• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Xander Positivity Thread

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Guys, please report posts/karma you think are inappropriate rather than policing threads on your own - let the mods do it because otherwise it just creates bad feelings.

:)

RachM
RachM
Sorry, my bad.
I love Xander in every shape and every form, but my post will mainly focus on High School Xander and why he's awesome since most talked about later seasons Xander:

I personally enjoy Xander more during the high school years than the later years. High School Xander is simply charming. He’s witty, he’s clever, he’s brave, he’s outgoing, he’s a leader and most importantly, he’s very integral to the plot.

Reasons to love Xander in the high school seasons:

1) There's more range to Xander in the high school seasons (especially S2). He was a natural leader, he was smart, he was aggressive, he was funny... I'll be quoting Andrew S from another forum here, "When I said Xander was most complex during Season 2, I meant in terms of the range he showed. Season 2-Xander was consistently hilarious, infuriating, heartwarming and heroic, being able to bring a variety of reactions out of me, often during the same episodes. In "When She Was Bad" for instance, Xander was funny ("A bitca?"), sympathetic (when Buffy did the sexy dance of torture), infuriating ("If they hurt Willow, I'll kill you!") and sensitive (knowing Buffy needed to smash The Master's bones to get over her trauma, saving her a seat with him and Willow). There are so many episodes that season where Xander gets a hell out of a lot to do. Same to a lesser extent in Season 3. But in Seasons 5-7, his screen time was reduced and he was more just the goofy comic relief than anything else, with only the occasional heartwarming or frustrating moment."

2) Willow ranks #1 in his heart:

3) He's a badass! But not your usual boring nothing can stop me I'm so cool I have an iron fist badass! Xander is a badass with a frail fist - like most of our fists.

4) He's so good with words! So witty, they should have given him a column in the high school newspaper.

5) He knows how to break a melodramatic moment and make us laugh. I'm not just talking about the Bangel melodramatic moment in The Zeppo.

6) He used to be smart and insightful (something he lost when he became an adult - I'm blaming the Anya sex). He used to engage in literary discussions in class in high school, he knew Buffy needed to smash the Master's bones to feel safe, he came up with the way to defeat The Judge, he realized that the coach used to beat Billy and quickly grabbed him before he made with the escape.

7) He used to be a leader (Innocence and summer between S2 and S3).

8) He does a lot of saving! What the hell is Cordelia talking about in The Zeppo??? He saved Buffy's life in The Harvest, Prophecy Girl, Phases, Killed by Death, Go Fish, and Willow in Inca the Mummy Girl, Innocence and Cordelia in Some Assembly Required ... etc.

9) For a loser who gets beaten and bullied, Xander doesn’t shy away from throwing comebacks at the bullies/monsters. Makes it so weird that he's shiver and tremble in front of Jack in The Zeppo, but I've always thought that the middle of S3 is where the shift in Xander's character happens. He used to be more confident and braver in S1/S2/early S3 than the rest of the show.

10) People tend to remember Xander's fights with Buffy or his jealousy of Angel, and forget the million times he was a good friend to Buffy:

(To be continued :))

(All gifs are made by starryeyesxx)

Puppet
Puppet
F
flow
I always love your posts about Xander.
RachM
RachM
Love this whole post
peaceofmind18
peaceofmind18
Xander was by far my favorite character throughout BTVS but like you I absolutely ADORED High School Xander - Occasional intense, always hilarious and oh so hot lol - LOVE him - Thanks for this...
I am unable to be angry at Xander for this line. It is a horrible thing to say, but he doesn't say it to be cruel. He is desperate and is obviously just saying what is bubbling in his head.
I personally disagree with Andrew S because Xander's line was said out of fear and desperation for Willow as well as understandable anger at Buffy. If I'm gonna pick a moment where Xander was annoying in the episode it would be when he was rude to Willow's playful ice cream stain on her nose at the Bronze.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
Aw! Yes, that break my heart.
On a side note why does every negative thing Xander has ever said get dissected to DEATH lolol

Buffy has also said some pretty hurtful things to Xander and been quite dismissive to his feelings and it's never talked about -

-For instance telling him that Faith takes her connections to guys as a BIG JOKE could have been said with more sensitivity -

But I digress this is a POSITIVE thread not a whiny thread lol

So another positive - Even after hearing that dig Xander went to talk to Faith because ultimately he's a KIND GOOD HEARTED person, willing to put his own hurt aside to help others...

On a side note why does every negative thing Xander has ever said get dissected to DEATH lolol
The funniest thing I've ever come across were people on Tumblr discussing the line "I see two women doing spells and I do a spell on myself" to death and ripping it and Xander apart when actually Xander never said that line. It was in Willow's dream. :D

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
You should've told them to go back to the Victoria times, back when females were treated as the delicate and enfeebled flowers that those people think females are
The funniest thing I've ever come across were people on Tumblr discussing the line "I see two women doing spells and I do a spell on myself" to death and ripping it and Xander apart when actually Xander never said that line. It was in Willow's dream. :D
LOL that's hilarious ( but kinda sad ) to try and NUKE him for stuff he has't even said lolol

But away with my whining - More positive -

He's actually super optimistic - he bounces back from hurt and always tries to make the best of the situation...

I LOVED his scene with Willow after he lost his eye - he was trying to so hard to be funny and jokey about it because he could see how upset and devastated Willow was about his injury -

I mean I know he had to keep his own spirits up to keep going - but I think a big part of that scene was him trying desperately to be strong for Willow to protect her from the pain...

To me that is pretty incredible,brave,kind and awesome - And very selfless....

I LOVED his scene with Willow after he lost his eye - he was trying to so hard to be funny and jokey about it because he could see how upset and devastated Willow was about his injury -
Xander does do that a lot, he pushes pain away with a joke and never deals with it. I don't know if you've read the comics, but they talk about how Xander bottles those traumatic experiences inside until something really bad happened in the comic and Xander just couldn't bottle it down anymore.

Xander does do that a lot, he pushes pain away with a joke and never deals with it. I don't know if you've read the comics, but they talk about how Xander bottles those traumatic experiences inside until something really bad happened in the comic and Xander just couldn't bottle it down anymore.
No I haven't read too many of the comics yet though this story line sounds very interesting to me - when or what comic series ( or I guess seasons ) does this happen with Xander - I'd like to read it when I have a chance - ☺

What's the situation that pushes him over the edge if you don't mind me asking?

No I haven't read too many of the comics yet though this story line sounds very interesting to me - when or what comic series ( or I guess seasons ) does this happen with Xander - I'd like to read it when I have a chance - ☺
The big moment happens in the last issue of S8, and Xander deals with things in S9 and seeks help in S10.

What's the situation that pushes him over the edge if you don't mind me asking?
Giles gets killed in the last issue of S8 and that event was the last straw for Xander.

The big moment happens in the last issue of S8, and Xander deals with things in S9 and seeks help in S10.

Giles gets killed in the last issue of S8 and that event was the last straw for Xander.
Thanks - I shall try to give them a read -

Reading it makes our english good - ;)
Xander Harris the Funny boy another huge POSITIVE in my book...

I really don't like Xander much but here are some things that I do like

His speech to Dawn (that was very sweet).

Xander really looked out for Buffy in Beer Bad.

I love his crayon speech to Willow. He saved the world with his words. That's pretty powerful.

Sometimes I enjoy his and Anya's or his and Cordy's quipping. It can be quite funny at times.

Thanks for this BuffBot22 - it means a lot coming for someone that isn't necessarily a fan but can still see that the character does have some really good strong qualities :D

Top Bottom