• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you love Spuffy?

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I am not really comfortable with the idea of choosing one person over another, it should never come to this. I hate love triangles and Spike-Buffy-Angel was never a triangle and I want it to be same way Angel on his merry way and Spuffy as end-game. That I am sure now they are even if they have some on-off thing in the future they are always gonna end up together.
Yeah I think it's clear the triangle is over in the story but between the fans it'll probably be alive forever.
Spuffy is interesting because it's so dynamic.

Priceless

Scooby
I am not really comfortable with the idea of choosing one person over another, it should never come to this. I hate love triangles and Spike-Buffy-Angel was never a triangle and I want it to be same way Angel on his merry way and Spuffy as end-game. That I am sure now they are even if they have some on-off thing in the future they are always gonna end up together.
Angel walked away at the end of S3, he made that decision, so he was out of the picture before Spuffy even started. I don't think there is a love-triangle for the characters. Only perhaps for the fans :D There has never been a chance of Angel and Buffy getting back together, ever, so I don't really understand why anyone thinks it could possibly happen.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Angel walked away at the end of S3, he made that decision, so he was out of the picture before Spuffy even started. I don't think there is a love-triangle for the characters. Only perhaps for the fans :D There has never been a chance of Angel and Buffy getting back together, ever, so I don't really understand why anyone thinks it could possibly happen.
It's clear by the Angel comics& series & Buffy comics & post S3 that Bangel has closed the chapter. They were good for awhile but it's a part of history

Spuffy freak

Potential

I love what Lani Diane Rich had to say about Spuffy in this review. It says so much I'm just not eloquent enough to say
Thank you sooo much for this, I absolutely agree with every word on this review. Spuffy was more than Love or a Love story we don't still have a word for this. Spike was what Buffy needed and same can be said for Spike, I believe Spike has a super power of loving someone more than anyone ever can, he could not give up on his ability to love even after losing his soul. He deserved to love someone who deserves to be loved in such special way

Priceless
Priceless
Really well said Spuffy freak, agree so much :-)

Priceless

Scooby
I should have said that the Spuffy comments come at about 9 mins, but I love Lani Diane Rich's reviews so much I don't mind hearing them all. I don't agree with everything she says, but she is such a good communicator and is so reasonable and thoughtful she's always a good listen imo :)

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I should have said that the Spuffy comments come at about 9 mins, but I love Lani Diane Rich's reviews so much I don't mind hearing them all. I don't agree with everything she says, but she is such a good communicator and is so reasonable and thoughtful she's always a good listen imo :)
I actually just got around to watching the full video before I fast forwarded to the Spuffy parts!
& I actually really like it!

Priceless
Priceless
She's really good, I enjoy her reviews a lot

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I love how Buffy is the boss in spuffy. Angel seems to be the boss in Bangel. Maybe that's because of how young she was when they dated. I love Spike following Buffy around asking to chat things out. Buffy is definitely in charge girl and I like that. She's the slayer and I want her to be the driver of the relationship.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Spuffy is a story that keeps evolving which means there is always plenty of material there to drive the plot forward. It also addresses things that go both right and wrong in a manner representative of normal adult relationships. Spike shows a great deal of growth and his finale in "Chosen" is certainly not something you could see coming back in Season 2. Spike never gives up on getting what he wants and his story is the story of his stubbornness in the face of opposition and adversity, including danger that finally materializes and turns him into a ghost in "Chosen". Every other couple runs into a dead end but this one just keeps chugging along.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Spuffy is a story that keeps evolving which means there is always plenty of material there to drive the plot forward. It also addresses things that go both right and wrong in a manner representative of normal adult relationships. Spike shows a great deal of growth and his finale in "Chosen" is certainly not something you could see coming back in Season 2. Spike never gives up on getting what he wants and his story is the story of his stubbornness in the face of opposition and adversity, including danger that finally materializes and turns him into a ghost in "Chosen". Every other couple runs into a dead end but this one just keeps chugging along.
I just saw this but beautifully said. Spuffy had never once been stale. They have many possibilities that keep them fun and interesting. A dynamic that is not matched by any other Buffyverse couple.

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
OK I had to share this because I think it makes so much sense for why I love Spuffy/ why anyone would be entranced by Spuffy, and why their love is so uniquely captivating and powerful.

The Spike and Buffy journey classically follows the model of the Seven Stages of Love described in Sufi poetry. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before because I actually taught this briefly in a film class at NYU when I was a TA. It completely mirrors Spuffy, from when Spike first sees Buffy in S2 to his sacrifice in S7, consumed in fire for the sake of his love.

In the classic Sufi tradition, love follows seven stages: Hub (attraction/ first sighting of the love object), Uns (Infatuation), Ishq (Love), Aqeedat (Reverence), Ibaadat (Worship), Junoon (Obsession), Maut (Death). Love is literally described by Ghalib as "an uncontrollable fire that is difficult to ignite and impossible to quench". This echoes Spike's words: "Great love is wild and passionate and dangerous, it burns and consumes." which is a far more profound statement than it seems and he really means it.

Here's a link that explains the seven stages, and there's a video in the link where a song and dance sequence enacts the seven stages from attraction to love, reverence, frenzied obsession, fire and peaceful death (the song lyrics [Satrangi Re] explain this beautifully too - but aren't in English here.) If you read the description of each stage, you really start to see the uncanny resemblance to Spuffy.

Here's the link:
Kaal - Chiron...: Seven Stages of Love

Oh, and I just absolutely have to share this as well. It's the most stunningly beautiful analysis of Spike and Buffy's S7 'closure' ("No you don't, but thanks for sayin' it") from Chosen:

Chosen

Last edited:
W
WillowFromBuffy
The torch I bear is scorching me.
debbicles
debbicles
Sunny - yesterday my life was filled with rain!!! What a lovely explanation of the relationship. Thank you so much

Meliza

Scooby
OK I had to share this because I think it makes so much sense for why I love Spuffy/ why anyone would be entranced by Spuffy, and why their love is so uniquely captivating and powerful.

The Spike and Buffy journey classically follows the model of the Seven Stages of Love described in Sufi poetry. It completely mirrors Spuffy, from when Spike first sees Buffy in S2 to his sacrifice in S7, consumed in fire for the sake of his love.
Thanks for sharing, I would not take this on as personal philosophy for obvious reasons haha but it is beautiful, the figurative can be truer then what is true which is the pleasure and purpose of literature.

Litheran

Rebel without a pulse
I was around the same age as the Scooby gang while watching Buffy. I had a chip on my shoulder going into high school and felt like I had to prove myself. The more that Spikes character developed the more I found I had in common with him. That swagger while secretly believing you'll never be good enough and longing for someone you don't think you deserve. The notion that a bad man can change and become worthy of a good woman's love appealed to me very much back then.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I was around the same age as the Scooby gang while watching Buffy. I had a chip on my shoulder going into high school and felt like I had to prove myself. The more that Spikes character developed the more I found I had in common with him. That swagger while secretly believing you'll never be good enough and longing for someone you don't think you deserve. The notion that a bad man can change and become worthy of a good woman's love appealed to me very much back then.
Agreed. Spike is all of these things which is why he's such an interesting character!

Top Bottom