• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffies : SMG and the ship !

It doesn’t bother me one bit. SMG may play Buffy, but she isn’t the character. Like all of us, she’s entitled to her own thoughts and opinions about Buffy’s love life. That said, I get the impression that she not only loved Bangel, but really dislikes Spuffy because of the way that storyline happened.

Even as a Spuffy fan, I can see how Spike and Buffy’s love story can be quite problematic at times (the attempted rape being the most cited issue). SMG has even stated how she felt like Buffy was less herself in the later seasons, while Joss says that was kind of the point for Buffy to explore a darker side of herself). I think that might be why Spuffy fans are upset, that SMG seems to actively dislike their ship. And unlike Fuffy or Xangel or other hypothetical ships, Spuffy happened on screen...so people want SMG to acknowledge that Spike meant something to Buffy, because although their relationship started off as toxic, Buffy helped Spike change for the better.

debbicles

Music is what makes life amazing
SMG is getting death threats for expressing her preference??? Good grief. How sad.
I'm not really surprised about her views: superb actress as she is, I got the distinct vibe off her that she was uncomfortable with her arc in S6. I can see why she would like her character to stay with her first, overwhelming ❤️. Love. In case the emoticon goes MIA!!!! That's idealistic and for Buffy I think that's perfectly in character.
Also I think she (Buffy) was too shut-down that season, so that it was really difficult to get any clear read about what she felt about lots of things.
Anyway, I can understand SMG's views. Don't agree with 'em, mind!!!! Big smile, here.

zoe

Townie
I respect SMG´s opinion and doesn´t change the reasons why i love Spuffy or the fact that i love who she interpreted Buffy. For me this is not about being Spuffy or Bangel, I mean the other time i was on a Spanish forum and there was a Spuffy fan who received insults from a fan who said something like i hope you get raped, this was just too aggressive, I mean if you don´t like a ship or SMG´s opinion that´s fine, there´s many ways you can express your opinion but there´s no reason to be so disrespectful and act like if you were insane.
So my point is like others have mentioned, the problem is not about being Spuffy or bangel, is about people who is intolerant and have serious mental issues.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
anyone who feels they have to fight with people over ship preferences clearly has mental health issues! Live and let live

nmcil12

Potential
She isn't Switzerland. She is not obliged to be neutral.
This has to be the BEST comment ever on SMG and her Team Angel big preference - I've not visited the forums in a very long time but you made my night - my neck hurts from having to work long hours today and tonight but your neutrality line brought a smile immediately.

Regarding SMG and the whole Team Angel or Team Spike - it's a great pity that even after all these years this question continues to be part of some many interviews - I read only the other day as the Wicked Horror (hope I have the title right) the writer saying that this insistence on which couples is BEST does nothing but diminish the series and the characters and particularly the significance of the grand journey of transformation story that become so vital to Spike and the series. Couple the Spike journey with the development of the Buffy story and, IMO, both became an enormously important development for the series - why Keep going back to Buffy's first love and having this era be the final judgement point for the Buffy character and her love life?

The fundamental element that made the Buffyverse such a great series was how it reflected back in such a realistic way, even with all the supernatural and horror elements. And in real life people don't always have this Great First Love Forever. There of course are many couples who find that their lives are intertwined with a wonderful and deep mature long lasting first love or life time love partner but that is not how most people find love or their life partners - the First Love is more than likely not going to be mature and long last Life Partner relationship and it being so for Buffy the young women who falls in love with super older male is not a likely Great Model for how real life Love Relationship and Life Partnerships work.

As for Spike - his story is So Much More compelling than his love relationship with Drusilla or Buffy - it is the complexity of the character and his powerful life struggle for the Good Man vs the Brutal Beast in Humanity that is the real power of his transformation journey. Does Buffy play a huge part in that story - absolutely but is that romantic love relationship the most important factor that Spike should be recognized for - again, absolutely not. Spike is not the sum of his love relationships - that those relationship are hugely important is true, but he choices could have taken him in completely different paths. It's the choices he made and how he struggles against being controlled only by his vampire/brutal nature that makes all the difference in his life story.

Regarding SMG and her Team Angel - I've always felt that the actress was much more personally invested in the Buffy-Angel story - that she has a fundamental belief in that story as a Great Love Story. What's Not To Love from the perspective of our cultural heritage and the great Romeo and Juliet story. It's friggin easy to fall for the R&J love story, it's stamped of approval certified love where in contrast with Buffy and Spike - it takes a big effort to delve deep into the complexity of that relationship and to get beyond the easier Bad Boyfriend cultural syndrome. Add the damn Attempted Rape and it's a miracle that the Spuffy relationship survived at all.

Again however - all the symbolism and metaphor that Joss Whedon used in the finale is about the great joining of two people and their heroic struggle to bring themselves both out of the black mire that their lives became and ultimately beat back all their darkness and find the inner spiritual and intellectual powers to be the inner heroes.

To ask the nonsensical question about which is the better vampire/man or love relationship is so not the point.

spikenbuffy

Share time, huh? Fine. I'll show you share time
I don't have a problem with it, SMG can love and ship Bangel if she wants, it doesn't stop me to love the dynamics between Spike & Buffy anyway. Bangel is a great ship and couple. But I'm wondering sometimes if she says loudly that she loves Bangel so much because of the unhealthy of Spuffy and the attempt of rape scene which was rough and controversal. She didn't appreciate it. Maybe it's one reason why she says many times that she ships Bangel to people.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I don't have a problem with it, SMG can love and ship Bangel if she wants, it doesn't stop me to love the dynamics between Spike & Buffy anyway. Bangel is a great ship and couple. But I'm wondering sometimes if she says loudly that she loves Bangel so much because of the unhealthy of Spuffy and the attempt of rape scene which was rough and controversal. She didn't appreciate it. Maybe it's one reason why she says many times that she ships Bangel to people.
I think she just actually likes Bangel.

spikenbuffy

Share time, huh? Fine. I'll show you share time
I think she just actually likes Bangel.
Oh yes, I think she does also, I saw some pictures of the actors saying they love Bangel and SMG thinks Angel is her soulmate in the Bangel appreciation ship but even if she would like the Spuffy dynamic maybe she wouldn't want to show some kind of support to Spuffy because of the unhealthy and attempted rape, it was rough.

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
SMG was talking about how much she enjoyed the B/A love story long before any of the s6 stuff took place. She said it during s3, in s4 and 5 during the Riley stuff. Etc. She has just always been partial to the story between those two.

I used to wonder if maybe she just meant she preferred David to James (David seems like a lot of fun) but then one time she specifically tweeted that no she did not mean David and James, she meant Angel and Spike ... so that was that.
She's entitled to her opinion. Of course she's completely wrong and I hate her ...

... not really. I love SMG. She can ship what she likes.
People who post hate to anyone over the internet have very serious problems. And people who post hate to SMG are NOT Buffy fans.

Top Bottom