• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is this anyone else's favorite season?

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
If it ended at 5 you would have never gotten to see Spike being the lead and the focus of the show and his path to redemption. Even in 5 he seemed largely comic relief, it was nice to see him grow beyond that as a character.
Spike being the lead of the show? Above Buffy?
Interesting comment but one I totally disagree with.
And it goes to not only what happened with BTVS itself but also a similar situation on ATS.

Cordelia was the second main character or in some eyes co-lead of ATS for her entity on the show however with her exit the show still continued on.

Now I'm not for one moment not going to say that Spike's story ended up taking precedence over the scoobies and the Buffy's in series six and seven (to the cost of the show IMO) BUT if JM had decided that series 7 was going to be his last and not SMG, does anyone really think that would have still been the end of the show? From my perspective I think JW would have continue to do the show without Spike because Buffy is/was the lead of the show and her mot being there effectively ends the show which happen.

As for this series five. Love it for the emotions of the story with the arrival of Dawn who I never had any major issues with. It's my 3rd or 4th favourite depending on my mood and certainly my 2nd or 3rd series/season finale. And IMO it connects so well with the series/season two finale.

Priceless
Priceless
Agreed, the show would have continued without JM.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Spike being the lead of the show? Above Buffy?
Interesting comment but one I totally disagree with.
And it goes to not only what happened with BTVS itself but also a similar situation on ATS.

Cordelia was the second main character or in some eyes co-lead of ATS for her entity on the show however with her exit the show still continued on.

Now I'm not for one moment not going to say that Spike's story ended up taking precedence over the scoobies and the Buffy's in series six and seven (to the cost of the show IMO) BUT if JM had decided that series 7 was going to be his last and not SMG, does anyone really think that would have still been the end of the show? From my perspective I think JW would have continue to do the show without Spike because Buffy is/was the lead of the show and her mot being there effectively ends the show which happen.

As for this series five. Love it for the emotions of the story with the arrival of Dawn who I never had any major issues with. It's my 3rd or 4th favourite depending on my mood and certainly my 2nd or 3rd series/season finale. And IMO it connects so well with the series/season two finale.
You wouldn't have got an Angel Season 5 without Spike. That was the deal breaker for the Network. A soft reboot with a lighter tone (hence the sunlight tinted windows) and Spike on it. Apparently JW initially tried to get JM as just reoccurring but JM said no Its a regular or nothing. Which is fair enough, suddenly going from full time hours to part time with the same company is a no no for any person in work.

An irony is that JM when over on Ats fell out big time with Producer Kelly Manners and was even going to hand his notice but then the Cancellation happened so it didn't matter.
He was also upset what Joss Whedon called him Angels great engenue. JM said that's acting speak for being a pretty boy.

Robinette

Townie
Sineya
Yes absolutely S5 is my favourite season. It's the best for many reasons already stated. I liked Buffy vs Dracula the best and the rest of the season is one long arc but there is still a lot of variety in it. The Gift is amazingly strong episode and it ties many things that had been building a while. I appreciate what was said earlier about the Hope which is similar to S2 finale.

By a long way I would put S5 on top, but after that the majority of seasons are good in different ways. I love the parsimony and simplicity of S1, and S2 has the greatest plot (it continues the premise and develops it very far) and S3 has the best balance bringing broader cast. S4 had some excellent bits but kind of all over the place. I was less keen on the final 2 seasons, S6 was aggravating/entertaining whereas S7 was tiring.

An important point mentioned is that Buffy's love for Dawn isn't the action of the spell, the spell makes the memories - and the love develops because of those shared memories. Through the season Buffy discovers what kind of love she has, and this is what compels her to make the sacrifice, the love she feels happens because of the person she is, it's not so much the Affection or Appreciation she has for her sister, it is emphatically self-sacrificing. She chooses it in as much as she chooses who she is and how she loves. But Buffy is also Chosen, and the monks chose Buffy for this role because she's already the Chosen.

Top Bottom