• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

There should be a law...

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Literally BILLIONS of animals are brutally murdered every year.
Not literally. How can they literally be murdered when literally murder is when one human kills another?

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
So if you had a dog that was alive and your neighbor got mad at you and made it so your dog was dead, what would you call it?

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Um yeah, what @Taake said. I wouldn't even know where to start.

All I was saying was that I don't have strong opinions on how people decide to eat, cos I know what's a touchy subject, but the separation of ourselves as non-animals means we think differently, as a whole, and don't value that we are part of an ecosystem, like every other animal. Maybe if we did we wouldn't have industrial farming.

I'd rather amend your law to be eat what you want but rear and kill it yourself.

Spanky
Spanky
Them cricket bars are good! I still wouldn't want to raise crickets and eat them.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
rear and kill it yourself.
I have no problem with killing it, but rearing it is more problematic. I don't have the room. With your law you would cause high levels of crime as people would be stealing others livestock so that they can eat.

Bluebird
Bluebird
That's when the meat eaters move onto an insect diet
HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
Our rats are low

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
@NeonSlayer If I had a dog that was alive? Well, I wouldn't really keep a dog that was dead. I know some people that have them stuffed and mounted but that just seems odd to me.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
You know what I meant. If your dog died because your neighbor did something to make your dog die. You would call it murder.
Um yeah, what @Taake said. I wouldn't even know where to start.

All I was saying was that I don't have strong opinions on how people decide to eat, cos I know what's a touchy subject, but the separation of ourselves as non-animals means we think differently, as a whole, and don't value that we are part of an ecosystem, like every other animal. Maybe if we did we wouldn't have industrial farming.

I'd rather amend your law to be eat what you want but rear and kill it yourself.
A few weeks ago I saw a really cute picture of a rescue dog. Turned out he was rescued from a couple who raise dogs to eat and occasionally sell the meat. I don't think doing it yourself makes it better in any way besides most people not having the stomach to do it themselves so it'd cut down on animal slaughter since people wouldn't be able to buy it from stores.

I agree that humans need to have more respect for the ecosystem.

Spanky
Spanky
No, I wouldn't call it murder. Because it's not murder. Killing is not murder. Period.

Bluebird

Black Thorn
A few weeks ago I saw a really cute picture of a rescue dog. Turned out he was rescued from a couple who raise dogs to eat and occasionally sell the meat. I don't think doing it yourself makes it better in any way besides most people not having the stomach to do it themselves so it'd cut down on animal slaughter since people wouldn't be able to buy it from stores.

I agree that humans need to have more respect for the ecosystem.
Well yeah, that's my point, if people were faced with the reality of being an animal eating another animal and killing it themselves they'd definitely reconsider eating meat. We live in a bubble outside of our ecosystem and outside of any reality of a food chain.

Spanky
Spanky
I had no problem killing the turkey I had living with me for three weeks. I don't think it would be such an issue. You view them as food and not pets. When you start to view them as pets you're screwed.
NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Yeah but I want ALL cases of humans murdering animals for meat consumption to stop, not just lessened. There are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, who could easily murder animals without caring. I don't want even one animal to face that.
@Spanky If you make someone dead who didn't want to be dead, how is that not murder?

I get how Buffy can kill evil creatures without it being murder. She only does it in self defense or to stop them from hurting innocent people. But if she started killing souled vampires and demons like Clem & Doyle than it'd be murder.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Literally BILLIONS of animals are brutally murdered every year. How is it a moral high horse to take a strong stance against that? It is a serious issue with a lot of suffering & more victims dead in one year than there are humans alive.

I didn't call it a holocaust. I was saying when people truly see humans as animals they treat them like nonhumans. Animals are sent to slaughterhouses and most see it as a regular part of life and get annoyed with those who are outraged by it more than those who are responsible for it.

How am I being hypocritical?
And I don't disagree on the animal parts, however, it is a moral high horse. Were you born a vegan? Have you ever lived your life in a style that is harmful to animals not just in terms of food but just general consumption of clothes, material goods or travel? Have you ever lived alone? I think it is good to take a strong stance against the meat industry, however, shaming other people is self-defeating. When you say something like "you're okay with cannibalism?" people stop listening to whatever comes next and just write you off. Maybe you don't care, but it does mean that the thing you're passionate about gets less legitimate attention from large groups of people, thus, it is not helping the animals much in the long-term.

"I didn't call it a holocaust", nor did I bring that up. But you did use the term neo Nazi, which I repeated.

I was saying when people truly see humans as animals they treat them like nonhumans
Humans treat plenty of people as nonhumans, it's actually a very human thing to do. We have a limited grasp of how many people we can quantify as "human" in the abstract, which is why, e.g. when millions die in war or starvation, it barely registers, while the picture of one dead 3 year old emotionally obliterates people and eats away at their consciousness.

Anyway, let's bring this thread back on topic. This discussion, if you desire @NeonSlayer, can be taken to its own thread. However, if it is, I urge both you and others to be respectful of each others views and to do your best to avoid falling into Godwin's law so quickly.

Spanky
Spanky
"avoid falling into Godwin's law" Heil Tooker
And I don't disagree on the animal parts, however, it is a moral high horse. Were you born a vegan? Have you ever lived your life in a style that is harmful to animals not just in terms of food but just general consumption of clothes, material goods or travel? Have you ever lived alone? I think it is good to take a strong stance against the meat industry, however, shaming other people is self-defeating. When you say something like "you're okay with cannibalism?" people stop listening to whatever comes next and just write you off. Maybe you don't care, but it does mean that the thing you're passionate about gets less legitimate attention from large groups of people, thus, it is not helping the animals much in the long-term.

"I didn't call it a holocaust", nor did I bring that up. But you did use the term neo Nazi, which I repeated.

Humans treat plenty of people as nonhumans, it's actually a very human thing to do. We have a limited grasp of how many people we can quantify as "human" in the abstract, which is why, e.g. when millions die in war or starvation, it barely registers, while the picture of one dead 3 year old emotionally obliterates people and eats away at their consciousness.

Anyway, let's bring this thread back on topic. This discussion, if you desire @NeonSlayer, can be taken to its own thread. However, if it is, I urge both you and others to be respectful of each others views and to do your best to avoid falling into Godwin's law so quickly.
The thread is on what law I would want if I could force it to happen. I objected to someone saying humans are animals since humans treat animals overall much worse than their fellow humans and the humans they do hurt they treat like animals thus it's still animals who have it worse. I wasn't trying to change someone's mind. I was ranting about something that annoyed me.

If it was a thread on Ways To Convince Humans To Go Vegan then I would've perfectly worded everything with statistics & the old "every step no matter how small makes a difference." I haven't eaten meat in 16 years while living in a country that is 95% meat eaters. I know full well you have to treat them like Angel sponsoring Faith in Sanctuary.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
The thread is on what law I would want if I could force it to happen. I objected to someone saying humans are animals since humans treat animals overall much worse than their fellow humans and the humans they do hurt they treat like animals thus it's still animals who have it worse. I wasn't trying to change someone's mind. I was ranting about something that annoyed me.

If it was a thread on Ways To Convince Humans To Go Vegan then I would've perfectly worded everything with statistics & the old "every step no matter how small makes a difference." I haven't eaten meat in 16 years while living in a country that is 95% meat eaters. I know full well you have to treat them like Angel sponsoring Faith in Sanctuary.
Yes, and the ranting turned off topic. You are free to start any thread you want, but I’d recommend less condescension, including in posts like this one.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Tha was the point of comparing it to Angel in Sanctuary. In a thread tailored to getting meat eaters to want to be vegan, I'd be as overtly understanding & patient with them as needed for them not to get turned off of it.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
2.) Mandatory community service for one year at age 18. Could be military, but could also be anything good for the community - working in a soup kitchen, cleaning the ocean. All to be paid, regardless of job, the same amount.
Interestingly, if I was in power, this is the exact law I would remove, though I like the variety of options and being paid. In your world, would people chose their form of service or would they just be assigned somewhere by the powers that be?

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Interestingly, if I was in power, this is the exact law I would remove, though I like the variety of options and being paid. In your world, would people chose their form of service or would they just be assigned somewhere by the powers that be?
No in my world it would definitely be a choice. I envision it as something like a gap year. More like an extension of high school. There would be a bunch of different programs that you can apply for based on your own interests. If someone likes spending time at the beach then they would apply for a job helping clean beaches. Or if they love sport they could work with underprivileged children coaching them.

I spent some time doing volunteer work in Brazil and there were a a lot of different areas that people worked in but the one thing that was constant was the growth of maturity and understanding that hard work can truly help people.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
I guess that's why I'm still so immature :)

Bluebird

Black Thorn
Ugh I would also make marijuana legal, medically, recreationally, whatever. 1. I think people should have freedom of their body, and alcohol is legal so let's get over that hypocrisy. 2. It is heartbreaking to see people suffer from problems that could be allievated with mj but have bought into the propaganda that it's evil cos the government told them. All the while half their family is dead from alcohol. True story.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Stop it, evil hand! Stop it!
Black Thorn
Ugh I would also make marijuana legal, medically, recreationally, whatever. 1. I think people should have freedom of their body, and alcohol is legal so let's get over that hypocrisy. 2. It is heartbreaking to see people suffer from problems that could be allievated with mj but have bought into the propaganda that it's evil cos the government told them. All the while half their family is dead from alcohol. True story.
Marijuana is legal here in California. 🙌C'mon over!!!! You both can stay with me, enveloped in clouds of cannabis. It'll be FUN! 😃

Bluebird
Bluebird
Woohoo! No edibles though, that stuff is crazy !
Sineya
Marijuana is not really legal in California. The states of CA ands CO have decided to not help federal authorities in prosecuting any marijuana possession arrests. The feds still prosecute wherever they find it. Come to Canada, which is sort of America with the mistakes taken out.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
Seems so lol
Top Bottom