• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Please God- I hope this never happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I pledge to do anything I can, in my small way, to help derail this abomination. No Joss, no Buffy.

DEATH TO NUFFY!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
They can make it, but nobody said we have to watch it.

I'll get my fanfiction from sources I trust thankyouverymuch.

&, for all its good & ills, we have the comics! I'll take them anyday over a non-Joss Buffy movie!!!

But by the time this movie hits theaters; someone's Shanshuing, cause the apocalypse is now.

LMAO! I sooo love you guys on this boards! :D

Meh... I honestly don't care. Like the original Buffy movie, it's not canon so it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Wait- the way the movie was done was not canon, but the original script was, right? I mean, Joss wrote it and then it was adapted via comics in Omnibus.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I dont' see the Kuzuis mentioned in the article. And do they have the rights for the entire franchise, or just the movie? Their names are in the TV credits though.

I've said this before: If Joss wants to make a new movie (either as a continuation or to correct the wrongs of the original movie) in about 10 years and have new actors play the characters, I'm OK with that. Just give us a little bit of distance between the actors. Or if he wants to do some kind of spin-off, with some other Slayers or Fray, I'm good with that too. But Buffy=Joss IMO. Period.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
I've said this before: If Joss wants to make a new movie (either as a continuation or to correct the wrongs of the original movie) in about 10 years and have new actors play the characters, I'm OK with that. Just give us a little bit of distance between the actors. Or if he wants to do some kind of spin-off, with some other Slayers or Fray, I'm good with that too. But Buffy=Joss IMO. Period.[/QUOTE]

For me, it has to have SMG in it. The others are less tragic. But only if it's a canon, and Joss writes it (and SMG in it at least). Because I dream of a canon that is on the screen (i.e. TV or film), and I would love for a Buffy movie. But not like the one they're gonna do!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
For me, it has to have SMG in it. The others are less tragic. But only if it's a canon, and Joss writes it (and SMG in it at least). Because I dream of a canon that is on the screen (i.e. TV or film), and I would love for a Buffy movie. But not like the one they're gonna do!

Y'know, I would love that too, all the original actors, but the bottom line is that too much time is passing, and by the time Joss can get around to it (he'll be working on Avengers for the next 2 years), the actors are just going to be too old. 30-year old Slayers & vampires that look 20 yrs older than when they started? Not working for me. :)

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
Wish there was something that we, the fans, could have done to make this not happen. Maybe turn to some PTB out there or something. Am I too optimistic about our power? Because Buffy fans were always a force to be reckoned with.

Tsquared

self inflicted
It's disappointing and sad that Joss isn't behind this, but I doubt there will ever be a true reboot with Joss on-board. It just isn't happening, which is why I won't be holding my breath and I'll stick to cherishing my DVDs. But, I'm excited about this! REALLY excited, and I will most definitely be watching! :banana:

S
Spikefan31
[No message]

The Unspoken

Champion of the underdogs
Today, Warner Bros. announced plans to remake 1992′s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which gave birth to the much-loved Sarah Michelle Gellar-headed TV series (which we all still worship unashamedly).

This is mentioned here, but not in the 'real' article it links to. Curious...

If they only have the rights to the 1992 movie and that's their only material, then it's definitely gonna suck. Not that it wouldn't suck if they could use the TV show as source material...

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Wish there was something that we, the fans, could have done to make this not happen. Maybe turn to some PTB out there or something. Am I too optimistic about our power? Because Buffy fans were always a force to be reckoned with.

Well Whedon fans managed to get a movie out of a cancelled tv-show so nothing's impossible. Just have to do the opposite thing. ;)

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
Y'know, I would love that too, all the original actors, but the bottom line is that too much time is passing, and by the time Joss can get around to it (he'll be working on Avengers for the next 2 years), the actors are just going to be too old. 30-year old Slayers & vampires that look 20 yrs older than when they started? Not working for me. :)

I know, it makes me mad, it's been making me mad for the last 7 years, and for the first 5 years after the show ended. They could have done it then. If they would have, we wouldn't be in that problem today, with this stupid movie. There is to be a Buffy movie anyway.

Litheran

Rebel without a pulse
I'm just worried what the current culture might do as far as influencing what changes in the mythos.

Four words...sparkly Spike and Angel.

I bet Xander's gonna be a werewolf with crazy abs.

EDIT:
Wait, they're not allowed to use anything from the series; only the movie...yaay..of god please no Pee Wee Herman.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I wonder if other fan forums are going equally berserk over this. There are already 69 comments at Whedonesque, and the article was just posted a couple hrs ago.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I think the producers are hoping there will be a big, loud fan reaction against this movie, which will give them the precious publicity they need to make it a financial success. Nothing helps the box office like an angry crowd of protesters.

The best outcome would be for it to not get made at all due to lack of interest. The second best outcome would be for it to get made and sink without a trace. Direct to DVD would be good.

But if the movie gets made and gets any kind of large public exposure, it's a lose-lose situation for fans of the real Buffy. If the movie is a high-profile disaster, then potential new fans will assume BtVS is "like that crappy movie" and stay away. But if it's popular, it might replace Joss's Buffy in the minds of a new generation of fans.

Old Master 3.0

Watchers Council
Watcher
Black Thorn
"There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return"¦. While this is not your high-school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough and sexy as we all remember her to be." The project has plenty of hurdles ahead, and there is no announced director, but Roven said hopes to see the film reach theaters in 2012 or perhaps even 2011."

"...........................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
............................................................................................................"

*crickets*

"...........................................................................................................
............................................................................................................"

Username
Username
haha that was so awesome :D
S
SlayerOfVampyrs
Hahaha...I love you lmao

xaphania

Spike/Buffy
brinkster130
brinkster130
lol...some great gifs over there!

The Unspoken

Champion of the underdogs
I couldn't help myself.

motivatorb1c91b9484f0f1.jpg

Username
Username
So great!! :D
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
ROFL! :D
brinkster130
brinkster130
[No message]
P
paks
[No message]

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Roven said hopes to see the film reach theaters in 2012 or perhaps even 2011.

By "reach theaters," he must mean "reach the bottom of that big tub of $4.99 DVD's that sits in the middle of the aisle at Best Buy."

Justme

Ohh a user title!
I don't mind if this happens. I mean, we don't have to like or even watch the movie. I think it would be interesting to see how she adapts it so that new viewers can be brought into the fandom.

I'm with you, I don't think it's the end of the world. It could be good, we will have to see.

T
Tsquared
Mmhmm, I'm with you two too! :)

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Leave it to the AV Club :) :
That new, Joss Whedon-less Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie is really happening
by Sean O'Neal November 22, 2010 The idle threats made by Warner Bros. last year to “reboot the Buffy The Vampire Slayer franchise” without any involvement from Joss Whedon have turned out to be not so idle, as today it was confirmed that, after purchasing the rights from producers Fran and Kaz Kuzui—who nearly killed Buffy before she even got started with their 1992 Kristy Swanson version—Warner Bros. and Atlas Entertainment are embarking on a “re-imagining of Buffy and the world she inhabits” for the big screen.

Coming Soon reports that screenwriter Whit Anderson approached Atlas with “an exciting idea for how to update Buffy” from the moldering, yellowing tomes of the early ‘00s, an idea that has yet to be revealed, but about which Atlas’ Charles Roven says, “While this is not your high school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be.” (Remember? From seven years ago?) She also won’t have any of the lovable characters from the TV show around (those being owned by 20th Century Fox), so not only is it not “your high school Buffy”—it’s not the Buffy you know at all, really. (Unless you're one of those people who spent seven seasons of Buffy going, "Where's Pike??!!")

As Roven puts it, “There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return to the big screen,” incisively recognizing that said "active fan base" would like to see this character return to the big screen in pretty much any form at all—so long as she’s still witty and sexy—and would definitely not disavow any new Whedon-less iteration. Because it’s not like Joss Whedon’s fan base is particularly loyal, sarcasm sarcasm.

To her credit, Anderson, an avowed Buffy fan herself, recognizes the importance of giving an honorable reach-around to the show while exploiting its popularity, saying in an L.A. Times profile that she plans to “take the touchstones of the Whedon world but frame them in ‘a new story’ that is very much of the moment,” citing Christopher Nolan’s revival of Batman as an inspiration, as so many people attempting to class up their remakes do these days. As such, her new take on Buffy is "relevant to today," for our generation, as opposed to the old Buffy, which didn't even have Twitter and Obama and stuff.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-new-joss-whedonless-buffy-the-vampire-slayer,48086/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom