• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tips & Techniques for Photoshop/Paintshop Pro

Harley

Imported from Detroit
Sineya
Sometimes when I go to use "free transform" in PS, the edges of that particular image don't end up smooth (such as in this piece).

Does anyone know how to always make them smooth?

alexa

rip it up
Hmm I hardly ever use the free transform tool Kryptonite.. not sure. Because photoshop is bitmap based, you run the risk of dodgy edges, especially when stuff isn't 300 dpi. Basically what I do is use another program Illustrator for smooth lines, especially if they are diagonal (because Illustrator uses vecta.. not sure how to spell that). Which means all the lines in that program are smooth. Sorry that didn't help much.

Hard question Cordelia ;) You should generally jump in and have a go, see what buttons do. You can always use 'step backward' or undo. A few sites have detailed intructions. But to start of, get the pics you want; open them in photoshop, then to put them in a sig go to 'new' and make a new file the size you want your sig. Then you'll see how you can copy and paste stuff onto the new file. The tool bar on the left hand side has a lot of tools that help with this. Check out this link for people more patient then me who make tutorials :) . . d a y d r e a m i n g . . because UNreality is, like, my WHOLE life
PM me if you want some other links.

C
Cordelia Chase*
Woooo! Thank you thank you thank you!!

Spirit_Of_Fred

The Psycho
ok, this is really driving me crazy, so if anyone knows a possible way to fix it, id apprieciate an answer. im trying to colourise someone with orange hair to make the hair black, but the only way i know how either does nothing to it, makes it a brighter red, or makes it gray. this is in photoshop. can anyone help? :)

goldenboy

Scooby
im trying to colourise someone with orange hair to make the hair black, but the only way i know how either does nothing to it, makes it a brighter red, or makes it gray. this is in photoshop. can anyone help? :)
Hmm. I don't think I often use photoshop "correctly" lol. I don't know all the technical ins and outs, but...you've figured out a way to isolate just the hair? By using the magic wand tool or a clipping path or whatever?

Once the hair is selected, isolated, I'd personally just go to the top menu bar, then go to image, then adjustments, then hue/saturation. I'd bring the saturation way down so it's almost black/gray. And you can adjust the hue as well.

You can also fine tune it, adjust it by going to image/adjustments/variations. You can add more blue, cyan, yellow, make it lighter or darker, etc, etc.

S
Spirit_Of_Fred
thanks for the suggestion; ill give it a shot :)

alexa

rip it up
Also once you've selected it with the feather tool, if the changing colours/brightness etc isn't working too well. You can fill it with black, then fade it so it's not just flat.
So the 'marching ants' are around the hair, go to file > fill > a window will come up and you can pick to fill with black. Once this is done, go to file again, and click 'fade fill'.

S
Spirit_Of_Fred
thanks for responding; ill try this also :)

Harley

Imported from Detroit
Sineya
Along the same lines, how do you curve text around a picture? Like this?

Picture

And I have PS 7

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Also can someone lead me in the direction of a good site to get textures? I just want a simple site with a good list of textures that I can download for photoshop.

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Along the same lines, how do you curve text around a picture? Like this?

Picture

And I have PS 7

I have the earlier versioin to you, but here`s how I would do it in Photoshop 6.0 (this should be similar to your program :))

• Open a new, blank document
  • Using the type tool, type in your text as you usually would
  • Now, click your Palettes tab on the top right corner of the text toolbar (it will either say Palettes or it will look kind of like lines with bullets on them)
  • A small window should pop up. When it does, click on the small arrow in the top right corner of the window.
  • Make sure that Faux Bold and Faux Italic options are both UNCHECKED
  • Once you have unchecked them both, click on the Warp Text tool on the text toolbar (this button is right next to the one that you just clicked to get into Palettes) :)
  • Under Style, click the Arc option and adjust the bend until it is to the desired curve. Click Okay when you`re finished!
That should do it! Let me know if you have any issues :)

------

caitaintdead said:
Also can someone lead me in the direction of a good site to get textures? I just want a simple site with a good list of textures that I can download for photoshop.
Here is a few of my faves, hope this helps you out :thumbsup:

Impulsive: Version_________ Doomsday
...Shadow of the Day... version 15 : Supernatural season 4
http://www.hideous-beauty.com/reflect/menu.htm
walkingdowntown;
M O N G R E L M I N D S . . . it appears to be incongruous.
Original Textures | OVERDOSE
Unti My Dying Day // Peace's fanart site
C H O S E N A R T | VER 40 > SLAYERS AND HUNTERS
http://www.left-unspoken.net/crossingshadows/index1.html
left-unspoken.net
{this pain is just too real.... I.m.m.o.r.t.a.l. K.i.s.s }
Immortal Memories || Fanart and Wallpaper site by Monica
I am the tragedy... and the heroine... s h a t t e r e d - v12

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Thank you so much for those texture links! A little late thank you, but better late than never right?!

LittleMissLikesToFight

Into Every Generation...
Ok, trying to place text over a banner but its coming out ridiculously small, no matter whan font or size i choose. how do i fix this?
[br][/br]
Edit:
[br][/br]
Ok i figured it out, it was because the image was not a 72 pixels per inch. woops!

Sweetescape

Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet.
hey i having trouble re-sizing my images to fit on my banners. I've got some large screen caps and when i down size them they lose there quality any ideas on what i should do?

Sweetescape

Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet.
i'm havong problems when creating a banner, right i have the image and a white banner background, on the imgae i've added a contrast effect to make the image lighter, but when i try and get it on the banner i gt nothing! a new layer appears saying contrast with a copy of my white blank banner with no image. What am i doing wrong?

Fusions2

Stark Industries Employee
Sineya
i'm havong problems when creating a banner, right i have the image and a white banner background, on the imgae i've added a contrast effect to make the image lighter, but when i try and get it on the banner i gt nothing! a new layer appears saying contrast with a copy of my white blank banner with no image. What am i doing wrong?
Have you merged all the layers together by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shit+E? If you move it then it should all move together with what you want.

Not unless you've done that and thats the problem itself...

Does anyone know how to put a border around text? I'm using photoshop elements 7. I've looked around on the internet but whenever I find something it never seems to work.

I'm not sure if this has already been asked. I looked and couldn't find it but knowing me I missed it. If so then I'm really sorry!

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Does anyone know how to put a border around text? I'm using photoshop elements 7. I've looked around on the internet but whenever I find something it never seems to work.

I'm not sure if this has already been asked. I looked and couldn't find it but knowing me I missed it. If so then I'm really sorry!
I believe what you're looking for is the "Stroke" effect. I know in CS it falls under Layer>Layer Style>Stroke..., but I'm not sure if that's where it'll be in Elements.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Okay, I have just downloaded GIMP to use at work and I can't figure out where the fonts are?! I'm using the Text Tool, but it's not showing up any texts at all. Do I need to download texts to use or can I somehow import a basic set? Or can I somehow take the ones from word?

I thought it would be just like photoshop and therefore easy to use, but I'm having trouble getting my head around a few things!

Top Bottom