• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I dont think I'm okay with the Buffy Reboot.

burrunjor

Potential
If you can't be civil then remove yourself from the discussion. I am tired of reminding you to treat other members with respect.
It's okay I wasn't offended. All I will say to Kat to stop this from becoming another DW convo is that self loathing fanboy isn't about preferring certain eras. I'm not saying all New Who fans are self loathing fans.

If you prefer New Who as a whole to Classic Who, fine. Can't argue with that, that's your opinion. Self loathing fans are people who were bullied or sneered at for liking something the media deemed uncool, and so when they take it over they become obsessed with making sure it's never seen that way again. Now fair enough everyone who does an adaptation of something to some extent will want to overcome stigma, update it, keep it relevent.

However the self loathing fanboy like I said will take it to the utmost extreme. They will happily make the show, film, character etc like anything they think is popular, even if it's a totally wrong fit for the character, just to keep it relevent.

Case in point the 2004 Van Helsing becoming like Angel and Blade because that was what was popular then, even though that was all wrong for Van Helsing who is really more of a Giles character. Similarly the 98 Godzilla becoming more like Jurassic Park because that was popular then, and finally the New Who brigade making DW more Buffy lite than actually DW, hence why we get a character once played by William Hartnell getting off with a character played by Billie Piper LOL.

You need to have confidence that the thing you are updating can still be itself, but sadly because of the way a lot of these franchises are bullied by the media, not all fans do which is what leads to problems with some adaptations like JJ Abrams Trek and the 98 Godzilla.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Whether you were offended or not doesn't matter, it's not how we do things here. :)

katmobile

Scooby
It's okay I wasn't offended. All I will say to Kat to stop this from becoming another DW convo is that self loathing fanboy isn't about preferring certain eras. I'm not saying all New Who fans are self loathing fans.

If you prefer New Who as a whole to Classic Who, fine. Can't argue with that, that's your opinion. Self loathing fans are people who were bullied or sneered at for liking something the media deemed uncool, and so when they take it over they become obsessed with making sure it's never seen that way again. Now fair enough everyone who does an adaptation of something to some extent will want to overcome stigma, update it, keep it relevent.

However the self loathing fanboy like I said will take it to the utmost extreme. They will happily make the show, film, character etc like anything they think is popular, even if it's a totally wrong fit for the character, just to keep it relevent.

Case in point the 2004 Van Helsing becoming like Angel and Blade because that was what was popular then, even though that was all wrong for Van Helsing who is really more of a Giles character. Similarly the 98 Godzilla becoming more like Jurassic Park because that was popular then, and finally the New Who brigade making DW more Buffy lite than actually DW, hence why we get a character once played by William Hartnell getting off with a character played by Billie Piper LOL.

You need to have confidence that the thing you are updating can still be itself, but sadly because of the way a lot of these franchises are bullied by the media, not all fans do which is what leads to problems with some adaptations like JJ Abrams Trek and the 98 Godzilla.
Fandoms have to move with the times is all I say. Ok maybe I've over stepped with the reaction to self loathing fanboy - I get more where you're coming from I don't agree but I understand. If you're looking for someone who gets annoyed by Moffat I'd recommend H Bomber Guy he's not a fan of him as a showrunner.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It's worth noting that Trek Fans had all those concerns, they didn't damn the show because the producers ultimately took steps to address them. They also had the advantage of working with Gene and Majel Roddenbury and a lot of the original production team. They listened to their fans, respected what Star Trek stood for, and treated Star Trek like a trust. 21st Century Trek, not so much. It's just a TV show now.

BuffyBot22

Scooby
This may have been answered already, considering I took a hiatus from the boards for quite some time due to dental school. But with nothing to do due to the pandemic, I'm back lol.
So my question, is there still going to be a Buffy reboot?

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
This may have been answered already, considering I took a hiatus from the boards for quite some time due to dental school. But with nothing to do due to the pandemic, I'm back lol.
So my question, is there still going to be a Buffy reboot?
The facts are, it is in pre-production, no announcement regarding production, cast or crew has been made since the Showrunner was announced. The actors from the old show say it's on, as recently as this month. There are likely delays resulting from the Disney sale, the pandemic, and Joss's steampunk Showtime program. It is said that they want to take their time, in order to get it right.

Our opinion is, development hell, probably.

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
Thanks for all the info!
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Some shows never leave development hell.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
So we don't know when if ever there be a new series I guessing at .

Top Bottom