• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did anyone else hate Dawn in this season?

GaviGrimm

Slayer: She who hangs out a lot in cemeteries.
I understand the importance of Dawn but she annoyed me to no end. She had no respected for Buffy and always got in the way. Buffy went out of her way to protect her, take care of her, even gave her life for her while under so much stress and grief and in the end Dawn kicks her out because Buffy made a couple "bad" choices?

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Season 7 Dawn is a completely different animal from season 5, so all I'll quickly say is that while I don't think Dawn should--or COULD--kick Buffy out in s7, I do believe you're glossing A LOT out over Buffy's unacceptable behavior in s7.

GaviGrimm

I understand the importance of Dawn but she annoyed me to no end. She had no respected for Buffy and always got in the way. Buffy went out of her way to protect her, take care of her, even gave her life for her while under so much stress and grief and in the end Dawn kicks her out because Buffy made a couple "bad" choices?
Maybe I am, but I still don't think she deserves that.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Dawn made it clear even in season 5 that she doesn't like to be coddled and treated like a baby so I can't hold it against her that she's not appreciative of Buffy enough because she's not obligated to appreciate something she doesn't want and didn't ask for. Yes Buffy did give her life for Dawn but all that left Dawn with was more grief and abandonment issues. So it's complicated and Dawn's her own person with her own frustrations and that's understandable especially considering how young she is.

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
The worst thing about Dawn in this season is that she is a contrivance. The show itself addresses this when Buffy finds out she's the key -- she even nearly turns against Dawn out of disgust. But she doesn't - my problem is that the love Buffy has for Dawn isnt really based on growing up with her, it's borne of duty. So in the finale when Buffy sacrifices herself for Dawn, I felt almost nothing. She's not her sister, just a glob of energy that hijacked Buffy's life. Buffy forcing herself to love a mystical being who's a relative stranger is not compelling TV, and it really damages season 5 ino. Luckily Dawn is a lot less annoying in seasons 6 and 7, and even she seems to think she's a redundant nobody.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
The worst thing about Dawn in this season is that she is a contrivance. The show itself addresses this when Buffy finds out she's the key -- she even nearly turns against Dawn out of disgust. But she doesn't - my problem is that the love Buffy has for Dawn isnt really based on growing up with her, it's borne of duty. So in the finale when Buffy sacrifices herself for Dawn, I felt almost nothing. She's not her sister, just a glob of energy that hijacked Buffy's life. Buffy forcing herself to love a mystical being who's a relative stranger is not compelling TV, and it really damages season 5 ino. Luckily Dawn is a lot less annoying in seasons 6 and 7, and even she seems to think she's a redundant nobody.
Except she did grow up with her. Memories maketh the man, and all that. While it might be annoying for the viewer that she sacrifices herself for a brand new, inserted, character, it's not, imo, Buffy forcing herself to do anything. Hell, there are evidence in the season that she struggles with trying to see her as just the Key but not being able to force herself to do that. I suppose I'm just different, cause I consider it brilliant writing. Then again, I adore Dawn :)

(Welcome to the boards, btw!)

GaviGrimm

Except she did grow up with her. Memories maketh the man, and all that. While it might be annoying for the viewer that she sacrifices herself for a brand new, inserted, character, it's not, imo, Buffy forcing herself to do anything. Hell, there are evidence in the season that she struggles with trying to see her as just the Key but not being able to force herself to do that. I suppose I'm just different, cause I consider it brilliant writing. Then again, I adore Dawn :)

I'm not a Dawn fan but I agree. I always looked at it from Buffy's point of view instead of my own. I think the season worked itself out well.

Honoria Dedlock

Potential

You're right. Memories do maketh the man (or woman)...which is why I think phony, magically conjured memories maketh an equally phony relationship. You could argue Buffy grew to love Dawn in the short time she actually knew her, and in fact I think she did...but Buffys sermons to Dawn and all that stuff seem to come from a place other than real love, I honestly think she does it because she feels she has to. And it shows, when Buffy is distant and sometimes resentful of the burden Dawn has become. I get you have a different opinion though...just my two cents!

Thanks for the welcome 😀

thrasherpix

Scooby
I see Dawn as much a victim as Buffy. I do see Buffy as the victim of a spell rather than sisterly love, though I think it grows beyond that in later seasons (perhaps Buffy's sacrifice made Dawn "real" and not just a mere spell as flimsy as most magicks that tend to evaporate fast when destroyed).

raatkirani

Townie
I don’t hate Dawn but I hate the idea of her as a plot device.
Also I’m rewatching right now and the beginning of s5 seems a bit awkward and I think I transferred that onto Dawn.

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
Yes I agree! I HATED S5 and S6 Dawn but S7 Dawn was great. I think at first she was super selfish, a major Klepto and just really annoying however, being on the boards I made a Dawn thread and I kinda get her more now. She had been through a lot and life really hasn’t been easy for her... that doesn’t give her the excuse to be a brat though! I totally get what your saying, and I don’t dislike Dawn but I do get what you are saying and agree that she was bratty, selfish and quick to blame Buffy for stuff AT FIRST. I did find it funny when Dark Willow told her that she moaned a lot 😂! However she grew as a person and in the end she was lovely! Love this thread! 😊 💕

LeeJones41

Potential
She was annoying as hell.. She was freaking 14! and was acting like a 3 years old brat! Just like how sometimes it pisses me off that parents don't do anything to discipline their bratty kids, I was annoyed that joyce or buffy didn't say anything to her if she was being a jerk or screaming.. or doing what she usually does. I was 14 once.. And I sure as hell didn't act like her.. In fact, even when i watched buffy back then I found her to be really annoying.. She would get pissed off when buffy's friends won't discuss things with her? Well of course they wouldn't! because they are HER friends! not yours! Could she not have made her own friends? Or did her childish behavior kept all the people away from her even who were her age.
Lol sorry if my post makes me sound like i have anger problems hehe.. I just watched a couple of episodes of season 5 and was totally annoyed by dawn!
No. I never disliked Dawn. I found the Scoobies - Buffy included- just as annoying as her at times.

Oromous

Tragedy Fanatic
All this talk about Dawn being a bratty teen just raises my anticipation of her character. It's a teen drama, so I'm pretty used to the amount of whining and self-pity already abundant in other characters.

Top Bottom