• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Please God- I hope this never happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litheran

Rebel without a pulse
I wish this woman's head would explode and her corpse would be beset upon by hungry rats..............I SAID I WISH...aw hell with it; never a vengeance demon around when you need one.

Tsquared

self inflicted
I don't mind if this happens. I mean, we don't have to like or even watch the movie. I think it would be interesting to see how she adapts it so that new viewers can be brought into the fandom.

I was just thinking this too! What a great way to bring in new fans, and to have much more topics to discuss and expand on the already huge Buffy universe. I mean think about it, the new film AND the comics. I think we're at the minority here, but yeah I don't mind the film going through either.

The only problem I do see is a hit-and-miss, meaning epic flop because of a sour story or something else. This of course could go both ways though, even with Joss and the original actors on-board. So, meh. I'm still excited that we're getting Buffy news at all! :)

Username

Scooby
And she says that she's a Buffy fan herself?! how can she do this then
when something is perfect you leave it alone and you worship it from a distance, you do not spit on it!

T
The Unspoken
You made a spelling error. 'Spit' should have an 'h' instead of a 'p'.
S
Skytteflickan88
You must have fanfiction.

The Unspoken

Champion of the underdogs
I was just thinking this too! What a great way to bring in new fans, and to have much more topics to discuss and expand on the already huge Buffy universe. I mean think about it, the new film AND the comics. I think we're at the minority here, but yeah I don't mind the film going through either.

The only problem I do see is a hit-and-miss, meaning epic flop because of a sour story or something else. This of course could go both ways though, even with Joss and the original actors on-board. So, meh. I'm still excited that we're getting Buffy news at all! :)

They're basing the remake on the 1992 movie - which is the only thing they have the rights to - so it can't expand on the 'verse in any way. And Pike and Lothos aren't exactly hot topics around here.

In other news: 'Joss' is one of the trending topics on Twitter.

The Chosen
The Chosen
[No message]

Skytteflickan88

Proud Spikette
Frak, I just posted this since I didn't see it in the lastest announcements. My bad.

Atleast it's a new reboot, giving me better vibes than the Kuzui-reboot.

zobothehobo

Scooby
SlayerOfVampyrs agrees: Are you gonna pay to get into the film?!? Don't support it! KILL IT BEFORE IT DIES! :p
No, of course not. I was joking. I mean, I legit might do that when it goes to the dollar theater... but that doesn't count as supporting it in my opinion. It's a step up from watching online. I'll probably watch it so I can talk about how much it sucks. If I watch online and I throw things at my screen, I'll just hurt my computer. I don't want that.

S
SlayerOfVampyrs
LMAO, True, I didn't think about that haha.

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
I'm a bit shocked by the amount of negativity shown in this thread. Sure, I'm a big fan of the Buffyverse, and I love the characters to bits. But, from reading this article, it made me feel a lil more interested about this project than I was before.

I'll most likely go see it, unless some things comes out that make me change my mind by then. I'm interested to see someone's else take on the character.

It's not gonna be the show. There won't be any Angel, or Spike, or Willow, ect... But I'm hoping for it to be gritty and witty. Hopefully it won't be anything like the first movie(which was abysmal). :)

T
Tsquared
I agree Z!
S
Spikefan31
[No message]

Francy79

Townie
It's not just that Joss isn't behind the wheel, for me.

For me Buffy doesn't exist without Spike, Angel, Giles, Xander and all the other characters from the show. I'm not interested in watching a movie where she is placed in an environment with totally new characters (or the old characters from the original movie), in the slightest.

I really don't understand what they think they are accomplishing with this...they should wait a few more years before trying a reboot.

Tsquared

self inflicted
They're basing the remake on the 1992 movie - which is the only thing they have the rights to - so it can't expand on the 'verse in any way. And Pike and Lothos aren't exactly hot topics around here.

In other news: 'Joss' is one of the trending topics on Twitter.
"
Movies, not only shows, can create fandoms in themselves. So, it can expand the "universe" in whole. From what I read, it isn't a stone remake of the original film so we cannot really compare the two. Way too early on. ;)

In other news: Awesome! Love how the BB fandom can stir things up so much. Perhaps the ruckus might get both Joss and the studio's attention, I would prefer Joss on-board but like I said, the news itself has me happy. :banana:

If the studio (or whoever) does decide to ignore the uproar however, and the movie does go through... I will still fully pay my way into the theater to watch it, and leave either hating it or loving it. Maybe neither. Woot woot. :)

Tome
Tome
Totally with ya, Ant!

Skytteflickan88

Proud Spikette
I used to hate this idea so much, but it's just useless to do so. And mean to wish this woman dead (I hope you wanna be murderers would at least feel some guilt if she was hit by a bus tomorrow).

I love fanfiction. Why shouldn't I atleast be open to the possibility that this might be a enjoyable story, authentic or not?

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
This is making me angry. Yeah, I would love a Buffy reboot but there is no way that it's going to be any good without Joss or any of the cast members. That's just a ridiculous idea. Joss would have to write the script or else it's just going to flop. Maybe more people will be brought into the fanbase but somehow that doesn't make me any happier. They'll be brought in by something that isn't really Buffy. I'm not settling for it. Nor am I going to watch it.

SlayerOfVampyrs

VuffytheSampireBlayer
My reaction: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/cyberpenguin/gifs/buffywtf.gif

What I want to do to this new writer:
buffykicksriley.gif

Edit!:

Also this:
illyriazpunch1.gif

That is all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tome
Tome
Not that I agree with your sentiments, but Willow's reaction in the first gif is hilarious! LMAO
The Chosen
The Chosen
LMAO awesome gifs! I love Buffy's disgusted face

Tsquared

self inflicted
Why is there so much hostility towards the writer? If she didn't agree to write the film they'd easily replace her. At least, by the article, she is a huge fan of the show..

:p

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
This is making me angry. Yeah, I would love a Buffy reboot but there is no way that it's going to be any good without Joss or any of the cast members. That's just a ridiculous idea. Joss would have to write the script or else it's just going to flop.

Why?

Buffy is Joss's creation. Fine.

But if everything he makes is so great why do people disagree with some or a lot of his decisions and wanting the fame and glory to also be on the other people behind the show? Why wasn't Dollhouse a given success? Why did Firefly get cancelled so fast? Everything to do with FOX or did Joss have something to do with it? Why do some totally want to ignore the comics? Joss is involved in them isn't he? Then they should be awesome. No? I've heard saying that Joss is destroying the story. So why would a movie be great by default?

I get the frustration and dislike for a movie being done without Joss or some of the cast. That doesn't bother me that much. But to claim everything but what you want will be a total disaster and will flop big time is just... Well I think I'll stop there.

I love loads of shows and movies that got totally zip to do with Joss. Some I don't care for and some I nearly hate. All those things are possible with the new movie but to know in advance is impossible. The movie won't be the same as the Buffy we are used to. To be honest that's how I want it. It'll be a different take and it's what it should be seen as.

*making myself popular*
I think a lot of people need to take a deep breath, calm down, go for a walk and gather their thoughts. Not saying anyone will change their minds but at the moment it feels like frustration are doing most of the talking.

T
Tsquared
[No message]
Tome
Tome
[No message]
S
Spikefan31
[No message]

prophecygrrl

The girl in question
I was outraged by the idea at first partly out of loyalty to my favorite characters and all, but thinking about it even more, I don't care much. I've never seen the original movie (and I don't know if that makes me a bad Buffy fan or a smart one, lol) and it's not counted as canon anyway, so why not? The (disastrous, IMO) Season Eight comics, on the other hand, are considered BTVS canon WITH Joss's express participation...

It just doesn't seem like things could get much worse anyway, Joss or no Joss.

The only thing I'd be miffed about is if this movie got made and people flocked over to it more than the original TV series cause it's shiner and sexier and newer and whatnot. THAT would be an issue. *sharpens Slayer weapons*

Washburne
Washburne
Happy I managed to get my post before yours. I'm sure you can see why.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I used to hate this idea so much, but it's just useless to do so. And mean to wish this woman dead (I hope you wanna be murderers would at least feel some guilt if she was hit by a bus tomorrow).

I love fanfiction. Why shouldn't I atleast be open to the possibility that this might be a enjoyable story, authentic or not?

I don't have any particular animosity toward the screenwriter. Someone trying to break into films would pretty much have to be crazy to turn down a gig like this. (How much of her script will be left after the studio producers are finished hacking it is another question.)

I love fanfiction to... in fact, I write it. But I don't look to make money from it, and I don't claim that my version of the story should replace Joss's in the public mind. Let's be honest here... the purpose of a "reboot" is, by definition, to replace the original. Since this Nuffy movie and the TV series will be completely incompatible in terms of characters, setting and plot, WB is hoping the new generation of fans will abandon Joss's Buffy and embrace theirs instead.

X
xaphania
[No message]

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
But I don't look to make money from it, and I don't claim that my version of the story should replace Joss's in the public mind. Let's be honest here... the purpose of a "reboot" is, by definition, to replace the original. Since this Nuffy movie and the TV series will be completely incompatible in terms of characters, setting and plot, WB is hoping the new generation of fans will abandon Joss's Buffy and embrace theirs instead.

I really don't think anybody claimed that they wanted their story/views to replace Joss' work in the public mind. This is a new take on the character - Buffy - and not a 'reboot'. And how could a 'new' generation abandon Joss' Buffy? Unless by that you meant that they were new to the show? Even if that is the case, why couldn't new(and old) fans appreciate both BtVS and this new take on it?

We should be more open-minded!

S
Skytteflickan88
[No message]

sisterofmercy

Ray of Sunshine..
I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I'm sceptical of how good the writing will be if Joss isn't involved in it. Plus Buffy without SMG will take some getting used to.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I really don't think anybody claimed that they wanted their story/views to replace Joss' work in the public mind. This is a new take on the character - Buffy - and not a 'reboot'. And how could a 'new' generation abandon Joss' Buffy? Unless by that you meant that they were new to the show? Even if that is the case, why couldn't new(and old) fans appreciate both BtVS and this new take on it?

We should be more open-minded!

I don't have a very open mind when it comes to theft. Buffy is Joss's character. He created her, he's told her story (as writer or supervisor) for 13 years now. Warner Bros., with their tens of millions of dollars of studio money, now wants to drive all his work into obscurity and replace it with their own version. Believe me, they have no desire to make money for Fox.

No Joss, no Buffy, no exceptions. That's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom