• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

20th Anniversary of Angel: 31 Days of Angel

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Day 12: Favorite relationship on the show?

spikenbuffy

"Buffy's like nobody else in the world"
Day 12 : Favorite relationship on the show ?

Angel & Fred

Honorable mention : Angel & Spike or Fred & Wesley

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
Day 12: Favorite relationship on the show?

There are many relationships I love: Faith and Angel are the ultimate BrOTP, Wesley and Angel have one of the most compelling and interesting friendships of any show I've seen, Wesley and Lilah have an intense, addictive relationship, which is also one of the best I've seen, Lilah and Angel are awesome frenemies, Wesley and Cordelia had an amazing friendship during the first two seasons, etc. etc. But my favorite relationship is of the familial kind: Connor and Angel.

have a very complicated relationship with my parents, and with my mom in particular, so fictional parent/child relationships are often not my thing. I'm too defensive of the children and too critical of the parents: this is the case with Angel and Connor too. However, because I love Angel, I'm able to forgive him for his mistakes. And Angel made a lot of mistakes with Connor.

Angel and Connor's relationship is very messy and real. Angel put all his hopes of living a human life, without actually being human, into Connor and being with Cordelia, and his disappointment brings out a nasty side of him. Parents aren't perfect and a common mistake they make is expecting too much of their children and lashing out when their children don't "deliver". Connor just wanted to be unconditionally loved without fear. He wanted to be able to trust someone. He needed a father he could trust and look up to, someone who could guide him and help him overcome his traumatic upbringing. It wasn't Angel's fault that Holtz's treachery made it hard for any of that to happen, but Angel is guilty of being a neglectful parent during the Cordelia/Connor debacle. He let his jealousy, anger and disillusion get the best of him and Connor paid the price. One of the most powerful scenes ever is Angel and Connor's heart to heart in Home.

Having said that, I think Angel went from having a baby to having a teenage son and had no time to navigate the tricky waters of parenting. Add the world almost ending to that, and spending a summer underwater, and you get an emotionally unstable parent with no time to process his feelings. I'm hard on parents because I think this society often forgets that children deserve to be respected, accepted and treated as human beings, and not as their parents "property". But parents are just people too. And Angel tries hard to fix things with Connor. He gives him a new life, and even when Connor regains his memories, he is able to deal because of what Angel did. Connor turns out great, because he was always great, and because Angel used unconventional methods to ensure Connor's well-being. I love the final stage of Angel and Connor's relationship. At the end of the day, the bond between parent and child is one of the most powerful and important ones, and it's beautiful when that bond is healthy and strong, like Connor and Angel's turns out to be....

BattleofDuty

Townie
Day 11: Favourite Outfit?

1547332270700.png

Day 12: Favorite relationship?
Angel/Cordy, Jasmine/Connor and Angel/Spike.

I hope no-one tries to stake me after saying the middle one.

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
I have to admit, I cringe so hard when I saw the middle one lol
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
I cringed at the first two relationships because of how wrong it is.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.

Like @Carrie Hopewell, my favourite relationship on AtS (really my favourite Buffyverse relationship overall) is Connor/Angel. I love the complexity and depth to the relationship, how Angel loves his son but doesn't know how to connect with him, the anguish and complicated emotions Connor has about his childhood (really his entire existence) and how he loves his father but doesn't know how to express it. It's just such an amazing relationship and I wish they'd been more exploration of it.

Runner-up is the complex and dynamic relationship between Angel and Darla.

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
My favourite romantic relationship on Angel: Defenitely, 100%, Fred & Wesley I looooooooooooooove them so much! My favourite couple EVER from EVERYTHING after Willow and Tara. ❤😍💕

For other relationships (I'll leave out any other romantic, otherwise it would be waaaaay too long)... Toooooo many that I love... So I'll just go with the first three that pop in my mind:
Cordy/Dennis
tumblr_mxpyj49wW51qzw0zeo3_250.gif
tumblr_mzz1vnYfF41qzw0zeo6_250.gif
My favourite scene with them was when Cordy was pregnant and Dennis was so sweet and tried to comgorther and take care of her.
tumblr_mzz1vnYfF41qzw0zeo3_250.gif
Angel/Connor others explained that before, way better than I could eber do. So read posts above for that.
Wesley/Illyria First I was just so sad that Fred was dead and I was only happy that Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof still had interactions on the show afzer Freds death. And I first loved it just because of this. Now I still love this, but also because their scenes are just great! When Illyria asks "Is there anything in this life but grief" ir when they are on the roof and talk about people in houses (boxes). And Oh my god Wesleys death scene!!!!!! I cry because of sooo many reasons, one if them is that Wes' death kinda woke human feelings in Illyria (hope you can say that in english). I mean yeah she cried as Fred. But she still for a time had Freds form and cried after Wes was already dead. And even if you don't count that, still alone the fact that she took Freds form to comfort him. I just looove their relationship! But nothing is ever going to be above Fresley for me (except Tillow) ❤❤❤❤❤
Many more romantic and non romantic relationships I love and I could go on for hours talking about Fred/Wesley, but I won't it's just too long then.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Day 13: What was the most heartbreaking scene on Angel?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
For me it was when Lorne didn't die when his head got cut off. I was gutted when I realized he would still be alive.

Taake
Taake
So heartless. Poor Lorneytoons
K
katmobile
There's always one isn't there?

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Wesleys death
and really really close after that would be Freds death for me.
Soooooooooooo heartbreaking. Both of them. I cry like a baby everytime I watch those scenes:(😢😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
But there were many other scenes on Angel (not to mention countless on Buffy) that I cried/cry. Actually there just a lot of sad scnes on Angel... And Joss shows in general. Not only death scenes (which he us really good at making REALLY heartbreaking) 😭😭😭 Why does he do that to us?!?

Spanky
Spanky
You might be scared too. They are more 'scary' scenes than ever in the show.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya

Connor in Home is so heartbreaking, but Wesley's death makes me sob every time.

Wesley's death is heartbreaking but not because he dies. I kind of wanted him to die; it felt like a fitting ending to the character. What's sad is how he dies: without achieving his goal to kill Vail, and whilst giving in to an illusion. He tells Illyria that he refuses to live a lie, but he dies believing in one. Unlike Gunn, who "dies" 100% true to himself, Wesley is the one character (although Lorne fits the profile too) who actually "fades away". Wesley's identity is partly erased in the act of pretending that Illyria is Fred. I'm reminded of Connor's words in Home: "You can't be saved by a lie, you can't be saved at all.", and how true they are. Connor is saved by a lie, but he's only truly "saved" when he remembers what Angel made him forget. Wesley dies believing a lie. There's no happily ever after of any kind for him. There's no peace in knowing he did his part to fight Wolfram&Hart, and there's no actual peace in looking into Illyria's eyes and seeing Fred. Illyria tells him she loves him and that they'll be together soon. But Fred never told Wesley she loved him (we don't know if she did), and Fred's soul was obliterated by Illryia so she doesn't exist at all anymore (ignoring the comics). So Wesley just dies, feeling bittersweet happiness and a lot of pain, without fixing past wrongs or finding his way back to sanity. It's really sad.

Mylie

Scooby
Day 12 : Favorite relationship?

I feel like this is cheating but oh well... Buffy/Angel? I think that even though she only appeared in 2 episodes, I still felt her presence in Angel's life. Angel/Faith would be my 2nd favorite. I adore their friendship and it represents pretty much everything I love about the show.

Day 13 : What was the most heartbreaking scene on Angel?

Darla staking herself for Connor. It was a beautiful but heartbreaking moment.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Day 13 : What was the most heartbreaking scene on Angel?

Anything Connor-related breaks my heart, Home in particular is gut-wrenching, but I have to give this moment to Holtz jumping through the portal with Baby Connor and Angel's utter decimation after it, as he lies in the dirt, unable to comprehend what just happened, the grief and despair on his face as he stares at the spot where his son disappeared, then the heartbreaking broken whisper of "Connor" after the scene has faded to black.

Top Bottom