• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Underrated Spuffy

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Adding a few:

- basically all their interactions in All the Way : they're respectful and sweet and flirty with some nice UST. I espacially love at the end the way Buffy turns and almost follows Spike when he leaves. The longing there is just perfect. It's a blink and you'll miss it scene, and it's pretty brilliant.
- the way Buffy acts when she confronts him in School Hard. I don't know how self aware it was from SMG, but I feel a very confident, almost flirty chemistry between them from the get go.
- how well they know each other very early. See for example Lovers Walk in which Buffy immediately guesses that Spike has Willow and Xander locked in the factory (because she knows he really is that thick :p )

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
I think it's an accurate representation of a "**** buddy" gone wrong...sleeping with someone for physical pleasure and getting confused by the conflicting feelings that develop occurs more often than people think.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
I think it's an accurate representation of a "**** buddy" gone wrong...sleeping with someone for physical pleasure and getting confused by the conflicting feelings that develop occurs more often than people think.
Do you think that's an underrated moment or aspect of Spuffy though?

Please keep in mind that this is the ship appreciation forum, which is meant to be ship positive. :)

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Oh, yeah. I have an answer for this one. The interaction they share in "Hell's Belles" at Xander and Anya's wedding reception.

For those who can't recall this scene, it happens later in the episode. Buffy finds Spike alone at Anya and Xander's wedding reception, and the two talk about the wedding. Spike attempts to make Buffy jealous with his date. He asks her if it "hurts" and she says it does a "little. Spike realizes it's best to just leave and takes his date away.

He comments on how she looks happy and "glows" and the bridesmaid dress looks good on her, even though it's ugly and they both know it. Buffy loves the compliment, and her smile is totally genuine.

It's a sweet and sad moment, and confirms me to me they deeply care for each other, but Spike respects why Buffy told him she can't see him anymore.

She wants him but knows it's not good for her.

Cheese Slices
Cheese Slices
Amazing choice !

Priceless

Scooby
I think there is a sweetness in S7 that's underrated, mainly because S7 is underrated :) The way Buffy tends to Spike when his chip misfires, or how she runs to him before checking on Xander or Robin in First Date. I also love that moment when they explain to Giles why Buffy decided to have the chip removed, they finish each others thoughts. It's pretty cute.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I think there is a sweetness in S7 that's underrated, mainly because S7 is underrated :) The way Buffy tends to Spike when his chip misfires, or how she runs to him before checking on Xander or Robin in First Date. I also love that moment when they explain to Giles why Buffy decided to have the chip removed, they finish each others thoughts. It's pretty cute.
Thinking of S7, I immediately go to that moment during Potential when she's straddling him and then immediately becomes concerned and puts her hand under his shirt, totally forgetting the audience of impressionable young girls surrounding them :D

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Or when she says that Spike's crypt was comfy lol

TriBel

Scooby
Thinking of S7, I immediately go to that moment during Potential when she's straddling him and then immediately becomes concerned and puts her hand under his shirt, totally forgetting the audience of impressionable young girls surrounding them :D
It could be me who's getting old but I think that's one of the most erotic scenes in the whole series! ;)

Priceless

Scooby
Oh god, yes, that is so . . . sweet? sexy? She forgets everything else and is completely focused on Spike. Of course he knows they can't go back to the way they were and he doesn't deserve her tenderness.

Last edited:

TriBel

Scooby
Yay! This is BACK STEPS isn't it!! :D

See - here's some shite I wrote before I got carried away with Lucifer!

“Your breed is fragile. How is they came to control this world?” The God-King Illyria asks in Angel. “Opposable thumbs. Fire. Television”, Knox replies ("Shells"). Flesh catches the eye: first his fingers, then the back of his hand. Where it’s not in shadow, his hand is pale, almost the colour of marble. The grip is tight: tendons, blood vessels and bone protrude under the skin. Surrounded by funerary, It has the potential to be uncanny: it could be the hand of a well-sculpted statue or a corpse. However, beneath we catch a glimpse of his bare torso: warmer, softer and textured, more inviting – this is not the hand of a dead man. His hand encloses hers – except for her thumb. While he has control, she could wrest it back. The light catches the nail as it would a knife blade. It glows pale gold (a similar colour to his torso). “Glowing” is a term Spike uses on several occasions to refer to Cecily, his mother and Buffy and it figures barred sexual attraction – a taboo to be sublimated or displaced. After a brief pause there is movement; purposeful and non-aggressive; smooth, deft, firm and elegant as he gently brings both their hands down to cover himself. It is, perhaps, one of the most wholly erotic moments of season 7 and its significance is not lost on the potentials. As Rona says, “That’s hot’.

Say what you want about Rona - I completely agree with her!

Priceless

Scooby
Yay! This is BACK STEPS isn't it!! :D

See - here's some shite I wrote before I got carried away with Lucifer!

“Your breed is fragile. How is they came to control this world?” The God-King Illyria asks in Angel. “Opposable thumbs. Fire. Television”, Knox replies ("Shells"). Flesh catches the eye: first his fingers, then the back of his hand. Where it’s not in shadow, his hand is pale, almost the colour of marble. The grip is tight: tendons, blood vessels and bone protrude under the skin. Surrounded by funerary, It has the potential to be uncanny: it could be the hand of a well-sculpted statue or a corpse. However, beneath we catch a glimpse of his bare torso: warmer, softer and textured, more inviting – this is not the hand of a dead man. His hand encloses hers – except for her thumb. While he has control, she could wrest it back. The light catches the nail as it would a knife blade. It glows pale gold (a similar colour to his torso). “Glowing” is a term Spike uses on several occasions to refer to Cecily, his mother and Buffy and it figures barred sexual attraction – a taboo to be sublimated or displaced. After a brief pause there is movement; purposeful and non-aggressive; smooth, deft, firm and elegant as he gently brings both their hands down to cover himself. It is, perhaps, one of the most wholly erotic moments of season 7 and its significance is not lost on the potentials. As Rona says, “That’s hot’.

Say what you want about Rona - I completely agree with her!
Wow TriBel, that description is as erotic as the scene. Does Buffy actually touch his stomach, or does he grab her hand before she touches him? I like to think he does, because he cannot bear for her to touch him, it'd be too much for him.

I also love, in Chosen, when they are lying on Spike's cot, he's asleep and Buffy keeps sweeping her thumb over his hand. She strokes his hand several times in other episodes too I think.

katmobile

Scooby
Do you think this is why season seven is under rated though that some people are just set against Spuffy and not want to or just in some cases just can't see past the toxic mess of season six for a variety of reasons, some possibly valid, I certainly think it's a factor.

Priceless

Scooby
Do you think this is why season seven is under rated though that some people are just set against Spuffy and not want to or just in some cases just can't see past the toxic mess of season six for a variety of reasons, some possibly valid, I certainly think it's a factor.
Yes, definitely a factor. Some people will never get over the attempted rape, and that's absolutely valid, but it does tend to make them hate S7 as they don't believe Spike can be redeemed.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Speaking of Potential, I also really love the fact that Buffy seems to recall her time with Spike in S6 somewhat fondly. I think in hindsight, they're both able to look at the good and the bad equally, there's a peaceful quality to it, I like it.
Also their playing Mum and Dad to the potentials :)
I think people have legitimate criticism of S7, but I wish they realised that a lot of S7's faults can be found in earlier seasons as well. And there's definitely a feeling that some people don't like what happens but blame the execution instead.

katmobile

Scooby
The Still Pretty review for First Date points to their sweet conversation there about Spike managing his expectations and Buffy literally thanking him for it also that although he obviously still has feelings for her he's willing to let her be happy in her own way even if it's without. Also the conversation at the end where he offers to leave and she says she's not ready for him not to be around.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
One scene that isn't much discussed is the one right at the end of Wrecked : they spend the episode being defensive and lashing out, but the second Dawn is in danger, they are on : it's this continuous thing of them working so well together, and I especially love that naturally Spike goes to take care of Dawn and Buffy goes to fight the demon. And they care for Dawn together...I just love their little family unit in S5-S6.

Priceless

Scooby
I'm listening to a podcast and it's reminded me of the scene in Lies My Parents Told Me when Spike vamps out and throws the cot across the room and it hits Dawn. Instead of going to Dawn, Buffy stays in the basement with Spike. Buffy loves Dawn more than anyone but she stays with Spike, even though he's calmed down and is no longer a threat. Buffy loves him, it shows in those moments, when he is her only focus.

TriBel

Scooby
I'm listening to a podcast and it's reminded me of the scene in Lies My Parents Told Me when Spike vamps out and throws the cot across the room and it hits Dawn. Instead of going to Dawn, Buffy stays in the basement with Spike. Buffy loves Dawn more than anyone but she stays with Spike, even though he's calmed down and is no longer a threat. Buffy loves him, it shows in those moments, when he is her only focus.
There's the graveyard scene in Potential when she unconsciously indicates concern for his welfare in the graveyard then tries to talk herself out of an attraction. Then there's the scene in The Killer in Me where she doesn't notice he's on the floor in pain despite him calling her. This is followed by the scene in First Date when she goes to check on him before she checks on Xander (but is flustered by Wood's gaze) then there's the scene you describe when she doesn't care who knows. It shows the gradual change in her feelings for him.

Top Bottom