• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffies, do you like Bangel even a little?

I like Bangel - I enjoy them in season 2 and occasionally in season 3. Sometimes I even write fanfics about them. They're great manipping material - a very beautiful couple.

But I love Spuffy more. Love their passion, snark, impossible combination of comedy and tragedy in the same bottle. Love that they transgress and subvert TV tropes, cultural traditions, artistic formulas.

Love that Spike is always there for Buffy.

(So I hope you'll let me ship Bangel a bit, my dear friends) :)

H
hazzard
[No message]

strawberryeve

Townie
I don't mind watching Bangel and I agree there are some really sweet moments in Seasons 1-3 but after that it seems so forced, like she has to justify her puppy-love. As viewers we are just to accept that they are madly in love but with Spuffy we witness their sexual tension grow into a great love. I've grown to love Angel but Bangel was never believable to me and Season 8 made zero sense. Again we were just supposed to accept that they were meant for each other without any representation. Its one of the few -Verse relationships that I feel wasn't "earned".

zobothehobo

Scooby
There are some Bangel scenes that make me "awww" like The Prom... but in general, I do not like Bangel. I do not like who they are when they're together and I agree with Amy, they bring out the worst in each other.

EvilWillow

Scooby
Sure, I like Bangel. Its a very likeable ship. I think it's kind of vanilla though...the same stuff over and over, "I love you but I can't be with you, blah blah blah".

I hear a lot of Bangels talk about "The Prom and how it was such a sweet moment and Angel was such a great guy for that. Come on, are you kidding me?? Sure, I give him props for showing up (and looking good) but seriously....the first thing he says to Buffy is: "It's just for tonight. It doesn't mean..." Yeah, Angel. Way to ruin a perfectly good moment by reminding the girl that loves you that you don't want to be with her.

What I love most about Spike is that he was able to love Buffy without a soul. Truly love her enough that he would always put her before himself.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
So, I'm snowed-in and banned from work, so I've been watching some S3.

And man, maybe I forgot because it'd been so long since I seriously watched a Bangel scene, but was there some delicious angst with these two! Bordering on melodrama. These two are very entertaining! Buffy and Angel basically invented angst, I think haha
Anyhow, I'm enjoying watching these two for entertainment value.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Hum no, not really. I've never been interested in this ship. I've tried, I've really tried but I just don't feel for them. It's too melodramatic and over-the-top for me. And also quite boring sometimes.These are a few of my numerous issues with bangel ^^. I can get that people like/love it, but I just don't.

L

Living Dead Boy

Okey dokie, don't get me wrong, I don't despise them with a firey passion. They do have some wonderful, touching moments, but like others have said, it was very melodramatic with the puppy love and stuff. Frankly, they are kind of boring as well, because it's the same page they're turning (I love you, but we can't be together, like others have said.) The only time I got genuinely invested in the ship was when Angel turned evil. Their relationship got a billion times more interesting to me. But maybe I like my ships to be dark and complicated, like my relationships. Spuffy's was real, it was honest, it was blunt, and after all they went through, they brought out the absolute best and the absolute worst of each other. If you know someone from the inside out like that, then that's what I call a soulmate. :)

Miss Kitty
Miss Kitty
[No message]

StarSlayer

Defender of Spuffy
I do like Bangel in seasons 1 and 2. I even rooted for them during that time before I knew anything about Spuffy. But, like others, season 3 was the killer. I couldn't stand who they were becoming when they were together, especially since I love both Buffy and Angel as characters. And I HATE "Amends." Yeah, snowflakes miraculously falling will solve all their problems. Please ;) But, I do appreciate their relationship and I respect those who ship them.

I get the whole "your first love could be your forever love." And that one day, fate may bring you back together. It's been done in countless movies and TV shows, and it is a beautiful thing when it works out, even in real life. And there are certain stories where I root for those couples. But, it just didn't happen for me with Bangel.

Spuffy is much more real to me. And I loved the progression of their story way more than I ever did with Bangel. I will say this though...I do like Bangel for how it helped develop Spuffy. I think after Angel left, Buffy doubted her ability to love. If she couldn't make it work with her first love, how would she make it work with anyone else? But, literally, in the end, she finally confessed what she had been feeling all along...that she loved Spike. It was always hard for her to say the words romantically after Angel left because based on that relationship, she thought love wouldn't last. But, it does. It may be with someone else, but there's no denying that great love "burns and consumes." So, Buffy will always remember Angel (pun intended based on their episode, hehe) and love him (first love and all), but that doesn't mean they're meant to be. Instead, your first love can make you grow and ultimately, lead you to the person who were maybe meant for along.

InsaneMystic agrees: haven't read you post in ages! what kept ya?
Life, lol! Still have some unfinished business, but Spuffy has helped me get through some personal things so I felt like posting again! :)

Last edited:
I
InsaneMystic
haven't read you post in ages! what kept ya? :)

badwolf

Potential
Bangel is great. I have no problem with it, and I'm glad it was a part of the show. I can't really imagine Spike being there for her at that time, and Angel was great as her first love.

riceballalien

Spuffy for life! :D
I like Bangel....a little bit. I appreciated in the beginning...then it just got old...really quick. I personally think Angel has an extremely boring personality when he was on Buffy. I really like him in ATS. Yea and like others said...end of season 8 ruined Bangel for me.

Spike is cool and he loves hard with or without a soul. He is strong, passionate, and knows what he wants. I think Buffy needs that in her life. IMO, I think that is why no matter what, he will be in her life for awhile. He is like her rock. She always goes to him when she is in trouble..or needs a shoulder to cry on. Its a lot more than her relationship with Angel ever gave her. She clings to the past. I think for everyone it is hard to get over their first love. So hopefully, she will give in again to Spike lol (sorry random rant) I will forever love Spuffy. Bangel doesn't even compare.

Cheese Slices
Cheese Slices
[No message]

WileyDairyGnome

Strong like an Amazon
Sineya
I really don't like Bangel. Every time Angel shows up on the screen, I always roll my eyes and shudder...

The only time I didn't mind them was in "I Will Remember You". The end was pretty sad and I felt bad, but in the end I just can't stand Angel. Sorry. :p

I
InsaneMystic
same here. ever since S8, watching the Bad Hair Dude went from "meh, he's somewhat annoying" to "Kill it! Kill it with fire!!!" for me. :evillol:
BananaBuffy
BananaBuffy
IWRY is the only episode where I actually...kinda...ship them? Maybe. Or maybe that's going a little too far but I like it.
D
drizzlydaze
[No message]

Jeff86

Potential
I like Bangel in Season 1 and Season 2, but by Season 3 it felt a little bit more drawn out and repetitive. This mostly has to do with the fact that I like it when Buffy is happy, Angel is just there for most of it. I do however LOVE the Angelus arc. That really was amazing to watch. But Spuffy, and Spike himself are always a breath of fresh air. Spike for me is by far the more dynamic and interesting character compared to Angel. And I always point this out, but Spike loved Buffy without his soul, whereas Angel didn't. Just saying. :)

Goby
Goby
[No message]

scoobygang

Potential
I'm a spuffy in my heart but i must confess that i llike the first kiss between buffy and angel and i like also theire first love scene. It's very sensual.
Now, for me, the best is spike. I has for me all the qualitites.

Jod

Cookie dough
Sure I like 'Bangel'. It was Buffy's first love and without it the show wouldnt feel the same. The only thing that i didnt like is when angel broke up with buffy on her prom night (poor buffbuff).
But i will always prefer Spike & Buffy ;)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I enjoyed Bangel while it was a thing on the show. I have no doubt they loved each other a great deal, but here's the thing; he was her first love. It's sweet, but most people don't have just one love in their lifetime. You meet someone, you love them, you move on and meet someone else who you love. You love differently, better, less.

Bangel is no more or less of a love story than Spuffy. It's just that I personally feel her love for Spike is more real, more raw, more passionate. That's not to discredit her love for Angel, which was the very pure, innocent love of a 16 year old girl and her first boyfriend. You never forget your first and that'll always be true, but she just seems to gel more with Spike, who, as a character is far more interesting than Angel ever was on BtVS.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
[No message]

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I enjoyed Bangel while it was a thing on the show. I have no doubt they loved each other a great deal, but here's the thing; he was her first love. It's sweet, but most people don't have just one love in their lifetime. You meet someone, you love them, you move on and meet someone else who you love. You love differently, better, less.

Bangel is no more or less of a love story than Spuffy. It's just that I personally feel her love for Spike is more real, more raw, more passionate. That's not to discredit her love for Angel, which was the very pure, innocent love of a 16 year old girl and her first boyfriend. You never forget your first and that'll always be true, but she just seems to gel more with Spike, who, as a character is far more interesting than Angel ever was on BtVS.
I couldn't say it any better myself so I won't even try.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
Even the first time I saw it (before I knew Spike existed) I didn't like Bangel. Too broody, tortured and dramatic for me. Not my style.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
Even the first time I saw it (before I knew Spike existed) I didn't like Bangel. Too broody, tortured and dramatic for me. Not my style.
broody, tortured, and dramatic......perfect for a teenage girl looking for a first time thrill but not really worth building a life around.

Top Bottom