• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Veggie/Veganism

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
So I failed at being veggie this year, but I have cut down a lot, found lots of new foods to try. However I want to try again in the new year, fish has come back into the freezer again, not really sure why I bought it as I'm not a big fish fan anyway, so that's the first to go. I think chicken is the hardest to give up as it's so easy to make meals with, some things I'm able to put mushrooms in place of chicken or these:

I want to cut back on dairy too, I don't use a lot, but chocolate and ice cream are weaknesses!

Here to help! Or to encourage.

I haven't eaten meat in 16.2 years.

d2e00bd7-45aa-41cd-818b-6d015d4c17f6.jpg
These are the vegan ice creams I've tried so far. The ones with vanilla I don't think taste quite right but all the chocolate ones are good. Fudge Brownie, Cookies n Cream, Dark Truffles, & Chocolate Almond Dessert are my faves.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'll have to keep an eye out for them, I know there's a lot more choice now than there used to be, I first tried veganism over a decade ago, and got ill because I pretty much lived off chips that time! Now there's lots of choice and things I can try so it should be easier for me, I think it's just breaking old habits. I do like Swedish Glace raspberry ripple ice cream which is dairy free.

How far do people go, is it just food products or is it other areas of life as well? (not debating, just curious)

I'm definitely one of those lifestyle vegans. Recycle, adopt don't shop, more organic products, reusable shopping bags, no fur/leather, no fishing/hunting, anti pesticides, sign animal rights petitions. If I had my dream house I'd have a fruit orchard and vegetable & herbal gardens.

A lot of vegans are anti honey & silk.

Black Thorn
I'm trying to move in this direction as well. We all know the planets dying and this appears to be an area we can help reduce the damage. Trouble is I really like meat & fish, I also get free meals at work which aren't veggie as standard. I switched to soya milk at home this year which was a good step. Trying to train myself to look at the veggie options when out for meals, completely against my habits.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yeah it's difficult, I love the Linda McCartney pulled pork style burgers, I find that I can use them as burgers or once cooked break them up and use as pulled pork.

Black Thorn
So I failed at being veggie this year, but I have cut down a lot, found lots of new foods to try. However I want to try again in the new year, fish has come back into the freezer again, not really sure why I bought it as I'm not a big fish fan anyway, so that's the first to go. I think chicken is the hardest to give up as it's so easy to make meals with, some things I'm able to put mushrooms in place of chicken or these:

I want to cut back on dairy too, I don't use a lot, but chocolate and ice cream are weaknesses!
Are you doing it for your health, or is about saving the planet?

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Are you doing it for your health, or is about saving the planet?
A bit of both really, I want to reduce my cost on the planet. I want to eat more seasonal foods, things that haven't travelled half way around the world.

However I also hate the dairy industry, I've cut out milk, yoghurt and butter and rarely have cheese, chocolate and ice cream. I have difficulty in getting into habits, I'm a person that likes routine, so breaking habits is difficult for me.

At the moment I am using premade veggie food more than I would like, but I'm not a good cook and I'm also quite a fussy eater.

Check out ethnic foods (restaurants might help you here), like Indian and Thai which uses a lot of peanuts & tofu that give protein while still being delicious. Mexican food also has a lot of good veggie options, though most will add cheese (but is optional) so be careful of that if you're wanting to go the full vegan route.

Granted, much of this probably comes from around the world (though it's conceivable some is grown and produced locally), but maybe you can adapt foreign recipes to what's available. If you're that passionate about it then study it...and stay away from those that are just trying to manipulate you with guilt as they're just trying to rip you off.

Best I can suggest is Mediterranean (falafel is a tasty classic with protein and can be delicious with other items, including from other ethnic cuisines), and also Italian (plenty of mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, herbs & spices, pasta, etc, meat and cheeses are optional).

I'd personally say much of this is as easy as preparing chicken, though if you're not used to it then you'll need to get used to it. And these foods aren't only tasty, but also filling. It shouldn't take too long before it becomes routine (think of it as exercising your will so that you improve yourself mentally on top of your other goals).

One other possibility you could look into is finding veggie potlucks. I used to go to some that were hosted by the Unitarian Universalists (UUs) who would host a topic either at the church or someone's home, and everyone would bring a vegetarian dish. Most everyone brought something with cheese in it to add protein and flavor as well as to make it more filling, which left the vegans (who eschew dairy as well which is different from standard vegetarians, typically seeing it as animal exploitation) out...and many vegans didn't seem to know what to do other than buy from the store or make something no one was really interested in. I took it as a challenge and made several vegan recipes without any dairy, and even the vegetarians were getting at it. I ended up sharing many recipes, though this was over 15 years ago.

The vegans, I should add, were typically new to the lifestyle, and surely more know how to make food that is good now, rather than merely throwing extra money for vegan to pat themselves on the back. That is why I think you should look for veggie potlucks in your area, and call the UUs to see if they know of any, in which you can learn more about what works for you. On top of that, mixing with them (especially if you become friends with any) will make it all the easier for you to adapt to it and stick with it.

And to back what someone else said, beware of vegan vanilla ice cream. For many, the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle is more trendy than anything else, and so many will try to gouge you with it through unethical prices (they're charging you for your self-esteem as much as the food). While vegan ice cream is normally passable to me, one vegetarian shop praised this absurdly priced vegan vanilla ice cream saying it was worth the price and better than the real thing...I ended up getting it (I was expecting a pair of vegans to visit) and it was so disgusting (not in a spoiled way either, but like someone lightly stroked vanilla over beach sand and then froze it) I couldn't eat another bite. No one else liked it, not even the vegans, and most of it went down the sink.

The point being, just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better, better tasting, or healthier. And I know that were I to ever go vegan that I'd stick with ethnic foods and the like, not go to shops catering to my lifestyle (for that matter, I've found the prices at most vegetarian/vegan restaurants to be ridiculous as well). It's really not inconvenient to make your own, the food items that you can purchase from most ordinary grocery stores, or shops that cater to a specific community whose prices are much more reasonable.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I am trying out new recipes, one I made for that last pot luck type event I went to was a pomegranate and mint cous cous. My plan is to try out a new recipe each time I go to one, that way I can try new things and make others eat it if I don't like it!

Unfortunately where I am there's not much in the way of ethic foods, the Turkish Restaurant that has recently opened here is very meat based, and Dominoes really doesn't count!

Money is the issue with chocolate, some dairy free chocolate is quite good, and not really dark, but it costs a lot more.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
So when did vegan become abou just food? Vegan is more a lifestyle than just about what you eat. Clothing, hygiene products, make-up, etc, all that is affected by a vegan lifestyle. But nowadays people seemingly use vegan and vegetarian synonymously. And I'm like oh, look, a nit! let me pick it. There are some vegans that refuse to use public transportation because, among other things, the have leather-trimmed seats.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think many people view food as the gateway to veganism, for me however it has been the other way around, other than my shampoo bar which contains honey all other things are vegan. At least in regards to bathroom items.

Leather is more difficult, as I don't want to throw away good shoes or bags, I'd rather continue using them until they fall apart, then buy different when I need to.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Don't forget to make sure they don't test on animals.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Nice try, but I'm not a chocolate ice cream fan, now if it was strawberry ice cream!

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I shall have to go on a hunt for vegan strawberry ice cream, the raspberry ripple is pretty good, but I'm sure I can find a strawberry one.

Top Bottom