• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Michael B. Jordan As Superman?

Taake

Kissing Toast
Staff member
Black Thorn
@Bluebird Oh yeah, totally, it's a business at the end of day, so it's a valid argument I make too. I'm very cynical about the movies. But people are taking offense at his blackness not the faux diversity to make a buck, unfortunately.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like you didn't have a valid argument. I just meant that Youtube videos I've seen about it fans of color have literally been taking offense at the faux diversity more so than the blackness. So offense is to be had all over it seems.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
I liked his performances in both Black Panther and Creed 2 [still not see the first film].
So just those two roles? Haven't seen Chronicle, Fruitvale Station, Fantastic Four or Fahrenheit 451?

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
@Bluebird Oh yeah, totally, it's a business at the end of day, so it's a valid argument I make too. I'm very cynical about the movies. But people are taking offense at his blackness not the faux diversity to make a buck, unfortunately.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like you didn't have a valid argument. I just meant that Youtube videos I've seen about it fans of color have literally been taking offense at the faux diversity more so than the blackness. So offense is to be had all over it seems.

I think common sense should be applied when it comes to movies, as they are products, so yeah everyone will be offended from some angle!

Honestly, this is the only place I've seen it discussed so far, and so to see the reason why it was being discussed was really disheartening to me and it's why I posted. I have no actual views on Superman. He's a dweeb.

Taake
Taake
Agreed

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Yes! I had major problems with the BBC and their nonsense. I just don't get why a black Superman would be unaccepted. Would he really be rejected by fans for being a black?
Personally, I think if it was done right he would be accepted. But people are so used to audience pandering being crap that they assume it will be bad, and I feel like that is where the dislike of the idea comes from. Doesn't help that they've chosen someone who doesn't seem to fit the bill for the character just because he's "hot" right now.

Though, to be fair, people don't like having their favorite characters messed with, so for fans of the character they might just not want the meat of the character to change with his race. Because then you'll have the other side of things, which will say, "We don't want a Black Superman who is just the same old Superman who happens to be Black."

white avenger

white avenger
Just for the record, my objection to a black Superman is based on the fact that I am a traditionalist. I don't like drastic departures from things that I see as having been true form the beginning, or, at least, from when I first noticed them. Some of you might remember that I objected to the change in Superman's traditional uniform, and to his brief affair with Wonder Woman.

I'm just old and set in my ways, so change makes me uncomfortable. Depending on the quality of the production, I would probably watch and enjoy the movie, regardless of the actor's skin color. He would just be Super Man, rather than Superman, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Nix

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I just don’t like Michael B Jordan. He was the worst part of Black Panther for me and I loved that movie. Killmonger is a role that is perfectly set up to be sympathetic and Jordan played him with absolutely no depth. And that’s how he plays all his characters. His default acting is ANGRY. All anger all the time. CGI Josh Brolin managed to emote more and make me care about Thanos motivations than Jordan did. I also don’t think he’s nearly as attractive as people hype him up to be. Not enough to distract from his bad acting anyway.

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
I'd like to see Kevin Hart play Superman!! Now that would be a funny film to watch!

IdiotJed110
IdiotJed110
Sounds like a terrible movie, but I'd probably end up seeing it multiple times

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
“There is a huge upside to it, but being under that microscope, being picked apart and compared to so many different versions of Superman… I would rather do something original. I’ll be Calvin Ellis,” Jordan tells Oprah.”I think the comic book purists can accept that more than me being Clark Kent. That’s a different thing.”

Top Bottom