• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Michael B. Jordan As Superman?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
For sure, the "Justice League" casting was really good.

I really don't give a crap if they make Superman Black (though creatively it sort of feels unnecessary), but don't expect it to go over well when you've chosen someone who was bad in two other superhero film roles. If they cast Idris Elba I'd shout it from the rooftops.

Spanky
Spanky
You're welcome for that idea.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
@Buffy Summers,
these rooftops that you'd shout it from, are they house rooftops or skyscraper rooftops or a supermarket rooftop at a mall? Just trying to imagine how many people are going to hear you.

white avenger

white avenger
Making Superman black after being white for over 80 years of uninterrupted publication, at least 3 TV series, not counting various Saturday morning animated series, and lord only knows how many movies, both live action and animated, just seems like a total exercise in a waste of both time and money. If the studio were determined to introduce a black Superman-like character, I think that Captain Marvel (the real one, not the MCU version) would have been a much better choice. The character is almost as old as Superman, with his comics starting only a few years after the publication of Superman, but the character has been relatively unknown for several decades, so the public would be more apt to accept the change, the same way that they accepted a black Martian Manhunter in both "Smallville" and "Supergirl."

Of course, now, with the new "Shazam" movie premiering in a couple of months, that is an opportunity lost.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Making Superman black after being white for over 80 years of uninterrupted publication
But that is incorrect. As I said in the previous thread and in this one, Superman has been black before. It's nothing new.

Angel6
Angel6
Clark Kent has never been black actually. There are different versions of Superman (such as Val-Zod from Earth 2) from parallel universes that have been black, but almost always they are replacements when the original Clark Kent Superman has died.

white avenger

white avenger
But that is incorrect. As I said in the previous thread and in this one, Superman has been black before. It's nothing new.
I was referring to the primary character of Superman, not alternate dimensions, fantasy versions, or other temporary changes. Red Kryptonite exposure once turned him into a woman, but that doesn't mean that the role should be filled by a woman in a new movie.

Besides, we have Supergirl for that.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
@Angel6 No one was talking about Clark Kent though.
@white avenger So if they want to tell a story about one of these alternate Superman they shouldn't do so? They have two different Joker movies coming out featuring two different incarnations of Joker. I don't see why having another Superman would be an issue. If they have a good story to tell, tell it.

Angel6
Angel6
Completely agree with you, but I think that people in this conversation actually do mean the classic Clark Kent Superman. That’s what everyone means by Superman unless otherwise specified.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
@Angel6 So then people just assumed when they were talking about a black Superman it was a black Clark Kent. Getting all worked up without knowing the details. Hell, in the current version of the DC movie universe Clark Kent is dead, so... unless they reboot the whole thing (again) I don't see how it could be Clark Kent.

white avenger

white avenger
So if they want to tell a story about one of these alternate Superman they shouldn't do so?
Marvel just did something similar with "Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse," but they made it clear that there were multiple incarnations of Spiderman in many different realities. If they did that with Superman, there probably wouldn't be a problem. Presenting a black Superman as the one and only "last son of Krypton" is a totally different matter, and one that I still contend that the majority of fans wouldn't accept.

Angel6

Potential
@Angel6 So then people just assumed when they were talking about a black Superman it was a black Clark Kent. Getting all worked up without knowing the details. Hell, in the current version of the DC movie universe Clark Kent is dead, so... unless they reboot the whole thing (again) I don't see how it could be Clark Kent.
He came back from the dead in Justice League actually. But I agree that an else worlds style movie would be cool.

Spanky
Spanky
Superman did. I don't think Clark Kent did, did he?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Marvel just did something similar with "Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse,"
Which was based on the comics. Just as a black Superman would be.

Presenting a black Superman as the one and only "last son of Krypton"
But you don't know that is what they are even considering. As the article said, it will be several years before there is another Superman movie; it's just speculation that it will feature the Superman you are familiar with. DC has its own multi-verse it can play with.

Bluebird
Bluebird
Tbh it would be quite garish, and clash with the reds and blues. I just don't get why this is 'a big deal' cos he's black. Just smells like casual racism to me.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
What does it matter is he's black or white or purple? He's a fricking alien.

Spanky
Spanky
I'd have a serious issue with him being purple.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
It doesn’t matter, as long as the writing & casting is good. It’s like with the female Doctor Who: if they’re just virtue signaling then don’t bother.

Spanky
Spanky
They should beg Zack Snyder to come back and do the casting. Everyone poo-pooed at his choices of Gadot and Momoa and he hit it out of the park with that.
Bluebird
Bluebird
Good chance it is virtue signalling, it is Hollywood after all. Wish folk would see it's just marketing and not get upset over casting blacks. It's disturbing.

Bluebird

Black Thorn
It doesn’t matter, as long as the writing & casting is good. It’s like with the female Doctor Who: if they’re just virtue signaling then don’t bother.
Yes! I had major problems with the BBC and their nonsense. I just don't get why a black Superman would be unaccepted. Would he really be rejected by fans for being a black? It's skin! It makes *me* feel like an alien, cos like you say the important part is the actual content, writing, directing, the themes, etc. Not the aesthetics. Some of my favourite films have a mix of races, and also look like garbage on a technical level, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the stories.

Angel6

Potential
@Spanky their the same person. He gets Bruce to buy back Kent farm for his mum, he clearly is Clark Kent. I know what your suggesting is that the world doesn’t know that Clark Kent is alive, but he quite clearly is.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I just don't get why a black Superman would be unaccepted.
I've seen the argument made that race flipping characters like this is lazy and faux diversity, not that black Superman wouldn't be accepted but that it would be better to create genuinely diverse and new characers. Totally get that.

At the same time though, movie makers want to make money and it is far easier to get butts in seats for a well-known character with a familiar name, so this makes sense.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Sadly that is still the thinking. It is starting to comeback and bite them on the ass. They need to wake up!
Bluebird
Bluebird
Oh yeah, totally, it's a business at the end of day, so it's a valid argument I make too. I'm very cynical about the movies. But people are taking offense at his blackness not the faux diversity to make a buck, unfortunately.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Regardless of the race thing, I think Jordan is a good actor and I can see him making a good Superman. Think he could be a fresh take on the character. His villain in Black Panther was fantastic.

Bluebird

Black Thorn
I don't think he's a good actor but I've only seen him in Black Panther. He gets cast cos he has a nice face and is a hot property, as most casting decisions go.

Mr Trick

Scooby
What makes you think that? What roles do you think he was good in that showcased his acting ability?

Was horrible acted. The character was good but some of the lines and the delivery was... not good.
Well we can agree to differ nothing wrong with that:) I liked his performances in both Black Panther and Creed 2 [still not see the first film]. Think he has charisma, but can also do understated.

Top Bottom