• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Go Fish, Inca Mummy Girl, or Reptile Boy. Which one would you keep?

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
That what I thought . They did that just so they have a reason for Cordelia to date him .
Could have come up with so many different ways .

Mr Trick

Scooby
That what I thought . They did that just so they have a reason for Cordelia to date him .
Could have come up with so many different ways .

Not really, it was just a nice piece of comedy. Think Cordy truly liked Xander regardless of his looks.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I know that tosser blew it!;) As much as I love Willow, Xander dropped the ball big time with Cordyo_O Then again he did redeem himself at the Prom. Just a shame we never saw them meet up again post-S3.
True he did blow it . And while he did redeem himself it was almost like he wanted to end it on a good note.

Would have loved to see them meet up later but it never happened .

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Don't worry in my Cordy fanfic they will meet up again!

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
I choose reptile boy, I love that episode, Buffy & Giles conversation about responsability, Bangel, Xander, Cordelia and I absolutely love Buffy (who drink alcohol for the first time) in that episode, I love that it turned out to be the other guy that invited Buffy to the party to be the leader of the bad guys.

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
Inca Mummy Girl because I like the relation between Ampata's sacrifice & Buffy's sacrifice as the slayer. They both wanted to be a normal girl but didn't have a choice. I think the episode has some really funny moments also, especially with Cordy's disappointment with her foreign exchange student LOL

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I'd keep Inca Mummy Girl. I actually really enjoy that one, possibly because it introduces Oz but it just has a really nice energy to it. I also love the scenes at the Bronze: Four Star Mary's songs really enhance everything.

I think the biggest problem with Go Fish is its placement in the season. Apart from Angelus being the one that tries to bite Gage and tastes the fish blood (which any random vamp could have done), this could have been put much earlier in the season, before Angel turned. Overall it isn't terrible but the awful behaviour of the swim team is just frustrating. Love some good practical effects though, so Gage's skin shedding is awesome.

I would definitely ditch Reptile Boy. It was the first episode of the show that I didn't enjoy so it sticks in my mind as one of my least favourites as a result. The plot is pretty boring whilst Xander's treatment by the fraternity is both unfunny and kind of insulting to his character.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
I love them all, but of all of them the one I like the most is of course Reptile Boy.
I mean come on, getting kidnapped and almost sacrificed to a reptile monster while at a Frat Party? Sign me up! (Wait, actually don't... all the tea in my system would probably poison him)

Btvs fan

Scooby
I'd keep Reptile Boy it's the strongest of the 3.
Yeah Oz shows up in Inca but you dont notice anything if you leave it out and start with Halloween.

AshSlays
AshSlays
Yeah, I accidentally skipped Inca Mummy Girl and was fine... went back and watched it, but still.

kalike123

Townie
Every bad Buffy has some redeeming quality, but of those three Inca Mummy Girl is the best. I don't even think it belongs with those other two.

One of these things is not like the other...

vampmogs

Potential
I actually like all 3 of these episodes LOL

To be honest, with the possible exception of "Go Fish", I really struggle to understand why they're so maligned by fandom. They all have some really great things about them and I don't mind that they're MotW episodes. However, if I had to choose, it'd have to be "Inca Mummy Girl."

There's some great stuff here. For one thing, Ampata is probably the most interesting MotW we've had thus far and dare I say it, probably one of the most interesting MotW's we'll ever get. Off the top of my head, the only other creatures that I think standout more than her are obvious choices like The Gentlemen and Sweet or Kralik who is very memorable and creepy, but Ampata is the most complex of them all. She's the only MotW I can think of that is genuinely sympathetic and who is harming people not necessarily because she's evil but as a matter of self-preservation. She ultimately chose herself over Xander but I do think she sincerely cared about him. I also found the parallels between Ampata/Buffy really interesting and I thought the actual mummy design itself was pretty frightening (those gaping eye sockets... eek!).

Besides Ampata, there were a lot of other great things about the episode as well. As with a lot of the earlier MotW episodes the interaction between the characters is really great. I loved this exchange between Buffy and Willow - "So I can continue waiting around for Xander to like every other girl before he notices me. Or I can get on with my life" "Good for you" "Well, I haven't decided yet" *g* - and Cordy and Sven had some wonderful moments - "Punchy, fruity drinky? Is Cordelia even from this country?" I thought Buffy's pain at Ampata assimilating into Sunnydale life so easily was also intriguing. Furthermore, I enjoyed that in this episode the writers cut straight to the chase and drop all pretence that the characters should be 'surprised' that the mummy may have killed Rodney and instead assume, this being Sunnydale an' all, that they should investigate immediately. I thought that was great! And of course, this is the episode that first introduces us to Oz and teases Willow/Oz which is a favourite of mine. This episode is also notable in the fact that it introduces us to Devon and Dingoes Ate My Baby for the first time, that it's the first appearance of Jonathan, and the first episode to feature Giles' car.

I did used to find this episode quite visually ugly. I'm not sure if it was just a case with the DVD's but my version used to have this fairly ugly yellow-ish over the entire episode which I found off-putting. However, now that I have the HD version the episode looks great (it's a shame they forget to add the mummified effect when Ampata's arm changes at The Bronze, though) so I've really grown to appreciate it. Also, I have this really weird specific nostalgia attached to this episode as I'll always remember that when it first aired in Australia that it was the last episode to air for a couple of weeks so me and my sister watched our tape recording of this episode on loop for, literally, weeks. I knew every line off by heart by the end of those two weeks so this episode always holds a special place in my heart. "Buffy" was such a huge part of my childhood and I have a lot of really special memories of it, especially Season 1 & 2.

As for the other episodes, I think "Reptile Boy" contains some really funny scenes. The Buffy/Cordy scenes are comedy gold ("Why do they always park so damn close!") and Willow screaming at Angel and Giles was a highlight. I also am one of those few fans who actually thought the demon snake design in this episode was really good? I've never understood why it's criticised so much? The practical effects and demon make-up are, much, much better than the CGI snake we get in "Band Candy", for instance. I also enjoyed the scenes at the party and Buffy beating the sh*t out of Tom and the other fraternity guys. I think most people have negative impressions of this episode due to the really hammy and OTT Bangel scene in the graveyard ("When you kiss me I want to die") but it's chock-full of some really lovely character moments. The opening teaser of Buffy/Willow/Xander watching a Bollywood Musical is also a particular fave of mine. And as for "Go Fish", whilst it's my least favourite of the 3, and it's really poorly placed in Season 2, it also contains some really underrated moments. The Xander speedo scene is a real highlight and I love Buffy's sarcastic exchange with Cordelia - "I'm dating a swimmer from the Sunnydale High swim team!" "You can die happy!" - which never fails to make me laugh, I thought the swim team monster makeup was actually really well done, I'll always enjoy Buffy slamming Cam's face into the steering wheel, and I think the episode is an interesting commentary on how society privileges certain people unfairly. I've also always loved Buffy's 'Hero Moment' when she saves Gage from Angelus. When she pulls the wooden clip out of her hair and shakes her head she does indeed look really, really beautiful.

I personally prefer all 3 of these episodes to some truly dull episodes like "Gone" or "Him." I do understand people disliking "Go Fish" as the overall plot is really bad and it's placement in Season 2 really is very poor (it breaks up "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "Becoming") but "Reptile Boy" and especially "Inca Mummy Girl" aren't that bad at all.

ashleigh

Scooby
Black Thorn
Inca Mummy Girl is actually one of my favourite Buffy episodes. Mostly because of Rodney growling at people lol. But really, I think I like this episode because it gives a lot to think about. It explores the fact that not everything is good or bad. Ampata may have been the monster of the week, but I've never really seen her as monster. She just wanted to try to be normal and enjoy life. Of course taking the lives of innocent people in order to survive is wrong, but I don't see Ampata as inherently evil. She just wasn't selfless. Most people in this world aren't. Perhaps it could have been a better episode if that was explored more, actually showing some remorse for her actions. Although perhaps she had none. Perhaps she thought she was entitled after her previous sacrifice. Either way, her circumstances (forced upon her by others) turned her into a 'monster'. I just feel that this episode gives so much more to think about than most fillers, and that's why I enjoy it so much

I don't mind Go Fish, but Reptile Boy can definitely go. They're just complete filler with no depth to them. I don't hate them, but I wouldn't miss either of them.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
As much as I feel sorry for Ampata, she consumes people to stay alive just like Jasmine but without any of the benefits Jasmine offered (but none of the mind control either). A nice story but not that special other than showing Xander in a good light (which is not that common in the early season). Of the three episodes, it is the most likeable but not the most memorable or the one that stands out the most.

Reptile boy is another monster of the week that really isn't all that great and is the weakest of the three.

Go Fish is a story that stands out for its difference from other monsters. Buffy doesn't kill them, they end up going out to sea. The story is so different from the others that it is easily memorable, especially the emergence of the monsters and Buffy slamming Cam's face into the steering wheel as we get introduced to the world of jock privilege. It is the most memorable of the three episodes and the one I would save if two of them had to go.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
I'd keep them. They are bad episodes side by side with all of the others but they serve a purpose in continuing the various relationships and character development. If I had to choose between keeping everything about S2 as is, or redoing everything I would keep the season the way it is. Using this type of logic, I feel compelled to keep these 3 specific episodes as well. People above did a good job of discussing how each of these episodes have their redeeming elements, and it is these elements that make them better with re-watches as opposed to worse. I feel the same way about other episodes, such as Bad Eggs. The characters and relationships grow too much in little scenes here and there to consider them drop-able. Relatively speaking.

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
That is why I love Btvs: it's perfect in its imperfections
Top Bottom