• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Go Fish, Inca Mummy Girl, or Reptile Boy. Which one would you keep?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
What makes you think blue collar alcoholics aren't normal anymore? :confused: (And conversely, why other types of normal also didn't exist in the 1970s, just as many types of normal exist in the 1990s and today.)
Both the number of workers in manufacturing and alcohol consumption has declined since the 70s, and being an abusive sot is not quite as socially acceptable as it once was. Granted, alcohol consumption has gone up in recent years, but it hit a decline in the 1990s. Regarding normality, it was once unexceptional for a woman to seat an infant on her lap in the front passenger seat while driving. Today, such an action would be exceptional.

Evil Seal

The Blake Bortles of whatever's going on right now
I think the only episode that really makes me cringe in BtVS is Inca Mummy Girl. Xander is just insufferable in that episode and the parallel between Empada and Buffy is not well exploited imo.
Ted's message is great, Go Fish has that sexual assault scene and the star status that athletes get, Reptile Boy explores roofies and rape in frat houses, and Bad Eggs is funny. I love all of them.

fauxindigo

Scooby
I'm rewatching Inca Mummy Girl and it's better than I remembered.

Ampata is actually a very good monster of the week /villain-mostly because she's only "evil" by circumstance; she was innocently sacrificed and now all she wants to do is live. It's impossible for her to live though without killing which is tragic. You can tell she really feels for Xander. I kind of like how fast Ampata falls into the Scoobies as a foreign exchange student. And I love that it's a classic, monster of the week. We have Witches Witch, Dracula Buffy vs. Dracula, Dr.Jekyll Mr.Hyde Beauty & the Beasts, Frankenstein Some Assembly Required, Creatures from the Black Lagoon Go Fish, Invisible Woman Out of Sight, Out of Mind... you gotta have the mummy too! So I like what it adds to the mythology/canon of the show.
I like that it also adds to the list of Xander's "demon dates" (Teachers Pet, The Prom & First Date)
There's good acting by Alyson Hannigan when Willow is clearly hurt that Xander so quickly falls for Ampata.
There's first sight of Oz and lots of Devon goodness- well there was never enough Devon goodness but he is so hot! And love his singing at the Bronze. Also, Oz first seeing Willow in her eskimo costume is so good!!!
Also, is this the first episode with Jonathan too?

I don't like how fast Buffy tries to kill Ampata. They are the Scooby Gang! They could've tried a spell to make it so Ampata could live in her body and not have to kill anyone to survive!

The ending is nice though with the callback to Prophecy Girl when Xander brought Buffy back to life. (for the first time!)

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Jonathan appears way before that. I think he appears in s01e01 but I'm positive he's at least in I Robot, You Jane

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The story that really stands out is "Go Fish". Reptile Boy is a fairly standard human sacrifice story and I am about a three-hour drive from where human sacrifices have taken place in our province. There are not that many surprises here. "Inca Mummy Girl" is a better story where there is more human contact and mutual engagement between Ampata and Xander and we do not see how he will escape. "Go Fish" is completely different - this is a story about people, both participants and non-participants, being sacrificed in the name of athletic glory. We get to see Xander's physique and if I was not a straight male, this may have made all the difference to me. But the story itself revolves around the privilege given to star athletes with support for anything they do whether moral or immoral and the cost to themselves in the battle for supremacy. The entire story is disturbing in a way that the other two stories are not and this, with its abuse of Buffy by the athlete then by Snyder, the abuse of athletes who turn into monsters who head out to see with things unresolved.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I kinda liked Go Fish because of its portrayal of jock privilege. The real life school I went to was even worse in that regards (and if they managed to get a batch of genetic material to make stronger, faster jocks then it would not surprise me if it was used, possibly with even community support as it was so ridiculous).

To me it was clear that the show was not promoting that behavior. If it had been a PSA or After School Special then I might've found it annoying. I generally don't like preaching by the writers, even when I'm in the choir.

slayer730

Potential
I think you could get rid of them all and not miss much.

They all kind of feel like they're operating in Season 1 mode. Go Fish probably hurts the most though because of its awkward placement between two strong episodes, but it's probably my favorite concept wise and would probably fare better placed in the earlier part of season 2.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I can finally choose Go Fish. While it has many flaws to me, and the others have things that I like, I believe my favorite scene of all of them is Willow interrogating Jonathan.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Not that I want to torture anyone but it might be quite cool to have a re-watch of these episodes one day as a board and see which one we think is the worst?:p

Evil Seal
Evil Seal
Seconded

thrasherpix

Scooby
I just watched Go Fish (because a friend did who wanted to talk about it) and gotta say I really like this one. Overall it's not one of the better eps, and yet I still find it enjoyable. (ETA: upon reflection, I think I liked it today because I saw it as a stand alone ep. It's amusing, though season oneish. But it's a bit jarring when seen with the rest of the season. I still liked the scene with Angelus in it.)

I'll try to watch the other two when I think I have an hour to spare (may be late at night) for one.
Post automatically merged:

Inca Mummy Girl has a sad, tragic feel to it, but it connects better to the series than Go Fish. I'm still inclined to favor Go Fish as I just enjoyed it more, but I think this one is more relevant to the series as a whole while Go Fish could've been skipped and not missed. (Though on Go Fish, I think that if it was early in the season at the same slot as IMG, just replacing Angelus with Spike and otherwise leaving it the same, then it wouldn't even be on this list for one of the worst.)

I liked the comparisons of the Incan Princess to Buffy, and how Buffy can't help but feel sympathetic given her own experiences as the Chosen One who must die. What I really liked is that for once Buffy showed some appreciation for Xander, for which Xander tells Buffy she did the right thing, she went to die to save the world, Buffy says, "I had you to bring me back." :)

And it's sad to see Willow feel the pain of being friend zoned (just as Xander does much of the early seasons), but at the end he shows he still loves her, and though he doesn't think of Willow in a romantic way, he still put her over Ampata, or even his own life. :)

Really, post merged the following day? Another thing I don't like about this is that it doesn't show up as a new message, so I'll just have to hope it works to draw attention by doing this: @Mr Trick

I also can't edit

I forgot to mention that series-wise, School Hard was a tough act to follow which surely contributes to why it makes the list of possible worst episode this season.

Anyway, I'm about to watch Reptile Boy.

Reptile Boy seems to continue Inca Mummy Girl in exploring Buffy's obligations and special (dark) destiny. It's best in that it moves the characters forward (and I like the beginning of Buffy, Will, Xander watching TV). It's okay, though of course one has to make allowances for things to move that fast ("on the tenth day of the tenth month" gives little more than 20 days before the next episode, and I'm sure Angel would accept coffee before then so I'm not going to assume it happens "in a future episode shown in this episode for closure").

Funny how Cordy mocks Xander's prospects while believing her own future bright (even if she has to seduce rich guys). Cordy is the one with the dark future, while Xander actually gets it together, financially speaking. He's not wealthy, of course, but doing better than Cordelia. But that's just a minor point, and I didn't know that the first time I watched it.

I bet people were still wondering where Spike was, and glad that he shows up in the next episode!

So to sum up...Inca Mummy Girl explores the theme of what it means to be the Chosen One (and Xander gets some rare props), Reptile Boy serves to underscore it and provide character development, and both were between School Hard and Halloween which outshone these 2 eps and why I think they're on this list of 3 in this thread. Go Fish was also a bit jarring where it was at, but I think as a stand alone it's pretty good in the amusing sense if a bit season oneish, and would've been better early on (replacing Angelus with Spike). I suppose from a series angle that IMG is bet, from this season's angle RB is best, but I'd keep Go Fish as it was the most fun.

Last edited:

deathlysmirk

"Am I the Good Slayer now?"
I liked all three tbqh. They were more of a intro of diversity of monsters in the Buffyverse. That's what made them so memorable. The stories were all relatable because it was a specific part of an era in Buffy's life. No way, would have the episodes been as a relevant if they weren't in highschool.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
You have to keep them in my eyes since they were different monsters showing that it not only vampires out there you need to watch out for .

Mr Trick

Scooby
I understand that the episodes might have important themes, I just don't think their very good episodes;) Go Fish out of the three is the one which least works from that point of view IMO. The bullying theme had already been well covered previously on the show. Even the Jock/MOTW had already been done.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
I'd keep Reptile Boy because of the severe creepiness of the frat boys. That was pretty blood chilling.

Didn't like Inca Mummy Girl. Empanada. Yep, that's what I call her.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I understand that the episodes might have important themes, I just don't think their very good episodes;) Go Fish out of the three is the one which least works from that point of view IMO. The bullying theme had already been well covered previously on the show. Even the Jock/MOTW had already been done.
What I think weird is the fact that they had Xander in swim trunks just to show him off & then never again .

Top Bottom