• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Who do you prefer: Willow, Tara, or Fred?

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
Rewatching Angel, I'm kind of surprised at how little I enjoy Fred. I used to like her, but she's sort of a one-note character - the sweet, brave, quirky little toaster who could. Amy Acker does a really good job, but Fred is lacking in depth. After she's integrated back into normal society there are very few episodes where she shows any real depth. Once she hooked up with Gunn, she sort of became an accessory, and eventually she sort of becomes an objectification of innocence and goodness.

Willow has a lot more depth - she can be a selfish bitca, or a great friend. Her growth is organic - the qualities that define her are rooted back when she first appears. Granted, she does have a lot more time on the show, but AH also has a knack for taking the small bits and running with them. Willow starts as a bit of a cliche, but she grows.

I really love Tara - she's the person i would most love to have over, to hang out with. I also think Amber Benson is amazing. That said, while there are scenes where she's pretty amazing and shows a surprising amount of depth, overall she's sort of an adjunct for Willow.

Tara is one of the characters that Joss really wasted - like Anya, she really could have been so much more.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
Willow. I liked her from the get go. It took me time to warm up to the other two.
Just when I started really liking Fred, they killed her. When I really started liking Tara they offed her too.

However, we DID get Illyria who is cool.

But def Willow all the way. She's also the funnest to watch. Allison has an amazingly expressive face.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I really love Tara - she's the person i would most love to have over, to hang out with. I also think Amber Benson is amazing. That said, while there are scenes where she's pretty amazing and shows a surprising amount of depth, overall she's sort of an adjunct for Willow.

Tara is one of the characters that Joss really wasted - like Anya, she really could have been so much more.

I was reading Amber's blog recently. The way she talks is pretty much very Buffy-speak, making up words as she goes along and seems to be really funny. She definitely seems like a really awesome person to chill with.

I agree though. The only real episode (in my opinion) that she has any depth in is Family. Where it really starts to make sense of why she's really shy- I mean, look at her redneck brother and just douchey family. I would of loved to of seen more scenes with Dawn. Dawn seemed to be really close to Tara, I would of loved to have seen how close their friendship was. Especially when Buffy died.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I was reading Amber's blog recently. The way she talks is pretty much very Buffy-speak, making up words as she goes along and seems to be really funny. She definitely seems like a really awesome person to chill with.

I agree though. The only real episode (in my opinion) that she has any depth in is Family. Where it really starts to make sense of why she's really shy- I mean, look at her redneck brother and just douchey family. I would of loved to of seen more scenes with Dawn. Dawn seemed to be really close to Tara, I would of loved to have seen how close their friendship was. Especially when Buffy died.

Not sure about that. I think she makes big strides in S6. I liked how she was there for Buffy and didn't judge her over the whole affair with Spike, and Older and Far Away is a big episode for her too. I even think in season five we start to see progress. I think like Dawn the character was just a bit underwritten and had a slow start to life on the show.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
That is true. I was more meaning that it was the only episode that really focused on her. I do agree that she did have a lot of developments throughout the series and you got insight that she was more than just Willow's girlfriend but I reckon that they never focused on that enough.

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
Tara was nice but she only really started to get depth after she broke up with Willow -- seriously, more than half the conversations she has with the other characters before Season 6 involve Willow in some way or another.

Amy Acker did a good job as Fred, but again, not much depth in the character. Had the Fred/Illyria thing gone as planned, with Amy switching back and forth between the two personalities... it would have been too cool for words.

Willow was the only one of the three with a lot of depth and a great performance from Alyson Hannigan (plus, I just love the character), so it's Darth Rosenberg for me.

Haven't seen much of AH in real life but Amber and Amy seem like a genuine joy to be around. :D

Mr Trick

Scooby
Tara was nice but she only really started to get depth after she broke up with Willow -- seriously, more than half the conversations she has with the other characters before Season 6 involve Willow in some way or another.

Amy Acker did a good job as Fred, but again, not much depth in the character. Had the Fred/Illyria thing gone as planned, with Amy switching back and forth between the two personalities... it would have been too cool for words.

Willow was the only one of the three with a lot of depth and a great performance from Alyson Hannigan (plus, I just love the character), so it's Darth Rosenberg for me.

Haven't seen much of AH in real life but Amber and Amy seem like a genuine joy to be around. :D

Really? I think there's a fair a bit of depth and range to Fred's character. When you see how she was introduced compared to Fred of season 3, then the stuff of S5 and Illyria I think there is plenty going on with the character. Of course its possible that it maybe Acker bringing that out more than it actually being there, but I do like the character more than many on here.

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
Really? I think there's a fair a bit of depth and range to Fred's character. When you see how she was introduced compared to Fred of season 3, then the stuff of S5 and Illyria I think there is plenty going on with the character. Of course its possible that it maybe Acker bringing that out more than it actually being there, but I do like the character more than many on here.

That's just it. After she got reintegrated in early Season 3, she was just kinda there to be Gunn's love interest and to say something cute every now and again. I like Fred but they didn't play the character to her full potential. If they had shown her step up without Gunn more often (like they did in The Magic Bullet) I would've enjoyed her development more.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Tara had a few interesting moments in season 6 where she seems like a developed person with more than one level, but that was it. Most of the time her presence could be replaced with a cute puppy or something and I wouldn't notice any differenceo_O. To me, Fred always seemed like a real person--an adorable sweet one, but one who has layers and doesn't remain always the same. She was more vital and useful than Tara ever was. Willow was of course the most developed and the most interesting with the best arc.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I would argue that Tara was useful in the beginning- with having more magic knowledge than Willow, but then Willow overtook her in such a short amount of time that Tara wasn't as useful anymore...

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Fred. I prefer AtS to Buffy so it's an easy choice for me. I'm not a Willow fan, and as much as I respect Amber Benson IRL, the Tara character wasn't for me.

At least Fred was the catalyst to some of my favourite Wesley moments, and even some of my favourite moments of the series. Acker is also a superb actress. She absolutely made season 5 for me along with Denisof.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I also wish Fred/Willow had happened instead of Willow/Tara. Fred would have brought her back to her adorable, nerdy, smart, researchy, spazzy, awkward mode. Ugh that would be so perfect! They had instant chemistry and their geeking out in Orpheus was amazing, and season 7 Willow seemed more like herself than she had since season 3. Tara made her more magic obsessed (because they practiced together), harsh (to balance Tara out) and a little...sedateo_O perhaps so she wouldn't scare Tara away. I just didn't quite love Willow as much later on and I attribute much of that to Tara, but I guess character development haha.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I would argue that Tara was useful in the beginning- with having more magic knowledge than Willow, but then Willow overtook her in such a short amount of time that Tara wasn't as useful anymore...

I think a key character thing with Tara is that she was more at ease with having magic which she could use if NEEDED, but that it didn't consume her like it did Willow. The important thing Willow gave Tara was confidence and a new set of friends, whereas Tara gave Willow support, and wishdom.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Tara gave Willow support
I personally believe that Tara was not very supportive of Willow at all and was always trying to undermine her, sometimes for understandable reasons, and sometimes not. I think Tara received a lot of support from Willow, whereas Willow received more support from her other partners.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I personally believe that Tara was not very supportive of Willow at all and was always trying to undermine her, sometimes for understandable reasons, and sometimes not. I think Tara received a lot of support from Willow, whereas Willow received more support from her other partners.

Well I beg to differ on that one. I mean I think Tara handled Willow's obsession with magic very well. She was sensitive, but firm, and did give her enough of a warning before leaving. Willow was supportive to Tara too, they were good for each other, but in different ways.

And BTW I like where the show took Willow and the addiction storyline, it was a brave thing to do with that character, and readdressed that issue of Buffy being the central of the show and Willow feeling undervalued.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Well I beg to differ on that one. I mean I think Tara handled Willow's obsession with magic very well. She was sensitive, but firm, and did give her enough of a warning before leaving. Willow was supportive to Tara too, they were good for each other, but in different ways.

And BTW I like where the show took Willow and the addiction storyline, it was a brave thing to do with that character, and readdressed that issue of Buffy being the central of the show and Willow feeling undervalued.
Yes, Tara handled the addiction pretty well (although I still think she could have tried to check on Willow and help her a bit more. I'm convinced Oz and Kennedy would.) but I respect that Tara has boundaries and can stick up for herself. The problems are more in seasons 4 and 5 for me. Every time Willow does something it's wrong. Every opinion she has on magic, on how to treat Dawn. Tara whines about Willow not including her, and then when Willow tries to invite her out in Family she snaps at her (outside circumstances affecting her mood, I do understand). When Willow tries to be supportive about Spuffy in Intervention, Tara makes a rude remark and then when Tara is told by Buffy in season 6 she is the kind supportive one (to Buffy's face). She shoots down Willow when she brings up a possibility of bringing Joyce back, then goes along with bringing Buffy back, then when the sh#t hits the fan afterwards lets all the blame fall on Willow. Sorry but I just don't think it was a good relationship, and I certainly don't think it was all Willow's fault. Oz and Kennedy had a way of correcting Willow without acting like Willow wasn't fit to be with them.

:)And I do love the addiction arc

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I believed that Tara and Willow supported each other well.
As far as that scene in Family goes, I think that Tara was scared and tried to push Willow away but at the same time wanted Willow to ask what was wrong and overly wasn't coping with the thought of being taken away. I read that scene as being quite complex.

There was one scene with Oz where he was quite against Willow performing more powerful spells. So I don't know how he would of gone with Willow's magic addiction if he was so against her using magic to begin with so early on.

Tara knew that bringing back Joyce is against nature. Keeping in mind that she had lost her own mother a few years ago. Bringing back Buffy was different- they believed Buffy was in Hell. I do think that Tara was reluctant about it and going against her own beliefs. Plus she was already getting afraid in season five that Willow was going down the bad road of being addicted.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I still think Tara was Willow's least supportive partner and actually derailed her maturity. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree;).
And no I definitely don't think Oz would have been ok with the magic addiction haha.

Top Bottom