• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffyverse Complete Reading Order Guide!

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
This is my understanding of what's canon in the Buffyverse, if you (like me) define "Canon" as anything written, overseen or approved as canon by Joss. Products officially licensed by Fox are not necessarily canon. For comics the basic rule of thumb is: if Joss's name is one the cover it's canon; if it's not, it's not.

All episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series

All episodes of Angel TV series

Buffy: The Origin comic miniseries

Anything under the Tales of the Slayers blanket title

Anything under the Tales of the Vampires blanket title

Buffy and Angel & Faith/Angel seasons 8-12 published by Dark Horse. (Anything in the trade paperbacks or hardcovers is canon)

Angel: After the Fall through issue 17.

There is other stuff that is quasi-canon in that it wasn't overseen by Joss, but directly flows from or into the canon works: Spike: Asylum and Spike: Shadow Puppets; the Spike: After the Fall miniseries, and issue 23 of the IDW Angel series; and the 8-issue Spike miniseries written by Brian Lynch just before IDW lost the license.

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
So I believe this is what I have to get: (I will try to get as many as possible in german, the rest in english. Most of that I got from @Real Angel 's post. And thank you @The Ferg @famicommander @AndrewCrossett for all your help. Could you correct or add things when I forgot something? I try to get the FULL story of all Buffyverse comics, so here we go)

- Buffy Tales (The Hardcover version with all stories of Tales of the Slayer/Vampires)
- Buffy Omnibus 1-7
- Buffy High school Years 1-3 + "No need to fear the Slayer is here"
- Angel (unnamed 1-3)
- Angel Omnibus (Dark Horse)
- Angel Omnibus 1 (IDW)
- Spike Omnibus
- Angel: Only human
- Angel: Barbary coast
- Angel season 6 vol. 1&2
- Angel: The end
- Angel: The John Byrne collection
- Spike: the devil you know
- Illyria: Haunted
- Angel: Masks
- Fallen Angel: reborn
- Spike: The Complete series
- Spike: Into the light
- Fray
- Buffy season 8 (already have it... in german)
- Buffy season 9 (already have it... in german. With the Willow story)

- Spike: A dark place
- Angel & Faith season 9
- Buffy season 10 (already have vol. 1... in german)
- Angel & Faith season 10
- Buffy season 11 already have vol. 1... in german variant cover)
- Angel season 11
- Buffy season 12
-Buffy: Rogues Gallery (probably have it already in german. Have to look when I'm back home if I really have it.)
Did I miss anything? Is this really everything? Is this the best way to get them all? With as less overlabs as possible? And thanks again for all the help! It really means alot to me I don't know how I would find all that out without you. Thank you.
(The order is probably wrong, but for now that's not my problem first I wanna get all stories and then I'll put them in the right order and read/watch everything in the right order. So that I get the full Buffyverse experience!!!!)

Last edited:

famicommander

Potential
What format do you have season 8 and season 9 of Buffy in?

If you have the trade paperbacks, library editions, or omnibuses you'll have it all but if you only got the single loose issues you'll be missing quite a few short stories and such.

Willow Tara

Sineya
What format do you have season 8 and season 9 of Buffy in?

If you have the trade paperbacks, library editions, or omnibuses you'll have it all but if you only got the single loose issues you'll be missing quite a few short stories and such.
I'll give you a better answer when I'm at home right now I only know that I don't have any library editions. Season 8 (in german) has 8 volums/issues (don't know what's the right word) in english it has 40 right?!? without the Fray mini-series wich, if I'm correct, is only one vol/issue in german. It doesn't mean they miss story parts just that they're thicker but not as thick as the library editions. And I don't, know what are the tpb and omnibuses? What are the differences? I know that I have like in some comics litte short stories after the main story of the season in that issue/volume endet. Like for example one where Buffy dreams and the art style changes into the one they were using for The Buffy Animated Series. Or I velieve there was one short story at the end of one comic with Willow and Aluwyn, but I'm not sure... I can give you a bettee answer when I know the difference between the omnibus and the tpb ones. And when I'm at home.
Thank you so much for your help once again @famicommander !

famicommander

Potential
The trade paperbacks and the omnibuses have the same content in them. The paperbacks are just smaller and thus broken into more volumes

You only have to worry if you have the individual monthly paper comic issues. Just tell me everything you have from seasons 8 and 9 and I'll tell you if you are missing anything.

Willow Tara

Sineya
The trade paperbacks and the omnibuses have the same content in them. The paperbacks are just smaller and thus broken into more volumes

You only have to worry if you have the individual monthly paper comic issues. Just tell me everything you have from seasons 8 and 9 and I'll tell you if you are missing anything.
Ok I'll do that when I'm back at home. There I can check what I have. Thank you for taking the time, helping me and explainig everything to me. You all (also @The Ferg ) are so helpful. Thanks.

The Ferg

Scooby
So I believe this is what I have to get: (I will try to get as many as possible in german, the rest in english. Most of that I got from @Real Angel 's post. And thank you @The Ferg @famicommander @AndrewCrossett for all your help. Could you correct or add things when I forgot something? I try to get the FULL story of all Buffyverse comics, so here we go)

Did I miss anything? Is this really everything? Is this the best way to get them all? With as less overlabs as possible? And thanks again for all the help! It really means alot to me I don't know how I would find all that out without you. Thank you.
(The order is probably wrong, but for now that's not my problem first I wanna get all stories and then I'll put them in the right order and read/watch everything in the right order. So that I get the full Buffyverse experience!!!!)
Yea, that look right to me.

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Ok. Thank you. :)

Willow Tara

Sineya
Sorry... me AGAIN with a question. I mean @The Ferg you already really helped me with the omnibuses 1-7 of Buffy but I have an other question to that. I have decided to get the english ones so that I don't miss anything. But I still have questions... I was in this thread: What Comics to Get? And read this post:

Depends on what you like. There are crossovers, some that have a horror feel, others a superhero comic feel, and so on.

Here's a random suggestion: The Death of Buffy which links season 5 to 6, expanding on season 5, explaining how Willow learned the spell to bring back Buffy, and IIRC (it's been awhile since I read this and my memory is fuzzy on this point), also where Spike was (in gratitude) told where to go when he needed a favor (that is, told where to go where he'd get his soul back).

It also shows what made them decide to use the Buffybot, but how it turned out to be a troublesome solution as Dawn was getting in trouble at school (the Buffybot just didn't know how to talk to school principals).
And I think this sounds really interesting. Is that included in Omnibus 1-7 of Buffy. Because I looked at Buffy-wikia (first I looked just at the comic The Death of Buffy and then I followed the link to Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic [because they say Buffys death is issue 14 of Buffy classics]) And there they say this "The series included 63 issues, collected in 18 main trade paperbacks, 7 omnibus, and 49 volumes." under publications, and I don't get it completely. Does it mean those are different ways to get them or does it mean when I get it ALL (not just the omnibuses) then I'll have all of the Buffy classics? That would mean I'd have to include 18 main trade paperbacks and 49 volumes to my shopping/wish list. Could you answer this? So do I only have to get all 7 omnibuses or more?
Thanks for The help.
WT

The Ferg

Scooby
Sorry... me AGAIN with a question. I mean @The Ferg you already really helped me with the omnibuses 1-7 of Buffy but I have an other question to that. I have decided to get the english ones so that I don't miss anything. But I still have questions... I was in this thread: What Comics to Get? And read this post:

And I think this sounds really interesting. Is that included in Omnibus 1-7 of Buffy. Because I looked at Buffy-wikia (first I looked just at the comic The Death of Buffy and then I followed the link to Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic [because they say Buffys death is issue 14 of Buffy classics]) And there they say this "The series included 63 issues, collected in 18 main trade paperbacks, 7 omnibus, and 49 volumes." under publications, and I don't get it completely. Does it mean those are different ways to get them or does it mean when I get it ALL (not just the omnibuses) then I'll have all of the Buffy classics? That would mean I'd have to include 18 main trade paperbacks and 49 volumes to my shopping/wish list. Could you answer this? So do I only have to get all 7 omnibuses or more?
Thanks for The help.
WT
The entirety of the "Classic" series is collected in the Omnibuses. So no, you don't have to worry about the 19 tpb's or 49 digital volumes. The 19 tpb's were the original way the classic series was collected, a few months after the single issues came out. The 49 digital volumes (scroll down to the section entitled 'issues' and you'll find the 49 volumes you mentioned) refers to how Dark Horse released the series (including shorts and mini-series) in digital format. It's just the chronological order from the Omnibuses, but split into single "volumes."

Death of Buffy is actually issues 43-45 plus the one-shot entitled "Lost & Found." It's collected in the 7th Omnibus.

The Omnibus format has everything in chronological order, which mainly just means that issues 51-63 are moved to the front, being set after The Origin, but before Classic issue #1 (Wu-Tang Fang).

I actually don't have the Omnibuses. I slowly collected all 63 of the single issues (cheating on a few hard-to-find issues by finding the corresponding tpb) and read them in order of release. The consequence of reading it like this is that I missed out on all of the various mini-series' (Haunted, Oz), one-shots (Giles, Jonathan), graphic novels (Ring of Fire, Dust Waltz) and shorts (Hello Moon, Cursed). I'm going to get around to all of them eventually, but I have picked up the majority of everything in various forms.

Last edited:
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Ok thank you again. I'm so happy that I can always ask you all. Thanks so much. 😄

thrasherpix

Scooby

Thanks for The help.
WT
For me, I got it all (if I missed anything then I'm unaware of it) in one book that covers between what happened from right after The Gift and leading up to Bargaining (and unlike most comics stays true to the TV canon). I believe this book was all the other stuff collected into one graphic novel. I believe this is where I ordered it from:

https://www.amazon.com/Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-Vol-14/dp/1569717486

Though there's a season 6 short story added in on the end (clearly a different story). It made no sense to me and just struck me as a way to try to get the reader to buy more comics (it didn't work on me).

The Ferg

Scooby
For me, I got it all (if I missed anything then I'm unaware of it) in one book that covers between what happened from right after The Gift and leading up to Bargaining (and unlike most comics stays true to the TV canon). I believe this book was all the other stuff collected into one graphic novel. I believe this is where I ordered it from:

https://www.amazon.com/Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-Vol-14/dp/1569717486

Though there's a season 6 short story added in on the end (clearly a different story). It made no sense to me and just struck me as a way to try to get the reader to buy more comics (it didn't work on me).
That's how I read it too. It's a surprisingly good story. Most of the "classic" stuff doesn't measure up. I personally consider it canon and read it between S5 and 6.

Fun fact: that last story, Withdrawal, is a "sequel" to the "illustrated novel," Creatures of Habit.

Willow Tara

Sineya
I just bought the High School Years: Glutton For Punishment and Parental Parasite. And the second volume of season 10. Yeay! Three comics less on the shopping list! I already read the two High School Years today. I wish there would be a comic shop... or any shop in Germany that sells Buffy comics or other merchandise. :( I only get my thing on the internet, once at a comic con and now finally in a real shop! ... But in ireland were I am for my holidays right now. :( why can't there be a shop that sells Buffy merch in germany?!? I'd be their best customer! ;) If there is one and I only don't know it. Tell me, german Buffy Fans! I neeeed to know it!!!

Willow Tara

Sineya

Ok I'm not at home, but I believe I have the trade paperbacks. The omnibuses are the library editions right? I'll probably try to get Angel & Faith in library editions. I am pretty sure that I don't have the monthly issues. Those would be 40 issues I think, but I only have 8 in season 8 and 6 (I think) in season 9. I also have volume one of season 10 and also of season 11 and I just bought volume 2 and 5 of season 10. I'll tell you more when I'm at home (su or mo).

famicommander

Potential
Ok I'm not at home, but I believe I have the trade paperbacks. The omnibuses are the library editions right? I'll probably try to get Angel & Faith in library editions. I am pretty sure that I don't have the monthly issues. Those would be 40 issues I think, but I only have 8 in season 8 and 6 (I think) in season 9. I also have volume one of season 10 and also of season 11 and I just bought volume 2 and 5 of season 10. I'll tell you more when I'm at home (su or mo).
Sounds like you're fine.

The omnibuses are different than the library editions, though.

The loose issues are one at a time
The trade paperbacks are collections of loose issues
The library editions are collections of trade paperbacks
The omnibuses are even bigger than the library editions

But the content is the same between the paperbacks, library editions, and omnibuses. It's just a matter of how many issues are collected in each volume. All of them will give you all the short stories and extras you need.

Willow Tara

Sineya
Sounds like you're fine.

The omnibuses are different than the library editions, though.

The loose issues are one at a time
The trade paperbacks are collections of loose issues
The library editions are collections of trade paperbacks
The omnibuses are even bigger than the library editions

But the content is the same between the paperbacks, library editions, and omnibuses. It's just a matter of how many issues are collected in each volume. All of them will give you all the short stories and extras you need.
Ok I'll either get trade paperback or library editions. I'll just leave the loose issues and the omnibuses out. Because too many different are too confusing for me. I have a question about Giles: Girl Blue this one belongs to season 11 of Buffy (I think) and if I'm right then there are already single issues but no trade paperback (or others). Is it collected somewhere or when I get the season 11 paperback if Buffy I'll just wait for the paperback of Giles and buy it then?

Also I think in Buffy season 10 there are 6 tpbs in season 11 are just 2 and in season 12 is only one. Am I right? (if I'm right) are there others that are going to be released for season 12 or is it finished with one tpb?

And in Angel season 11 there are 3 tpbs, right? Are there going to be more or is it finished with 3 tpbs for Angel season 11?

Angel and Faith season 9 has 3 library editions. And 5 tpbs, right? And season 10 has 5 tpbs and no library editions, are there going to be library editions?

I am trying to decide if it's better to get library editions or tpbs, because I have to write a list with all ISBNs for my "B-Day_Wishlist". And I don't want to write all tpbs and all library editions. So that's why I'm asking.

And sorry that I always ask you (or assume you know everything) I am just so glad that I have people who I can ask these things! Thank you all!

famicommander

Potential
Okay, let me try to hit these in order
1. The Giles story will be released as its own paperback. One book for the whole story.
2. Buffy Season 10 is six trade paperbacks or or three library editions
3. Buffy season 11 is two trade paperbacks
4. Buffy season 12 is one trade paperback
5. Angel season 11 is three trade paperbacks
6. Angel and Faith season nine is five trade paperbacks or three library editions
7. I assume more library editions will be released but I haven't personally looked into it because I already have all the stories they cover.

All of those are complete as listed.

The omnibuses for these haven't even been released yet, so you don't have to consider those. The omnibuses are fairly recent and so far only cover season 8.

The Ferg

Scooby
Btw Spike: A Dark Place is included in A&F Season 9 Library Edition Vol. 2 and Willow: Wonderland is in Buffy's second volume as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if A&FS10 never got library editions, but I think BS11 has a good chance of getting it's own Library Edition. Who knows.

I also suspect that BS9 and A&FS9 will have it's own Omnibus eventually, although I'd be interested to see where/if they include Willow and Spike.

Willow Tara

Sineya
Btw Spike: A Dark Place is included in A&F Season 9 Library Edition Vol. 2 and Willow: Wonderland is in Buffy's second volume as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if A&FS10 never got library editions, but I think BS11 has a good chance of getting it's own Library Edition. Who knows.

I also suspect that BS9 and A&FS9 will have it's own Omnibus eventually, although I'd be interested to see where/if they include Willow and Spike.
So when I get A&F in library edition then I don't have to get Spike: A Dark Place? (I already have Buffy season 9 in tpbs and Willow Wonderland in a tpb, in german. And I already have the first tpb of Buffy season 11 so I won't get that in a library edition, just try to get the second tpb.) And I'll have to get A&F season 10 in tpbs. I hope they'll make library editions for season 10! Because I don't really like starting a series (is that a serie?) in one format and continue in an other. (if they don't make library editions for season 10, I'll still get season 9 in library editions and season 10 then in tpbs) That's also why I'll get the Buffy seasons in tpbs, because I already started it. Thanks again.

The Ferg

Scooby
So when I get A&F in library edition then I don't have to get Spike: A Dark Place?
Correct.

(is that a serie?)
I think I'd call each separate season a "series" as well. Although an argument could be made for calling BS8-12 "one" series.

in one format and continue in an other. (if they don't make library editions for season 10, I'll still get season 9 in library editions and season 10 then in tpbs) That's also why I'll get the Buffy seasons in tpbs, because I already started it. Thanks again.
I highly doubt that A&FS10 will get Library Ed's, but I could be wrong. I'd try to find the tpb's cheap if I were you for sure.

Top Bottom