• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Question Connor/Dawn is it weird?

Is a Connor/Dawn romantic pairing weird to you?

• Yes, it would be weird.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • No, it would not be weird.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Yes; but only if Angel and Buffy got back together

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

TriBel

Scooby
Although, for a show and a fandom that puts so much emphasis on "chosen family," what is incest, anyways?
Good question. As far as I'm aware, the only universal taboo is Mother/Son (but I don't know whether that claim's historical or theoretical). From what I know from research into the Fred West murders in the UK, Father/Daughter incest, though illegal, was in practice in parts of rural England into the 20th Century (on the basis the father would ensure a "good first time". Some of the incest claims were later disputed by West's brother). As far as BtVS is concerned, I think Spike/Dru and Angel/Darla allude to Mother/Son incest (Dru even identifies herself to Anne as "the other that gave birth to your son" in LMPTM). Beyond that, I think it uses the common-or-garden Oedipus complex (with a side-dish of Totem and Taboo) to excellent effect (but I have a tendency to read that metaphorically). Angelus (who sleeps with his "mother" and kills his actual father) is the one who comes closest to fulfilling childhood fantasies.

I don't think Donnor disturbs family structures inasmuch as family structures are psycho-social but nor does it add to them. It's just a bit...meh.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If Connor and Dawn get together whilst Bangel are together, then Dawn is kind of Connor's step-aunt.

If Bangel aren't together, then there isn't such a problem.

TriBel

Scooby
then Dawn is kind of Connor's step-aunt.
The following seems not to include step-aunts/nephews (about the only combination it permits! 😄. )

Prohibited Marriages
In the United States, every state prohibits you from marrying any of your ancestors or descendants including your brother, your sister, your half-brother, your half-sister, your aunt, your uncle, your niece, your nephew, your mother, your father, your grandmother, your grandfather, your great-grandmother, your great-grandfather, your child, your grandchild, or your great-grandchild.

Some states have additional prohibitions concerning marrying your adoptive brother, your adoptive sister, your step-mother, your step-father, your former step-mother, your former step-father, your mother-in-law, your father-in-law, your former mother-in-law, your former father-in-law, your adoptive mother, your adoptive father, your former adoptive mother, your former adoptive father, your step-child, your former step-child, your adoptive child, your former adoptive child, your daughter-in-law, your son-in-law, your former daughter-in-law, your former son-in-law, or your cousins. More on cousin marriages

Cohen

Hellhound
Back in UPN roleplay chats in 2003, almost every role play I was in had Dawn and Connor together. Super common amongst fans.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Last time I checked (about 10 years ago), first cousins are allowed to marry in some states...typically the same ones that successfully (if only temporarily before the courts threw it out) managed to amend state constitutions to prohibit any form of true marriage between people of the same gender. South Carolina comes to mind.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Cousin Marriage: Yes, that was never a universal taboo. Most of humanity lived in a clan or tribal based rural social system in a very small radius until fairly recently. Not marrying someone you weren't distantly related to really wasn't an option. South was always rural until the Post War era, and never had clannish immigrants to worry about assimilating. So, keeping the incest laws as 18th century Common Law was the path of least resistance.

Cheetah

Townie
I think getting Dawn and Xander together is way weirder than Dawn and Connor. Its almost as icky as putting Buffy with Giles.

I do think Connor and Dawn is a bit obvious though, even if not weird.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It's not a weird or icky pairing per se, it just feels a bit unimaginative and pedestrian; like a 'Bangel, The Next Generation'. There's nothing to suggest that they would be a good fit.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I have shipped Dawn with Xander. Dawn with Jon from Stargate ('mini jack' as some call him), and I've shipped her with Connor. I've never tried to ship Connor with anyone else that I can remember.
I lied. I also ship Connor wirh Cassie Fraser from Stargate. I think shipping wars are for the birds. A ship is in how you build it. Connor and Dawn do make a bit of sense, given their backgrounds. If built right.

Top Bottom