• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Why do you love Spuffy?

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I was around the same age as the Scooby gang while watching Buffy. I had a chip on my shoulder going into high school and felt like I had to prove myself. The more that Spikes character developed the more I found I had in common with him. That swagger while secretly believing you'll never be good enough and longing for someone you don't think you deserve. The notion that a bad man can change and become worthy of a good woman's love appealed to me very much back then.
I love it. I love Spike’s character development. One of the best in the series. The bad boy changed good boy was amazing

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Better late than never. Here's my answer for this awesome thread:

I like both Bangel and Spuffy quite a lot. But, I think that I’ll always see them as two different fairytales, I just like much more the Spuffy one.

Bangel is the first love, the romantic idea of falling in love with someone who is older, protective, tender, mysterious, handsome, a warrior of justice, etc. It’s sweet and painful because there are huge obstacles, but they love each other despite that. It’s the type of love that you wish to find when you’re a teenager. Innocent, magical and intense.

Spuffy is a different fairytale. It’s the story of the bad-boy turned good for the love of the woman. But it’s also the story of our heroine growing-up to the point where she can accept, value and truly treasure his love. It’s a story of heartbreak and redemption. It’s messy, complicated, passionate and sexual. It is the story of our antihero falling our hero and winning her heart, while at the same time he slowly becomes the champion of the story. Their journey is far from smooth because of their personalities, their personal history and the circumstances. However, at the end, it is about two strong-headed people realizing that they have developed a deep and real connection.

And for me, S7 is the ultimate tale of this story, lived through their actions instead of their words. The stolen looks, the holding hands, the constant worry for each other, the self-sacrifice, the sweetness of their interactions, their mutual trust, support and respect and, very importantly, their mutual vulnerability, finally being able to be open and relay in each other. Words aren’t need when you can almost touch what they have created together by the end of the show.

So, yeah, as much as I loved Bangel when I first watched BtVS, I personally fell in love with the Spuffy story. Two flawed individuals getting together and falling in love despite their imperfections, knowing the best and the worst of each other, and still being willing and able to believe in each other and make it work in their own way.

K
katmobile
Beautifully said

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
After the question of “when I fell in love with Spuffy”, I’ve been thinking again about the Spuffy story and why I love it so much. I stand by what I said before, but I think that I’ve come to understand that I also love it because I wish it were real. Angel left Buffy because they faced an unsurpassable situation, his gift to Buffy was to free her from their relationship. Her feeling or POV didn’t matter, it was done for the greater good because he loved her.

In contrast, what I love about Spuffy is that it goes against the odds. Whether it’s her or him pushing for the relationship, it’s definitely about both of them making it work. It’s complicated and, at times, it seems doomed, but our main characters do their best to move on past their mistakes and obstacles. I think that for me, this is one of the most endearing characteristics of their relationship.

Love and relationships are tough, and they can only work if both partners are willing to make sacrifices and meet each other in the middle. Whether in this happens in RL or in a fairy tale is beyond the point, the mere idea of trying so hard is what it draws me passionately to them.

white avenger

white avenger
I love Spuffy simply because it was meant to be, with no question and no limit,. Buffy and Spike are the classic star crossed lovers. They are Ulysses and Penelope, Rhett and Scarlet, Duncan Macleod and Amanda, John Thornton and Mary Kate Danaher, Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn, John Carter and Dejah Thoris, Tarzan and Jane, and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. They are Yin and Yang, lightning and thunder, and love and passion. They are two halves of a whole that, combined, are far more powerful than the two individual parts. The Hero and her Champion.

(And they as almost as good together as Joan and Randy. Almost, but not quite)

Serenityrose

Townie
There are two main reasons why I adore Spuffy
1. The chemistry. Whether they were enemies or lovers or something in between, the chemistry they had together stole the show for me.

2. The evolving nature of their relationship. These two went on a journey. They started in one place and ended up somewhere completely different. It was a rollercoaster filled with crazy, sexy, dark, sad, and beautiful moments. I loved it all.

Top Bottom