• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did anyone else hate Dawn in this season?

thrasherpix

Scooby
As for some aspects of Dawn's behavior, I instantly headcanoned that to be how the monks (who had virtually no exposure to kids) ENVISIONED girls Dawn's age. Probably not what the writers had in mind, though.

I'm actually surprised by how many say that was them at her age. I cringe looking back on myself at 14, but I had so very little in common with Dawn emotion and behavior wise, and at times I even had a cousin a few years older than me I hung around with (along with his friends), but still not like how Dawn is with Buffy and the Scoobies.

But that said, I've known people old enough to be grandmothers (even were in some cases) who could express the same sort of emotional immaturity displayed there (and I've even seen things like eating in a clumsy way, but assumed meds, nerve damage, etc, and in some cases I know I was right).

But again, seeing Dawn as a ball of energy just recently shaped into the form of a human girl (and programmed) by monks who had little idea what girls that age were like (especially if they lived among people more medieval in culture), then I can see her manifesting that way. My headcanon is further that they gave her a soul (explaining behavior, how she was able to invite Harmony in, etc) to better HIDE the Key (more within the soul than the body), but with a soul then Dawn becomes a true intelligence (mago-synthetic?) able to learn and adapt, and thus escape the programming of the monks (by growing out of it).

Moggin

Tasty Townie
As for some aspects of Dawn's behavior, I instantly headcanoned that to be how the monks (who had virtually no exposure to kids) ENVISIONED girls Dawn's age. Probably not what the writers had in mind, though.

I'm actually surprised by how many say that was them at her age. I cringe looking back on myself at 14, but I had so very little in common with Dawn emotion and behavior wise, and at times I even had a cousin a few years older than me I hung around with (along with his friends), but still not like how Dawn is with Buffy and the Scoobies.

But that said, I've known people old enough to be grandmothers (even were in some cases) who could express the same sort of emotional immaturity displayed there (and I've even seen things like eating in a clumsy way, but assumed meds, nerve damage, etc, and in some cases I know I was right).

But again, seeing Dawn as a ball of energy just recently shaped into the form of a human girl (and programmed) by monks who had little idea what girls that age were like (especially if they lived among people more medieval in culture), then I can see her manifesting that way. My headcanon is further that they gave her a soul (explaining behavior, how she was able to invite Harmony in, etc) to better HIDE the Key (more within the soul than the body), but with a soul then Dawn becomes a true intelligence (mago-synthetic?) able to learn and adapt, and thus escape the programming of the monks (by growing out of it).
That's a pretty plausible bit of headcanon work. It perfectly fits the situation. I could see that easily being adopted into the actual canonical writing. I see other options too, but this is very well-worked and logical.

Top Bottom