• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you love Spuffy?

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
For all the Spuffy fans why do you love them?
Boy, can I answer this question.

Spike has seen Buffy at her worst, crying and beating him in a dark alley, in all her rage and fear and self-hatred, crying and screaming that he’s “nothing” and how she could never be his girl.

Buffy has seen Spike at his worst - crying, kneeling, begging at her feet for her love, “her willing slave”, un-self-consciously giving his whole self to her, exposing his very heart - only for her to stomp on and hurt time and time again.

And yet…incredibly, these two still find a way to bridge the gulf between them, and come to a place of true mutual respect, friendship, and dare I say it? - love. These two were, are, so, so, so in love. It is astounding to me that fans claim otherwise. I would never try to talk anyone out of their chosen ‘ship. But there is a difference between preference and denial. Spike still loves Buffy. He told her so. Buffy's silence proves nothing but her actions say everything. I know she loves him. She always has.

Standing side by side, Spike and Buffy can do anything. They are partners. There is no agenda here, no ulterior motive. They are an extension of each other. They are equals in each other’s eyes. Their connection is internal, un-changing, unbreakable. He is perfect for her. She is perfect for him. They fit together. They are perfect partners-lovers-friends-lovers. There is that spark between them. It’s beyond love- it’s camaraderie, an understanding that they’ve lived a lifetime together and still have a lifetime to share.

It is full-circle.

And that is why I love Spuffy.

Last edited:
Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Damn. That was impressive
GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
More than impressive

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya

I will start with this...because, as usual, someone said it better than me:

Author Rainbow Rowell discusses why Spuffy is one of the most satisfying love stories ever:

But why do I personally love Spuffy? Here's a "manifesto" I wrote a while back, and still applies:
Wow!!!
Beautifully written and amazingly well said.
Spuffy fans are lucky to have someone so devoted as you and all of us are.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya

Spike has seen Buffy at her worst, crying and beating him in a dark alley, in all her rage and fear and self-hatred, crying and screaming that he’s “nothing” and how she could never be his girl.

Buffy has seen Spike at his worst - crying, kneeling, begging at her feet for her love, “her willing slave”, un-self-consciously giving his whole self to her, exposing his very heart - only for her to stomp on and hurt time and time again.

And yet…incredibly, these two still find a way to bridge the gulf between them, and come to a place of true mutual respect, friendship, and dare I say it? - love. These two were, are, so, so, so in love. It is astounding to me that fans claim otherwise. I would never try to talk anyone out of their chosen ‘ship. But there is a difference between preference and denial. Spike still loves Buffy. He told her so. Buffy's silence proves nothing but her actions say everything. I know she loves him. She always has.

Standing side by side, Spike and Buffy can do anything. They are partners. There is no agenda here, no ulterior motive. They are an extension of each other. They are equals in each other’s eyes. Their connection is internal, un-changing, unbreakable. He is perfect for her. She is perfect for him. They fit together. They are perfect partners-lovers-friends-lovers. There is that spark between them. It’s beyond love- it’s camaraderie, an understanding that they’ve lived a lifetime together and still have a lifetime to share.

It is full-circle.

And that is why I love Spuffy.
That manifesto was fantastic. I just gave karma that I now cannot undo but it was directed at the previously written essay.

Spuffy freak

Potential
I really hope Buffy is going to say ILY and Spike is going to believe her in the last issue of S11. The Bangel-fans seem to think it's inevitable and I wish I was so certain. I still have that little bit of doubt :( But I will be incredibly happy if (when) it happens :D
I also have doubts sometimes about her saying it I know she loves him but when is she going to say it. The creators are killing us. Is not the wait already too long about 14 years since she last said it? its just 5-6 months for me but it still feels the same :(

Priceless

Scooby
I also have doubts sometimes about her saying it I know she loves him but when is she going to say it. The creators are killing us. Is not the wait already too long about 14 years since she last said it? its just 5-6 months for me but it still feels the same :(
I have no doubt that Buffy loves Spike, everything she's done in S11 proves that beyond a doubt. But having her say those words and Spike believing them, just makes it authentic. The writers really are killing us :) If it doesn't happen at the end of this season I'm not convinced it will ever happen. This is the perfect time, they are such a happpy loving couple. I just really hope they're not leaving the door open for Angel to swoop back in :mad: He's turn Buffy back into that emotional, constantly crying 17 year old, begging him to notice her all the time. Why'd she want that? I wouldn't want that lol :D

Spuffy freak

Potential
I have no doubt that Buffy loves Spike, everything she's done in S11 proves that beyond a doubt. But having her say those words and Spike believing them, just makes it authentic. The writers really are killing us :) If it doesn't happen at the end of this season I'm not convinced it will ever happen. This is the perfect time, they are such a happpy loving couple. I just really hope they're not leaving the door open for Angel to swoop back in :mad: He's turn Buffy back into that emotional, constantly crying 17 year old, begging him to notice her all the time. Why'd she want that? I wouldn't want that lol :D
Is not it too late for Angel already? Writers have ruined it for him in s08 to swoop back in like who is he gonna kill now, Dawn? they can't make it any worse for him by the ILY so I don't think it's about Angel at all it might be about not giving Buffy that perfect happy moment before the actual ending of the series if the series is ever going to end with a happy ending. If this is the last season or a long break is coming after this season as s12 is not announced yet then the ILY is inevitable for the last issue but if it's not the last season or a long break then we will have to keep waiting

Priceless

Scooby
It's been obvious Buffy has loved Spike since S7 IMO. s12 has not been announced so maybe this is the end or stop for a break. If that's the case I will forgive them for making me wait because that's a hell of an ending. It would be poetic like how Buffy's last word in S7 was Spike.
That would be a wonderful ending, althought I hope there is a S12 because there is so much more of their story I want to see. I also want to know how Dawn and Xander work out, if Giles ever grows up, if Willow does become a Higher Power, which she so should . . . I want to see what happens next :)

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
That would be a wonderful ending, althought I hope there is a S12 because there is so much more of their story I want to see. I also want to know how Dawn and Xander work out, if Giles ever grows up, if Willow does become a Higher Power, which she so should . . . I want to see what happens next :)
You realize that last sentence of yours matches what spike said just before he burned up at the end of Season 7.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
If Spike dies AGAIN I will be so pissed off

zoe

Townie
I love Spuffy for all the reasons that have already mentioned and for me is also ´cause what they make me feel, it´s like Shadow Preacher´s song " You make we wanna love, hate, cry...", with Spuffy this is what happen to me, i can see a sweet scene between them like Hell´s bells and my heart melt, and the same time they can have a hot/fun scene, and yes sometimes bittersweet moments, so it´s about all the emotions that they can transmit, and that other ships for me just don´t

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I love Spuffy for all the reasons that have already mentioned and for me is also ´cause what they make me feel, it´s like Shadow Preacher´s song " You make we wanna love, hate, cry...", with Spuffy this is what happen to me, i can see a sweet scene between them like Hell´s bells and my heart melt, and the same time they can have a hot/fun scene, and yes sometimes bittersweet moments, so it´s about all the emotions that they can transmit, and that other ships for me just don´t
Spuffy is an incredible ship!!
They hurt each other because they love each other. Their actions hurt them because they care so deeply about one another!

Priceless

Scooby
Another reason btw that I adore Spuffy is the I LOVE YOU that we recently got!
It was such a great moment !
They truly love each other!
And we've waited sooooo long :D I'm still on a high about it lol. They have worked to overcome their issues and they fully trust each other. I love that the ILY was low key, not some big melodramatic moment, just sweet and gentle and accepted.

Stoney
Stoney
The lack of drama to the moment, that it was so natural and accepted, was exactly what I'd hoped for. :)

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
And we've waited sooooo long :D I'm still on a high about it lol. They have worked to overcome their issues and they fully trust each other. I love that the ILY was low key, not some big melodramatic moment, just sweet and gentle and accepted.
I don't read the comics, but I read that last page and I agree completely. I've heard a lot of the Bangelites in another thread talking about how it was super lame that it was just an off-the-cuff remark at the end, and I realized; they don't get it. They're so used to the melodrama of Bangel. I love that the long-awaited ILY wasn't made out to be such a big deal, because it fits perfectly with their relationship and everything they've been through.

Priceless
Priceless
Yes!!!

Spuffy freak

Potential
I love that about Spuffy graph. No repetitions. If season 6 was full of physical attraction then season 7 was full of emotional bonding, we did not even get a kiss in season 7 because it was all about how their feelings are not only that of 'lust'. Same goes for the two ILYs, complete contrast to each other. In chosen Buffy might not be ready but she knew this is the only chance so she had to say it but there was no pressure now and she said it cuz she really wanted to say it and there is no "have to" there for her. We all know now why Buffy was so afraid to say and might be in love since season 6

Priceless

Scooby
I don't read the comics, but I read that last page and I agree completely. I've heard a lot of the Bangelites in another thread talking about how it was super lame that it was just an off-the-cuff remark at the end, and I realized; they don't get it. They're so used to the melodrama of Bangel. I love that the long-awaited ILY wasn't made out to be such a big deal, because it fits perfectly with their relationship and everything they've been through.
Exactly! Bangel was teen melodrama, but this between Buffy and Spike is adult love. Two people secure in their relationship, able to say the words without all the drama. It shows how Spike has grown and changed, he no longer believes what he says in Seeing Red:

SPIKE: (laughing) Trust is for old marrieds, Buffy. (Buffy rolling her eyes) Great love is wild ... and passionate and dangerous. It burns and consumes.
BUFFY: Until there's nothing left. Love like that doesn't last.

He finally understands that Buffy was right, and for their love to last it has to be about trust.

Puppet
Puppet
[No message]

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Exactly! Bangel was teen melodrama, but this between Buffy and Spike is adult love. Two people secure in their relationship, able to say the words without all the drama. It shows how Spike has grown and changed, he no longer believes what he says in Seeing Red:

SPIKE: (laughing) Trust is for old marrieds, Buffy. (Buffy rolling her eyes) Great love is wild ... and passionate and dangerous. It burns and consumes.
BUFFY: Until there's nothing left. Love like that doesn't last.

He finally understands that Buffy was right, and for their love to last it has to be about trust.
I don't care what anyone says Buffy truly loved Spike and she would choose Spike over Angel any day.
Bangel is beyond over and Spuffy is now.
Bangel was a teen high school romance while Spuffy was a mature and forever romance.
Spike could love Buffy without a soul.
Angel could not!

Spuffy freak

Potential
I don't care what anyone says Buffy truly loved Spike and she would choose Spike over Angel any day.
Bangel is beyond over and Spuffy is now.
Bangel was a teen high school romance while Spuffy was a mature and forever romance.
Spike could love Buffy without a soul.
Angel could not!
I am not really comfortable with the idea of choosing one person over another, it should never come to this. I hate love triangles and Spike-Buffy-Angel was never a triangle and I want it to be same way Angel on his merry way and Spuffy as end-game. That I am sure now they are even if they have some on-off thing in the future they are always gonna end up together.

Top Bottom