• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffies, do you like Bangel even a little?

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
broody, tortured, and dramatic......perfect for a teenage girl looking for a first time thrill but not really worth building a life around.
I'm curious as to what other Spuffy fans first crushes/loves were like. In real life what type did we go for and what type did we eventually end up with.

My first love, though we never ended up together, was a very intelligent boy, sharp dry sense of humor, decent looks but not the sort that would grab much attention.

Was married to a man who was fairly similar to him for 25 years. Had two short term relationships after that with bad boys...none as stunningly handsome or slick as Spike, but they made me feel pretty deliciously naughty at the time. lol.

Oh dear, maybe it was a pre Buffy, post Buffy thing! Once I saw Spike I realized the fun I had been missing.

On second thought...maybe in my younger years I was a William sort of gal, and later I became a Spike sort of gal.

Case in point, I am traveling a fair distance and spending a ridiculous amount of money to see James Marsters next month....hmmm

Last edited:

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm curious as to what other Spuffy fans first crushes/loves were like. In real life what type did we go for and what type did we eventually end up with.
See, in my teens/early 20s I always went for the bad boy. I met some awful guys who, quite frankly, treated me terribly. I learned my lesson though and met a sweet lovely guy who I'm now married to. So for me it was the Spike's first and then the William! I kind of got the bad boy out of my system before I did anything crazy like marry one of them!

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
See, in my teens/early 20s I always went for the bad boy. I met some awful guys who, quite frankly, treated me terribly. I learned my lesson though and met a sweet lovely guy who I'm now married to. So for me it was the Spike's first and then the William! I kind of got the bad boy out of my system before I did anything crazy like marry one of them!
lucky Buffy.....how many of us get a good boy and a bad boy all in one package?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
The OP asked if there were ever any moments where I was okay with/shipped Bangel. The answer is yes, a whopping two times :)

The end of Becoming made (and still sometimes makes) me wish that Angel could stay, because Buffy's pain was and always will be my pain. So, for the sake of her happiness, if nothing else, I wanted him to not go to hell. The other time was, funnily enough, after Bangel was, technically, over. It was that moment in The Yoko Factor, in the hallway, where Angel tells Buffy that he doesn't like Riley. I kinda go 'aw' sometimes when I watch that.

But...that's it :p

Stoney

Spiked!
Inspired by Chosen Enemy's thread here: thhttps://buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=54811

So, Spuffies, this is the moment of truth...do you like Bangel at all? Even a little? Any scenes that give you that fuzzy feeling? Make you go "Aww"? Time to confess!
Yeah I liked Bangel's run in the early seasons even though the notion of an unsurpassable 'one true love' isn't a premise I enjoy in romances. I think it was the fact that there was a significance to their connection at that time in their individual stories for them both that I really felt worked, the way they were getting that first experience of a partner that could support them and straddle both worlds with them. So I liked seeing them work together and also, even if they were questioning whether it could work, I liked the ice skating at night and idea of a chilled out blanket chat in the graveyard. :)

Spuffy freak

Potential
No, not even a little. Angel was very dull and broody for me I only found him interesting when he turned Angelus but then he killed Jenny after that I could never like him again. Plus the Epic twilight type of romances don't do much for me and I m glad the creators didn't stick in that rut and gave us the goodness that's spuffy :D

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
And don't forget his hair stands straight up

zoe

Townie
I liked bangel on S1 and 2 i thought it was an interesting story, a slayer and a vampire together and this whole thing of the first love i enjoyed, but when S3 came... that was all for me, episodes like Amends, Graduation Day and later IWRY, well it was too much drama and angst, and i get tired of that, and the "we love each other but can´t be together" it began to be too repetitive for me.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I liked bangel on S1 and 2 i thought it was an interesting story, a slayer and a vampire together and this whole thing of the first love i enjoyed, but when S3 came... that was all for me, episodes like Amends, Graduation Day and later IWRY, well it was too much drama and angst, and i get tired of that, and the "we love each other but can´t be together" it began to be too repetitive for me.
Same here . I think that the whole Angel backing away was wrong & then when on Angel they had him going Cordy I just gave up on Bangel .

white avenger

white avenger
I have no problem whatsoever with Bangel when it was an item. I just think that at some point both Buffy and Angel came to the conclusion, like any adult couple would, that, given the circumstances as they then existed, they were never going to be together, without very bad things happening, of which, Seasons 2 and 8 are the two most extreme examples.

Bangel is beautiful and sad, and doomed from the moment that it was revealed that Angel was a vampire back in Season 1. Bangel is the Buffyverse equivalent of Romeo and Juliet, in Joss' own words. Sadly, while Romeo and Juliet have one of the greatest loves in all of fiction, it is also one of the most tragic, consuming, not only the lovers themselves, but those close to them, as well.

Buffy is every young man's fantasy, and Angel is every young girl's dream. Unfortunately, dreams sometimes become nightmares.

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Which is another reason not to like it.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
I have no problem with Bangel. There are already a few great scenes with a certain awww effect. And yes there are a few moments when I think they are cute together - but that's rare. I don't hate Bangel - but I don't like the schmaltzy between them.

F
flow
Schmaltzy - that totally hits the nail

Priceless

Scooby
Just watching Lie To me and the way Angel asks 'Do you love me?' before he's willing to tell Buffy what he did to Dru just makes my skin itch. She's a 16 year old girl and he's emotionally manipulating her. It's behaviour like that which really puts me off Angel. But yeah, there are some sweet moments too

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
There were some sweet moments true but also some moments where you say . " Why the * are they a couple ".

TotallySpiked

Slaying
Black Thorn
When I’m watching seasons 1-3 I’m a Bangel and when I watch seasons 4-7 I’m a Spuffy. It always has been that way for me.
I love both the relationships and I take different bits and pieces from both. Myself, I prefer the firy passion between Buffy and Spike as it definately feels more mature. But I love the premise of first love triumphing over all. Every time I watch Becoming II I always die alongside Buffy when she has to sacrifice Angel. It will always be my favourite episode of the series. Hits me right in the heart.
I’ll always defend Spuffy as it’s always seen as the ‘negative’ ship, but I just love it.

Priceless

Scooby
When I’m watching seasons 1-3 I’m a Bangel and when I watch seasons 4-7 I’m a Spuffy. It always has been that way for me.
I love both the relationships and I take different bits and pieces from both. Myself, I prefer the firy passion between Buffy and Spike as it definately feels more mature. But I love the premise of first love triumphing over all. Every time I watch Becoming II I always die alongside Buffy when she has to sacrifice Angel. It will always be my favourite episode of the series. Hits me right in the heart.
I’ll always defend Spuffy as it’s always seen as the ‘negative’ ship, but I just love it.
I like this view. Loving each relationship when it was happening. Buffy is a romantic girl and a sexual woman and to not enjoy either of those parts of her personality/identity is to miss part of what the show is about.

Antho

Scooby
We definitely need more people like you, people who love both ships !

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I tend to look at ships from the standpoint of what they do to the story. Bangel has a built-in end point: a moment of perfect happiness will cause Angelus to return, so anything beyond platonic will cause a disaster that both of them would be responsible for. The story really can't go beyond that. That said, there are some sweet moments between them but they are star-crossed lovers like Romeo and Juliet.

Spuffy is unquestionably messier but with problems that do not have an end-point. They can survive whatever they do to each other and a lot of the story (including an excessive amount in Season 7) is about how to make a relationship work that has gone off the rails in the past.

You can continue the Spuffy story but not the Bangel story.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
You can continue the Spuffy story but not the Bangel story.
Of course you can continue the Bangel story; just lose the curse. But then it would be as boring as Spuffy was when Spike got his soul.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I love Bangel loads and loads, and if the boards were not so polarised, I would probably say so more often.

As a Willow fan, it is not so much about Bangel vs Spuffy for me, it is just as much about early vs late season BtVS. I mean, I love the high school years, but many of the things I love the most belong to the later seasons - like Tara and Dawn.

Also, Spike is just my kind of people - if you subtract the violence and the nonchalant attitude to consent and privacy. I mean, he is an angsty emo who reads poetry and listen to the Sex Pistols. The writers gave me no choice. Never been that into tai chi and ballet.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
Yup! I love them quite a lot actually...in the time they were together on the show. It's later when I prefer Buffy with Spike, and why I consider myself a Spuffy because I would choose him as end game for her.

That being said, I loooovvvve the end scene in Angel, S1, I cry every time Buffy puts a sword through Angel's heart, and Angel showing up at prom is extremely special to me. I just don't think those moments mean that Buffy and Angel have to be forever. They had beautiful moments together......and now I want her to have more with Spike haha

Top Bottom