• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffies, do you like Bangel even a little?

debbicles

Music is what makes life amazing
I agree with Paul - I did so enjoy watching them at the time. I felt for Buffy and Angel when they realised they could never be together. It was a different story and romance to anything else shown either then or before. It was really intense and if it became melodramatic it wa never OTT. But it did become somewhat repetitive for me, and I think they have outgrown eachother now. Whilst they will always hold a special place in each other's heart, their lives have moved on.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Don't forgot Angel would have never went out with Buffy if he hadn't been pushed into it so it wasn't a true relationship .

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Yes I LOVED Bangel... But only when I first was watching season 1-3. I didn't know someone as awesome as Spike would be another option. And I LOOOOVE the Angelus arc. I actually really enjoy Angelus (on BTVS and ATS) I would never want someone like him in real life of course. And I hate him for killing Jenny, but I think he is much more interesting than Angel (at least than Angel in BTVS). I liked the episode "Angel" in season 1. And I shipped Bangel. But after I had seen Spuffy, Bangel couldn't even compare anymore. That's also why I don't go "Awww" in IWRY because I first watched all 7 season of Buffy and then Angel. So I was already a Spuffy fan while watching IWRY. But I love the fact that David said "Sarah" in the episode to comfort her. Because Sarah is a Bangel defenitely! That's cute. But I HATE Amends, the walking in the snow and holding hands... WAAAYY too cheesy for my taste.
I do like Bangel in seasons 1 and 2. I even rooted for them during that time before I knew anything about Spuffy. And I HATE "Amends." Yeah, snowflakes miraculously falling will solve all their problems. Please ;) But, I do appreciate their relationship and I respect those who ship them.
Yes!
I have no problem with Bangel. There are already a few great scenes with a certain awww effect. And yes there are a few moments when I think they are cute together - but that's rare. I don't hate Bangel - but I don't like the schmaltzy between them.
Same.
And there are things I like about Bangel but there are as many that I don't like. Spuffy and Cangel are endgame!!! I love Spuffy, I love Cangel, I loved Bangel, now I think Bangel is likeable. (is that a word?) And as many people have said before: Angel was Buffys first love and they really loved each other, but Spuffy is more real, more... grown up. Bangel is a first love, a farytale love, puppy-love, it's cheesy and melodramatic. It is beautiful and entertaining to watch, but I wouldn't want it to be endgame.
broody, tortured, and dramatic......perfect for a teenage girl looking for a first time thrill but not really worth building a life around.
Absolutely agree!
I enjoyed Bangel while it was a thing on the show. I have no doubt they loved each other a great deal, but here's the thing; he was her first love. It's sweet, but most people don't have just one love in their lifetime. You meet someone, you love them, you move on and meet someone else who you love. You love differently, better, less.

Bangel is no more or less of a love story than Spuffy. It's just that I personally feel her love for Spike is more real, more raw, more passionate. That's not to discredit her love for Angel, which was the very pure, innocent love of a 16 year old girl and her first boyfriend. You never forget your first and that'll always be true, but she just seems to gel more with Spike, who, as a character is far more interesting than Angel ever was on BtVS.
Agree!
In Season 1 - 3 I like it, but I think that Angel was Buffy's first love and Spike is Buffy's real love.
Yes!!!
But in the end I just can't stand Angel. Sorry. :p
Same. But I liked him a little bit on ATS. He had more personality on Angel than he had on Buffy. And I think that's mostly because there was no Bangel anymore, so he wasn't only the good looking, brooding boyfriend. He was Angel. But still Angel is far, very far from being one of my favourite characters.
Okey dokie, don't get me wrong, I don't despise them with a firey passion. They do have some wonderful, touching moments, but like others have said, it was very melodramatic with the puppy love and stuff. Frankly, they are kind of boring as well, because it's the same page they're turning (I love you, but we can't be together, like others have said.) The only time I got genuinely invested in the ship was when Angel turned evil. Their relationship got a billion times more interesting to me. But maybe I like my ships to be dark and complicated, like my relationships. Spuffy's was real, it was honest, it was blunt, and after all they went through, they brought out the absolute best and the absolute worst of each other. If you know someone from the inside out like that, then that's what I call a soulmate. :)
^ This is everything I need to say, thanks @Living Dead Boy I agree 100% with your post!

Last edited:

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
As a Willow fan, it is not so much about Bangel vs Spuffy for me, it is just as much about early vs late season BtVS. I mean, I love the high school years, but many of the things I love the most belong to the later seasons - like Tara and Dawn.
With the early and late season has nothing to do with Bangel or Spuffy for me, but I agree. I love the High School Years, but MANY things I love the most are in the later seasons. - My favourite season I think is season 5 and I love 4-7 more than 1-3 but in 3 we have Vamp Willow and Faith. But I still like the seasons with Willow and Tara (1-6... also like 7. I know not such a popular opinion, right?) the most.
And for Angel I like season 4 and 5 the most. But the early ones are also great (like with Buffy). 4 mostly because of Orpheus, I actually don't like the Jasmine story. And season 5 because of Spike and (I know you don't wanna hear it but...) Fresley.
I really love ALL Episodes and everything related to the Buffyverse in any way. I love all 144 BTVS and 110 ATS episodes. But I guess I'm a later season Fan. (Okay sorry this is off topic... Bangel is okay Spuffy and Cangel are endgame! I love Tillow!!! Buffyverse (and EVERYTHING that belongs to it. Who cares about Bangel or Spuffy? It's all part of the greatest story that was ever told. BTVS and ATS. Because even the things I don't like about the Buffyverse, I love them!!!) Forever!)

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Yes of course as a Spuffy fan I love Bangel, Bangel is the first couple of the tv show, that lasted the first 3 seasons of BTVS, they are cute together, even in the later seasons when they aren't together, there's always a little something between B&A and B&A kind of have a connection (Slayer/Vampire with a soul who share loneliness). The first best moments of BTVS are about B&A (Becoming, Innocence...) this is mostly when the show started becoming great. If Angel would have become human, I would be happy for B&A to get together even if I am Spuffy for their dynamic. The moments when I was owwww about Bangel are :

Becoming : Angel looks at Buffy crying at her home in L.A and decided that he wanted to help her
Amends : All B&A scenes but mostly in the end of the episode with the snow
Helpless : That scene with the "touch your heart" line, that moment I think it is my favorite Bangel scene of all BTVS or ATS
Surprise : All Bangel scenes

Serenityrose

Townie
I've never liked Bangel together romantically.

That said I think the Angelus arc in season 2 was one of the best written stories on the show and while I never felt compelled to root for them romantically, I invested in Buffy and her pain and struggles she went through.

AstridDante

Potential
I can see the appeal in earlier seasons for sure. They look great together and they sold the romance. However I personally didn’t like the melodrama. Also I felt they didn’t really know each other like Buffy and Spike grew to. For me Spuffy is more real and that’s the way I like my relationships shown on TV whereas Bangel seems more fantasy but I do get why people like that

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
I like every long-term relationship Buffy has (meaning, taking up more than 2-3 episodes and not one sided from Buffy's direction)--just each for different reasons. And, yes, that includes Riley. If Professor Walsh hadn't jacked him up with "vitamins" and God-only-knows what else, he probably would have been a great guy.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
So what do you think about Faith then if we talking about every long-term relationship Buffy has had :cool:

AstridDante

Potential
Coming back to this. Angel and Buffy had wonderful romantic chemistry in early seasons. They really sold it. I didn’t feel the same chemistry in their last scene in Chosen. It seemed forced to me or didnt have that spark. I prefer the Spuffy dynamic and story overall

Top Bottom