? We're mean to each other, and we like each other. BUFFY Well, it depends. Sometimes that's how people relate. Being mean to each other. Even mortal enemies— (increasingly emphatic) Then with the— And that leads to no good, absolutely no good. And much confusion. A-and then it's over. Absolutely, seriously, definitely over. And that's confusing too. The over part. Which it is. Over! (catches herself, calms a bit) So, maybe. Amanda looks somewhat confused. Buffy smiles.

Top Bottom