• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy stunt coordinator and double accused Joss Whedon of being an 'egomaniac' and demanding they break up

Faded90

Potential
Jeff and Sophia have told about 10 different versions of why they left the show over the years

Toss a coin in the air for whether they come across as a couple of narcissists or a couple of lunatics. That story where they call SMG a ‘fake princess’ and Sophia the ‘real princess’ is self involved bollocks

It seems like they were surprised when they found out they were dispensable and really weren’t the main stars of the show

LeeJones41

Potential
Why attempt to make excuses for Whedon's behavior or come to his defense? If he has made some questionable decisions or misbehaved in some way, then perhaps he has. I don't see how any excuses can wipe away his past behavior or actions. But at the same time, these revelations about Whedon cannot wipe away the fact that he is a talented television producer and storyteller. And that he is also a pretty good director. I've heard some horror stories about John Ford, especially from Maureen O'Hara. But that cannot wipe away the fact that he was a talented filmmaker.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Why attempt to make excuses for Whedon's behavior or come to his defense?
I don’t think it is excusing Whedon to point out that Pruitt and Crawford have a shady past when it comes to their own behavior on and after the show. I could guess that this came from them without even reading the article, now I’ve been skeptical of Joss for years, but the source and timing of this is just something that for me makes it hard to take very seriously. It’s like the pot calling the kettle black and expecting us to be upset about it.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Why attempt to make excuses for Whedon's behavior or come to his defense?
For me it's not even about defending him, it's about not being able to stand this kind of "hyena" behavior. I'm tired of seeing anyone getting dog piled in general, especially when it seems disproportionate. JW might be a bit of an ass, who knows, but having all these articles making him seem like some kind of monster just doesn't sit right with me... you'd think if he was this despotic people wouldn't still be remembering him fondly or be willing to work with him again once they're no longer tied to him.
Everyone can be an asshole at times, especially when working under pressure and especially when you have people buttering you up all day, but until someone comes up with some proof that he did something truly horrific, I'll pass.

Antho

Scooby
Also some people just take now their chance to put Joss down. It’s really too easy to profit that someone is in a bad light to get out out of shadows and buried him even deeper.

LeeJones41

Potential
I don’t think it is excusing Whedon to point out that Pruitt and Crawford have a shady past when it comes to their own behavior on and after the show. I could guess that this came from them without even reading the article, now I’ve been skeptical of Joss for years, but the source and timing of this is just something that for me makes it hard to take very seriously. It’s like the pot calling the kettle black and expecting us to be upset about it.

I doubt very much that Whedon's personal reputation is solely depended on those two.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Isn’t it possible that he really is just as jerky as people are saying he is? Now that some time has passed they feel some freedom to say so and don’t fear retribution for their career. You can believe them or not I guess. I don’t know much about these two in particular. I just think the more I hear about Whedon, a lot of stuff starts to add up.

Antho

Scooby
Isn’t it possible that he really is just as jerky as people are saying he is?
Of course it’s possible. No one say that it’s not. Most of people here don’t defend Joss. There is probably some truth in all of that. But how can we judge properly a situation with only one version ? It’s not in my nature to directly condemned people. Joss have his version too and he has the right to speak or not, as he wants. Also we can’t neglect there is obviously some people he has troubles with since years who take advantage of the situation.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Go home and stick your head in the oven, okay?
Let's refrain from this sort of talk on the board, please.

I'm sorry but incitement to suicide just isn't on - seriously just listen to yourself!!
That may be the case, but please in future use the Report Post link instead of calling another member out in the thread.

Once again, I'll say this...awhile back, you made such a big deal about putting me on ignore. So, what happened to that?
Please keep your personal arguments off the board, thanks.

Telling the stunt coordinator to break up with the stuntwoman is not something I would expect someone to say.
So I confess I didn't read that article, but telling someone they shouldn't date someone who reports to them would be something appropriate. Of course, Joss doing that would be kind of ironic.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Sorry, boss. Won't happen again.

forbuss

Witch
Sineya
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is true.

I sortof don't like Joss Whedon. I think he is brilliant, but he does seem like kind of a jerk. I also think he had a lot of help on Buffy (Noxon, and I would wager his wife Ky helped him write a lot of the musical).

I don't really know what they were trying to prove. It's not really a damning allegation - they are basically saying he was egotistical. Didn't everyone already know that?

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I'd be surprised if someone who has "made it" in Hollywood WASN'T an egotistical jerk.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Yikes on bikes. Can't say I'm surprised that he'd treat his staff badly. I mean, we all found out a while back that he cheated on his wife...I admire Joss as an artist, and writer, but no longer as a person. I don't think he's a good guy.

Btvs fan

Scooby
For me it's not even about defending him, it's about not being able to stand this kind of "hyena" behavior. I'm tired of seeing anyone getting dog piled in general, especially when it seems disproportionate. JW might be a bit of an ass, who knows, but having all these articles making him seem like some kind of monster just doesn't sit right with me... you'd think if he was this despotic people wouldn't still be remembering him fondly or be willing to work with him again once they're no longer tied to him.
Everyone can be an asshole at times, especially when working under pressure and especially when you have people buttering you up all day, but until someone comes up with some proof that he did something truly horrific, I'll pass.
Joss has big influence in Hollywood. You don't want to risk your career by saying something. How he fired the writer of the Buffy S2 episode Halloween from way back seems to indicate he wasn't great even back then.

You ever seen that FPJ interview a few years back about Directors who think they can do what they like. (He doesn't name names but the implication is its Joss).
Why do you think he didn't explicitly name names because of the power these people like Joss have. Hollywood despite its claims to be forward thinking and Joss own boasts of being a feminist, really isn't. The reality is its all fake and youve got some seedy people in power and want to keep it that way. So if you want to get ahead you knuckle on down amd get on with it

Hell look at Eliza Dushku she seems to have pretty much been blackballed by the Bull incident. She was noticeably absent from both Buffy and Angel reunions.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I do believe all sorts of horrible things happen in Hollywood. I believe Joss is part of that (though funny how he got his own medicine in the Buffy movie of the 90s). I expect it takes a certain personality type to thrive there, just as it does on the fast track of corporate and criminal organizations and politicians.

But at the same time I think of things like the Dreyfus Affair (note, I'm reaching that far back in time to avoid risking my post being transferred to the political thread or to start an unrelated debate, there are certainly no shortage of similar examples since then all the way into the modern day) in which even evidence of innocence was transformed into evidence of guilt just because of how people, who either hated Jews or just already believed the worse, did mental acrobatics to make everything make him look even more guilty so that proof against his guilt added up to proof FOR his guilt. It was a miracle that he was pardoned (which I'm sure most weren't), and he's just one example.

This has only become more pronounced in an era of fake news (where even foreign teens make money selling Americans the fake news they want) to people on twitter and the like deliberately lying, cutting and pasting to deliberately misrepresent context or even invent outright fiction, and the like, and seem to do it for no other reason than the same sadistic, self-righteous addicted posturing of a child in middle school spreading gossip to outrage and shock others.

Furthermore, Hollywood seems to be filled with narcissists (which actually makes sense to me as well), and I expect Joss is one...as are many if not most of his accusers. On top of that, celebrity news thrives on scandal (and often times, so do actors that find that notoriety helps them more than harms them, sometimes even when they have to flee the US and work from another country).

In the end I remain cynical of Hollywood, yet treat all these reports as in this thread with skepticism, and figuring both sides to be toxic. 'Course it beggars belief that so many making these allegations can't ever make use of legally acquired electronics (that can look like a button, or even just a hidden phone that's recording, as plenty of children have used to bust violent and atrocious teachers)...while such evidence is often barred from a court of law, it seems the court of public opinion is actually much harsher anyway. (But then if that became a thing, deep fakes would become all the rage.)

Top Bottom