• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did anyone else hate Dawn in this season?

spikenbuffy

"Look, it's blood, it's Summers blood. "
I also like Dawn, and i do not get why she gets so much hatred, especially with the lines "get out..." in the episode blood ties which is the episode when she discovers that her memories are not real, it is understandable that she suffers a lot in season 5, myself i felt so sad or cried for her in the blood ties episode or in the scene with Spike when she blames herself for Tara and all victims's glory.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
Yes, I hated Dawn very much back then. She was just annoying. And she got on my nerves. Although I was younger than she was at that time. I just found her kind very childish. Later on it changed that I liked her.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I didn't like her considering her storyline kind of screwed up the show. We never seen Dawn interact with the characters we have seen in the previous seasons. She came across as a little too self-centered at times. It seemed as if in Seasons 5&6 that everything to Dawn was "Me! Me! Me!" That made me not impressed of her character.

Dora

Scooby
Hated the whole concept of Dawn , thought the whole just arriving from nowhere ridiculous , a single spell that alter's every body's mind , memories, all documentations , even , talking , education etc wow that is some spell !! from a bunch of Monk's chanting on a floor of a church while Glory kicks the door down.
And how was she made out of Buff's Blood where did they get it from they are a bunch of Monks in what country ? Dracula ? he was the only person we saw take blood from Buffy ? and the single Monk keeping in front of Glory, why was he coming to Sunny D to warn Buffy , better to have gone to anywhere else than Sunny D because then Glory would have had the world to search....or make the key a say a piece of toilet paper anything rather than a Slayer's younger sister then lead Glory to her
And the travel in Sunny D ....Blimey, how did that Monk get there!!! only surpassed by Spike getting to small village in Africa before the Ambulance got to Buffy
Much better to have had Buffy go to bed one night , be abducted from her bed , made a full term pregnancy ,returned to her bed in Labour then everyone would have known it was a mystical birth and something bad was coming / than Dawn just arrive
Dislike how Dawn basically was just put there just to make Buffy's life hard , caused her to have to fight Glory and die and then in S6 I would have willingly strangled the selfish little cow myself , S7 dawn was allowed to be more of a sister to Buffy apart from the night every body took crazy pills and threw out Buffy....... but that was just for Spike to ride in and save the damsel
Nothing against Michelle Trachtenburgh which when she was not playing a horrid sister was a good actress, obviously though not in the same class of Alyson and Sarah
What happened to the key part the energy ? was it used up to open the portal ? if so why did not Dawn disappear ? Why did Buffy jump when her sister was still bleeding ? they had the same blood yes , but Dawn was still bleeding, her heart still beating , so why then did the portal close ? and what happened to the dragon ? and if Dawn was made from Buffy's blood , Cloning , why did she not look like Buffy
No Dawn for me I disliked how she was shoe horned in ......now how can I find away to blame it on Spike.....there is his crappy fight on the tower when suddenly the big bad forgot how to fight, which ended with Buffy having to jump ....yep that will do

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
But then they have a baby to take care of . Plus it seems to be easer to just have Dawn appear .

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
No Dawn for me I disliked how she was shoe horned in ......now how can I find away to blame it on Spike.....there is his crappy fight on the tower when suddenly the big bad forgot how to fight, which ended with Buffy having to jump ....yep that will do
I agree with most of your post apart from the above. Spike was trying to sneak up on Doc then Dawn stupidly called his name which drew Doc's attention to him. Spike was too far away to rush at Doc and when he did get close enough, Doc used superspeed to sidestep him and stab him in the back with a knife. Spike was now at a disadvantage since he was injured and couldn't move as quick as he normally would. Once Spike was thrown off the tower and Buffy made it up there, Dawn then stupidly called Buffy's name which drew Doc's attention to her. However, the difference between the fights is that Doc had not yet cut Dawn so he was more defensive with Spike whereas with Buffy he'd done what he needed to so was in a less defensive state.

The thing with Dawn bleeding though is that a) the dress should've soaked up a lot of the blood from where she was cut and b) since it was only a drop that opened the portal, they could've just pricked Dawn's finger and made her bleed that way (though I suppose Dawn nearly causes the world to end with a paper cut is a little bit silly). Dawn could've tried to kick Doc in the balls at least, it may have kept him at enough of a distance so that he couldn't cut her. Calling out both Spike and Buffy's names when they're trying to rescue her is just idiotic. Don't blame Spike for Dawn's rescue failure, blame Dawn.

D
Dora
The Spike thing was just a wind up really and off topic , no I agree dawn again did nothing to protect herself or help the other's ,typical D or if she new she was not real jump , Buffy should never have gone over her judgment distorted by the Spell

TriBel

Scooby
Much better to have had Buffy go to bed one night , be abducted from her bed , made a full term pregnancy ,returned to her bed in Labour then everyone would have known it was a mystical birth and something bad was coming / than Dawn just arrive
So you're suggesting she's raped?o_O I see.... That aside, why must it be a portend of something bad? The last mystical birth that comes to my mind involved shepherds and three wise men.

I just found her kind very childish.
I still find my kids "very childish" at times. :rolleyes: They're both 32: one co-ordinates international arts festivals and the others a psychologist. :D

I like Dawn - both as a character and a device. I can accommodate most of the changes she causes in ways that go beyond the narrative. It doesn't bother me that I can't accommodate all. Life's like that - we don't / can't know everything. I don't expect mystical cause and effect to follow scientific logic.

D
Dora
Not raped as such, Magic implanted baby full term ? it would have made more sense than Just turning up as a 14 year old girl

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I like Dawn and I thing Michelle Trachtenberg did an excellent job as an actress but the material should have been rewritten for an older girl. In the commentary DVD, Alison says that she was impressed by Michelle's acting ability and her opinion > all the internet combined.

I would have preferred a story line where Hank and Joyce had agreed to be Godparents to Dawn and vice versa with Buffy but Dawn's parents are killed in a car crash (or by a vampire, either could work) so Dawn comes to live with them. We then get teenage angst added to loss of parents which could explain all kinds of personality problems which eventually get sorted out. Then we find out she is the Key after she arrives. I think the idea that the monks would be able to rewrite history for everyone who had any contact with Dawn is ludicrous, especially when there could be a perfectly logical explanation for Dawn coming to live with Buffy.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I like what you said Ethan Reigns. That a whole lot easer . You don't have a lot to make up since she was with Buffy & co for only as few months before she shows up as Dawn . Plus you could have Dawn coming to stay with Buffy for a week or two during the summers & the same with Buffy so they know each other while they were growing up . Like you said Alison was impressed by Michelle ability & as for her character its the Writers fault .

Lastly I would had liked to see Dawn with some powers from being the key . Just one would have good but S6 & 7 we didn't see anything.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
We only see Dawn having powers in the comics where she is capable of interdimensional travel and the opening of barriers separating other dimensions from here.

ChaseRules

Sineya
We only see Dawn having powers in the comics where she is capable of interdimensional travel and the opening of barriers separating other dimensions from here.
That because the writers got tired of people asking why Dawn didn't have any powers .:p

Dora

Scooby
That because the writers got tired of people asking why Dawn didn't have any powers .:p
But if Dawn did not have any power's in 6 and 7 apart from being remarkably annoying....why would she get some in S8

ChaseRules

Sineya
All I saying is she should have something since she the Key .

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
If you have a problem with Dawn, you really do not understand sisters around the same age as each other. There was going to be conflict with Dawn and Buffy, they were two teenage sisters dealing with conflicts being under the same roof.

NeonSlayer

Potential
If you have a problem with Dawn, you really do not understand sisters around the same age as each other. There was going to be conflict with Dawn and Buffy, they were two teenage sisters dealing with conflicts being under the same roof.
I don't know. I have two sisters and we may have fought but I was never bratty towards them. They are 2 & 6.2 years older than me. So when I was 14 they were 16 & 20. When Dawn was 14, Buffy was 19.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I don't know. I have two sisters and we may have fought but I was never bratty towards them. They are 2 & 6.2 years older than me. So when I was 14 they were 16 & 20. When Dawn was 14, Buffy was 19.
When women are at 14 and 19, they are at war with their bodies. Sisters compare their body image with each other. Dawn and Buffy very much have the same body image and the woman that played Dawn is really taller then Buffy as adults. Body image was not a factor in the show, because that is really a adult topic talked about teenager women.

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
My brother is 5 years older than me, but we pretty much ignored each other around that time, and also wasn't living under the same roof! I can't say I thought about myself being Dawns age and acting like her, I would have been 13 I think when Dawn first appeared.

thrasherpix

Scooby
It occurs to me that it would've been a great detail if Dawn complained that she couldn't have "real friends like Buffy because of the secrets, and the vampires and other freaks kept scaring them away or even killing them." (Or, for a darker turn of events, turning them, forcing Dawn to kill them, or to see Buffy slay them which would still be symbolic of slaying part of Dawn's life.) THEN her resentment mixed with desire to be part of Buffy and her friends (since Dawn couldn't have any of her own) would've made more sense to me.

ChaseRules

Sineya
You have to remember that before they moved to Sunnydale Buffy was a whole lot different
Dawn could have been mad that nobody payed attraction to her since Buffy was so popular
Plus her parents broke up & she have to move because of Buffy so it makes sense that
Dawn was the way she was

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I have a problem with Dawn in Seasons 5&6, but my reasons have nothing to do with the conflicts I have with my sister.

Top Bottom